• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Delay Repay after missed connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Re 4/4

Hello,

On 29 June 2018 I bought a super off-peak return (£53) BRI-SFR intending to travel as follows:

1700 BRI - RDG 1815 (train 1A26)
1831 RDG - GLD 1905 (the ticket goes one stop further because I'll need that on the return portion).

The outwards train was 45 minutes late due to signalling problems at Bath. When I got to Reading, that's when the fun started:

1831 to Guildford - missed already
1902 - missed that one too, just in time to see it pull out of the platform
1932 - cancelled (problems with traction equipment)
so I finally got the 2004, which arrived 7 late at 2054. (That one was almost cancelled too due to faulty air conditioning.)

That's just short of two hours late - but if I fill in the delay repay form, there's only space to indicate one delay, so do I risk GWR just treating it as a 45 minute delay on the first train? Can I send them a letter instead, or do I have to use their official form?

For future reference, in cases like this, is it reasonable to get some food at Reading when you know you'll be delayed and claim the cost of that back too?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

island

Veteran Member
I would write a note explaining the missed connection and enclose it with the form, marking the delay down as 1-2 hours. You will be entitled to compensation if, as it seems, the cause of the delay was within the control of the railway industry.

Train companies do not reimburse the cost of refreshments other than in the most exceptional of circumstances.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
I would write a note explaining the missed connection and enclose it with the form, marking the delay down as 1-2 hours. You will be entitled to compensation if, as it seems, the cause of the delay was within the control of the railway industry.

Train companies do not reimburse the cost of refreshments other than in the most exceptional of circumstances.
An important clarification is that they can only *not pay out* if the delay was entirely outside the control of the rail industry - it is not that it must be within the control. There are numerous circumstances which are somewhat, but not 'entirely' outside the control of the rail industry, where this differentiation may be the difference between compensation and no compensation!

etr221

While a note giving details might usefully be added, if the form only provides for a 'simple' journey (from A to B) with a single delay, then in this case journey is from BRI to GLD, with delay from 1905 (your scheduled arrival time) to 2054 (your actual arrival time). But my view would be that I was making one journey (on one ticket) with one delay (of xx minutes) - regardless of how how many trains/operators were involved, so would provide those details, and expect compensation based on that, without going into any more detail unless required: if they need more details than their form provides for, that's their problem

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
What I do in cases like this is write the original itinerary along with the actual times on a piece of paper. Attach the tickets to the pierce of paper and photograph them and upload them to the website when you make the claim.

It's never failed yet for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.