• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

DB class 90 updates

geoffk

Established Member
Yes.
So maybe now the psudogoverment that is Network Rail will listen to the FoCs and make it financially viable to run electric trains, or perhaps someone will step up and rebate running electrics against their cost to try and prevent burning so much oil.
Can someone explain please how electricity costs are met by passenger TOCs? Are they even accounted for separately? And will be classes 93 and 99 now being built be more energy-efficient? And do Section 8 rail freight grants still exist? Presumably these are/were for capital expenditure only and not to help with things like electricity costs.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bevan Price

Established Member
The 86s were withdrawn in the hope that more electrification would see them return to traffic, that hasn't happened and now some seem to be being exported.
GB Railfreight's 99s are still a few years away, the 90s might be attractive to them considering they have a number of flows under the wires. Not sure how reliable the 92s are on the sleeper these days.
More likely that the 86s were nearly 60 years old, and starting to approach the condition commonly described as "knackered", and newer locos were available to replace them, as the 90s were no longer in use on London / Norwich services.

Mollman

Established Member
For the umpteenth time, only Class 92s can be used on the sleeper due to the train supply rating (and ignoring fitting Dellner couplers).
My apologies, I had not actually seen that before.
More likely that the 86s were nearly 60 years old, and starting to approach the condition commonly described as "knackered", and newer locos were available to replace them, as the 90s were no longer in use on London / Norwich services.
Whilst that is probably the case, I am only reporting what Freightliner said.

Wyrleybart

Established Member
Are the DB Cargo 90s in a worse state than the ex Anglia ones now with Freightliner?
You can draw your own conclusions. Mine are that ever since EWS took over the 90s from BR they seems to have been in and out of store. Stored locos once they become cold and damp suffer electrical and electronic issues. The ex Anglia ones were in pretty much constant use by INTERCITY then Virgin then Anglia, so have seen considerably less storage.

Provided the kit is regularly examed, replaced and renewed it should benefit from regular use.

That is only my opinion.

Spaceship323

Are the DB Cargo 90s in a worse state than the ex Anglia ones now with Freightliner?
The black ones (four I think) were refurbished for Grand Central to be used on the Blackpool - London service that was cancelled during covid and used instead by DB. 90021 was recently rebuilt and returned to use after a few years in store. Of the red ones 90035 and 90037 were in regular use until June

Whistler40145

Established Member
The black ones (four I think) were refurbished for Grand Central to be used on the Blackpool - London service that was cancelled during covid and used instead by DB. 90021 was recently rebuilt and returned to use after a few years in store. Of the red ones 90035 and 90037 were in regular use until June
Thank you for your reply

Spaceship323

Surprised no-one's mentioned this yet, on the latest DB Cargo tender list are:
90017/18/22/23/25/27/30/31/32/33/38/40
These all appear to be the long term stored ones at Crewe, I think only 18 and 40 have been in a usable condition in the last few years

Last edited:

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Surprised no-one's mentioned this yet, on the latest DB Cargo tender list are:
90017/18/22/23/25/27/30/31/32/33/38/40
How easy will it be to get them out of Crewe Electric Depot? Are they more likely to be scrapped where they are currently located.

Kite159

Veteran Member
I would imagine Freightliner might buy some of the 90s, solely for spare parts to keep their batch going for future years.

To be honest although a couple of them COULD be reinstated to traffic given enough time and money, is there the traffic to use them on? I think they will be stripped of what remains for either LSL or Freightliner and the remains disposed of

Sonik

To be honest although a couple of them COULD be reinstated to traffic given enough time and money, is there the traffic to use them on?
Yes - there are plenty of services running diesel under wires today, and even FL now seem to have relegated their 90s mostly to Crewe-Mossend (whereas they previously ran frequently all the way from Ipswitch). Haven't seen a DRS 88 down south for a while either. So it seems like the electrics are only still being used where they are needed for timings over Shap/Beattock.

So the issue must simply be electricity cost, but with the oil price now heading back up, and electricity wholesale price much lower than in 2022, the balance may soon tip back in favor of electric. Albeit it may take a while for the recent steep price falls to work through due to FOCs or NR being locked into supply contracts.

TBH I think most of the FOCs must know this and will be looking ahead, but DBC in general are in pretty bad shape and seem to be in a state of manged decline.

Last edited:

zwk500

Veteran Member
Yes - there are plenty of services running diesel under wires today, and even FL now seem to have relegated their 90s mostly to Crewe-Mossend (whereas they previously ran frequently all the way from Ipswitch). Haven't seen a DRS 88 down south for a while either. So it seems like the electrics are only still being used where they are needed for timings over Shap/Beattock.

So the issue must simply be electricity cost, but with the oil price now heading back up, and electricity wholesale price much lower than in 2022, the balance may soon tip back in favor of electric. Albeit it may take a while for the recent steep price falls to work through due to FOCs or NR being locked into supply contracts.

TBH I think most of the FOCs must know this and will be looking ahead, but DBC in general are in pretty bad shape and seem to be in a state of manged decline.
Of course, a freight train is fairly useless if it couldn't get into the actual yard, because the wires don't go that far (London Gateway looking at you, although Felixstowe also wouldn't need that much to allow stuff that runs via Wembley to go over to electric).

Sonik

Of course, a freight train is fairly useless if it couldn't get into the actual yard, because the wires don't go that far (London Gateway looking at you, although Felixstowe also wouldn't need that much to allow stuff that runs via Wembley to go over to electric).
For Felixtowe, FL used to swap locos at Ipswitch but it seems this is no longer done and most are now diesel all the way to Crewe and beyond

There are plenty of routes that go via NLL but anything Wembly-Crewe-Mossend is doable with 90s, they also used to run to Garston. WCML is the busiest intermodal route by some margin

I guess that swapping locos en-route adds to staffing costs, so it only works out if electric gives a decent cost saving, which at the moment it appears that it doesn't.

notverydeep

I wonder if the £12.50 each way for a diesel using the North London line will make any difference… ;)

zwk500

Veteran Member
I guess that swapping locos en-route adds to staffing costs, so it only works out if electric gives a decent cost saving, which at the moment it appears that it doesn't.
Spot on. Loco swap adds 20-40 minutes into the schedule depending on location, potentially meaning you miss a path, and requires a shunt on site available to guide the driver in and then hook everything up. Also requires either the same driver to be capable of both traction or two drivers for one train, and a yard with enough capacity for the shunts. And then there's loco utilisation, it's very inefficient to have a 66 run just to Ipswich and then layover waiting for the next lecky hauled train in.
There's also the entire diagram to consider but they could of course be reworked if desired.

It would be nice if they donate the shell to the heritage centre to be cosmetically fixed up

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
If anyone wants to start a thread about whether the Felixstowe branch should be electrified or not then they are welcome to do so but in the Speculative Ideas section of the forum leaving this thread free for the discussion of DBC class 90s.

Edit: a thread now exists at the link below:

Last edited by a moderator:

Brian1947

Reported on WNXX yesterday that 050 has been moved to the maintenance facility for final stripping out and release for disposal
According to a Youtube video posted 4 hours ago 050 is to be removed by road and taken to an undisclosed location for cosmetic restoration.

Any guesses?

samrammstein

Off Facebook:

APT P UK Class 370

Has some of you are probably aware by now, mine and James next project is 90050. We had hoped, and as i'm aware, mean't to keep it quiet but posted on other Facebook pages that buggered that up lol.
Anyways we managed to get 43018 presentable so 90050 isn't that hard of a challenge...he said, with his eyes closed. Oh well gives us something to do over winter.... This is classed as a loan from Freightliner so please not daft questions if it's going mainline lol
1f601.png
1f601.png
also updates on this will be done on it's own Facebook page when we start it."

https://www.facebook.com/AptPUkClas...T7WtGy3nkbMcpLxJ2sh77GDp2gMHCis47C7FFGDCTxs6l

leomartin125

90040 I’m surprised to see on this list. I have a photo of it gleaming in new DB red in May 2016 and again saw it in traffic on 4M25 in Nov 2018 so out of all the the ones on that list, that one has been in traffic the most recent I believe and has obviously had a considerable sum spent on it.