• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Decarbonising Scotland’s Railways

clc

Established Member
Alex Hynes did a podcast with Gareth Dennis yesterday. He gave an update on the Decarbonisation Action Plan around 55 minutes in:-

It was good to hear that Ministers are still committed to the 2035 target.

2B68476B-6759-46CD-9130-8C4727A7547A.jpeg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Alex Hynes did a podcast with Gareth Dennis yesterday. He gave an update on the Decarbonisation Action Plan around 55 minutes in:-

It was good to hear that Ministers are still committed to the 2035 target.

View attachment 139787
Good find and thanks for telling us the time point. I like the way he says putting the wires up is the easy bit and its the civils that hard and costing a lot of money. Oh and him trumpeting that Scotland can do it for £2m/km but its £3m/km south of the border! Says money is tight compared to recent years for investment but are getting on with the £150m feeder station works. They have more for operate maintain renew than was expecting for CP7 so maybe that can help lubricate progress. Anyhow the plan is going through a three year update as we know and we will see that later in the year. What i heard very firmly keeping the teams together and creating a production line environment is what has driven down costs so im pretty sure once E.Kilbride/Barrhead are completed those teams will remerge over on the East side.

snowball

Established Member
Thanks for that. I've watched it from 55mins to the end, will maybe watch the earlier part later. I found it encouraging - basically they seem to be sticking with all the plans.

Round about 1:05 there's an interesting bit about deciding to go ahead with Levenmouth, though no doubt a lot more formality was required after the chat in the pub.

I'm pleased that, as @Nicholas Lewis says, Hynes confirmed that the first review of the decarbonisation programme, originally due this spring, will still be published this year.

Last edited:

clc

Established Member
At around 37 minutes into the podcast Alex Hynes mentioned that the big renewal project in CP7 will be Perth (he hoped lessons would be learned from Carstairs which the NR Scotland team thought they could have done a better job on by challenging standards and requirements). Is the Perth renewal project likely to take until the end of CP7 meaning electrification to Perth is unlikely to happen until CP8?

HSTEd

Veteran Member
There are sufficient weasel words in the small print for that Scotland railway map for me to be entirely skeptical about how much electrification will actually happen.

snowball

Established Member
I've now watched the rest of the chat. He mentions that they now expect signalling in Scotland to be ultimately controlled from eight centres. At the peak of the enthusiasm for ROCs it was going to be two, then one.

Altnabreac

Established Member
So 6 of the seven cities then?

Seems likely. Could see an argument for Stirling or Carstairs instead of Clachnaharry but suspect remote canal bridge monitoring is so niche as to be expensive to implement.

However I’d be certain that Banavie will survive as one of the 8. RETB plus the canal makes abolishing it very unlikely.

mcmad

Carstairs is already controlled from Glasgow so not sure why that's getting suggested. Suspect the list in post 218 is reasonable, maybe Clachnaharry will just be a crossing box and somewhere like Dumfries for the South West area?

waverley47

West of Scotland Signalling Centre (Cowlairs, controls the E&G, Dunblane, various lines across the Central Belt)

West Scotland Regional Operations Centre (Ayrshire and G&SW lines, next door to the WSSC at Springburn)

Edinburgh (ECML and lines up as far as Aberdeen)

Aberdeen for the line to Inverness

Inverness for the Far North and Kyle

Banavie for the WHL

I'm unsure as to the other two. Carlisle and something for the Stranraer line?

Falcon1200

Established Member
West of Scotland Signalling Centre (Cowlairs, controls the E&G, Dunblane, various lines across the Central Belt)

West Scotland Regional Operations Centre (Ayrshire and G&SW lines, next door to the WSSC at Springburn)

Edinburgh (ECML and lines up as far as Aberdeen)

Not sure why existing arrangements would be changed; Edinburgh currently controls the E&G throughout, and the West of Scotland Signalling Centre (WSSC) controls everything out of Glasgow Central High Level (including the interface with Carlisle SC on the WCML, so no need for any more of Scotland's railways to be controlled from Carlisle!). Logic would suggest extending control areas to contiguous routes, eg WSSC extends from Barrhead to Annan and Ayr to Stranraer.

Altnabreac

Established Member
I made the assumption ( probably incorrectly) that Thornton would be a possible location - possibly I am mixing up grid feeders and ROC signals

The reference is to Dunfermline now being Scotland’s 8th city.

Scotrail’s 7 cities Intercity branding hasn’t caught up with Dunfermline’s new legal status.

mcmad

Are these not the same thing, just different names depending on what was in vogue at the time? Certainly its all 1 building not two.

The Puddock

Are these not the same thing, just different names depending on what was in vogue at the time? Certainly its all 1 building not two.
Yes it’s all under one roof and the whole lot is referred to as simply WSSC. It also doesn’t control the E&G or Dunblane, the former is controlled by the Cowlairs and Cumbernauld workstations in Edinburgh IECC and the latter still has a mechanical signalbox at the station.

waverley47

Not sure why existing arrangements would be changed; Edinburgh currently controls the E&G throughout, and the West of Scotland Signalling Centre (WSSC) controls everything out of Glasgow Central High Level (including the interface with Carlisle SC on the WCML, so no need for any more of Scotland's railways to be controlled from Carlisle!). Logic would suggest extending control areas to contiguous routes, eg WSSC extends from Barrhead to Annan and Ayr to Stranraer.

I was under the impression that those two were separate operations under the same roof, ie one level for south of the river with all the bells and whistles and one for north of it.

Also has the entire E&G gone over to Edinburgh, as I was under the impression that at least some of it north of Greehill junction was still the WSSC

Yes it’s all under one roof and the whole lot is referred to as simply WSSC. It also doesn’t control the E&G or Dunblane, the former is controlled by the Cowlairs and Cumbernauld workstations in Edinburgh IECC and the latter still has a mechanical signalbox at the station.

Ahh just seen this.

The Puddock

I was under the impression that those two were separate operations under the same roof, ie one level for south of the river with all the bells and whistles and one for north of it.

Also has the entire E&G gone over to Edinburgh, as I was under the impression that at least some of it north of Greehill junction was still the WSSC
The workstations in WSSC are all on one floor, in a single large room. The E&G has never been controlled by WSSC.

Altnabreac

Established Member
Ok I am with you now! As my son in law was born in Girvan Ayrshire, I try and keep up!

There would be a certain logic in Girvan being one of the 8.

Once Girvan is electrified and included in the Glasgow - Ayr electrics you could run a battery Girvan - Stranraer shuttle 2 hourly service.

Signalling wise this could pretty much operate “One Engine in Steam” but you’d still need some signaller presence to fringe with WSCC and Girvan would be a logical location.

Probably a simplified RETB type system.

clc

Established Member
In this podcast Alex Hynes talked about decarbonisation, fleet procurement and scrapping peak fares amongst other things.

Passenger numbers had increased by 4% since the fares trial started. They hadn’t done any paid advertising in case demand increased to such an extent that it would cause overcrowding, but there would be a big paid advertising campaign in January when demand is normally lower.

On the suburban fleet procurement he said they had been ‘ready to go’ for a while but were still awaiting clarification from Scottish Ministers on what funding would be available. They would assess whether there was a business case to replace the HSTs (with hybrid electrics) earlier than 2030 - this would require Ministers’ permission to approach the market.

The refresh of the Decarbonisation Action Plan was ongoing and would be published ‘in due course’. He commented on how the public finances were much tighter than they were 3 years ago when the original plan was published. He made reference to the ‘mega project’ to electrify Dunblane to Aberdeen, and said some advance works had started for this.

https://x.com/greensignallers/status/1732710579368825164?s=61&t=UyoTeT5kB81xizJMJ3aw_g

Last edited:

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Passenger numbers had increased by 4% since the fares trial started.

Interesting. I wonder how thst compares to:

1) the increase in passenger numbers on the rest of the network
2) forecasts

and what impact it has had on reveneue. 4% doesn’t seem very much in the context of reducing a significant proportion of fares paid by a much higher percentage.