• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

DB Ic2 Catering

Status
Not open for further replies.

wellhouse

Can anyone report post Covid experience of catering on DB Ic2 services?

Pre Covid reports on other forums suggest a disappointing trolley service.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Shinkansenfan

Yes, disappointing food offering on the IC2. Especially compared to the ICE offerings.

Some sample listings from a IC2 menu this past September:

3 types of sandwiches: 1) volkornbort (4.20 euros), 2) farmerschinken (4.20), 3) wrap falafel (4.20).

Salziges: Huober Bio-brezel, Lisas Bio-kesselchips, ultje erdnusse, rugenwalder muhlen snack.

Subes: various candies, chocolates, cookies.

Soft drinks, coffee/tea, alcoholic drinks.

My suggestion: stock up at a station food vendor prior to boarding an IC2 if feeling peckish.

duesselmartin

Established Member
even the trolley service is a hit and mix. You could be in a spot of bother travelling from Dortmund to Dresden without a drop to drink.

tasky

This is very disappointing to hear as I very much enjoyed the food on the DB IC train from Salzburg to Frankfurt pre-Covid. I can personally confirm that several orders of sausages were made to my seat.

Update: This was a single decker IC train rather than an IC2 so that explains the catering

tasky

A bit of researching has dug this up, which seems extremely odd. Apparently it depends which IC2 you end up on

https://www.europebyrail.eu/a-double-dose-of-german-ic2-trains/

Oddly, the menu on the two different IC2 train types is not the same. The white wine on offer on the Stadler KISS trains is streaks ahead of what you’ll find on the Bombardier services, but oddly there’s no red wine at all on the KISS units. You can drink prosecco on the overnight run to Vienna (or indeed during the day as the KISS trains shuttle from the Baltic to Saxony and back), but you’ll search in vain for sparkling wine on the Bombardier trains.

Lavazza coffee for €2.50 a cup on the Bombardier trains but Dallmayr espresso at €2 a shot with KISS. All in all, the KISS trains in eastern Germany (and on that nightly jaunt to Vienna) have much the better range with a tasty selection of wraps and sandwiches – which just don’t feature on the Bombardier services.

Fragezeichnen

I don't entirely get why DB are tarnishing the IC brand with these units/coaches rather than using D or bringing back IR for them.

This is, like it or not, what the IC brand has been realigned to be. Over the next few years, all 'classic' IC1 trains will be upgraded to ICE or switched to IC2. If a new brand was used for the IC2, the result would be the end of the IC brand.

duesselmartin

Established Member
low quality brands seem to be a general European trend. SNCF created an new name with Oigo but in the end many TGV routes are downgraded Ryanair style.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I would suggest that you get something to eat and or drink from a shop / supermarket before boarding just in case. You may need to bring a cup or glass etc for any drinks that you may buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.