• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Delay Repay based on changing trains?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScotGG

Established Member
Hi, if a direct train is cancelled is the award allowed to be based by the TOC on taking two trains instead of one direct train?

For example, the last 10:30pm is cancelled. The TOC then basis delay repay on taking the 11pm then changing and taking another train to reach destination?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Starmill

Veteran Member
You are entitled to compensation according to the delay which you actually incurred. If you were advised of the alternative by the station staff or an announcement or message on the screens at the station then presumably you took the advice and made the claim accordingly?

Bertie the bus

Established Member
If you chose to delay yourself by waiting for the next direct service then I don't see any reason why the TOC shouldn't do that. Obviously that depends on whether a passenger would know that catching a service that doesn't go to their intended destination would reduce the delay.

Starmill

Veteran Member
If you chose to delay yourself by waiting for the next direct service then I don't see any reason why the TOC shouldn't do that. Obviously that depends on whether a passenger would know that catching a service that doesn't go to their intended destination would reduce the delay.
It is quite common for some companies to advise based on direct trains. For example on one occasion I was waiting for an xx30 departure from Birmingham New Street to Gloucester on CrossCountry, which was cancelled at short notice. I spoke to the ticket office staff, who advised me that the next Gloucester service was the one an hour behind. I waited in a café for that train and made a claim for an hour's delay, which was paid, although after some prevarication.

I was aware that there was an alternative way to Gloucester by taking the xx42 service to Cheltenham Spa and then changing to a GWR service. I didn't undertake to use that option though because I thought it was better to follow the advice I had been given by the station staff. It was also not made clear to me whether my ticket would be accepted by GWR on their Cheltenham Spa to Gloucester train, as this would not have normally been valid.

If CrossCountry had made the arrangement for me and others going to Gloucester to use the departure 12 minutes later to Cheltenham Spa and then change either to the GWR train or road transport, the delay to the arrival time in Gloucester would have been less than half an hour, so no compensation would have been due.

ScotGG

Established Member
Did you wait until the next direct train then?

It wasn't for me but a friend. There was no later direct train as the last direct of the day was cancelled apparently. There was an alternative route with changes but added much time to the originally planned journey - but perhaps less than 2 hours (assuming all transfers worked out ok). Was wondering whether the TOC should give 1 or 2 hours. In the end they took a cab.

Established Member
It wasn't for me but a friend. There was no later direct train as the last direct of the day was cancelled apparently. There was an alternative route with changes but added much time to the originally planned journey - but perhaps less than 2 hours (assuming all transfers worked out ok). Was wondering whether the TOC should give 1 or 2 hours. In the end they took a cab.
In that case then no delay repay is due. A refund of any unused tickets would be though.

Status
Not open for further replies.