• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Delay Repay - Both Tocs late

Scott W

Evening all,

Looking for some advice please to if I have a valid Delay Repay claim, and if so off of who.

Earlier today travelled from Birmingham New St to Alfreton via Chesterfield. 16:03 - 17:03 on Cross Country, and 17:22 - 17:32 on Northern.

Final arrival +19, but where it's not so straightforward:

1. Both services were late, so I only caught the Northern Service because it was late.

2. If Northern are responsible for my delay, I am able to claim as their Delay Repay system is +15.

3. If Cross Country are responsible for my delay, I am not able to claim as their Delay Repay system is +30.

Thanks...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tazi Hupefi

You claim from the first operator that causes the first meaningful delay, although some operators don't handle that so well.

It also depends on what time you arrived at your destination, versus what time you originally intended to arrive. The bits in the middle are essentially irrelevant.

Given the CrossCountry delay didn't cause you any difficulty in making your connection, aside from rushing a bit, your delay repay compensation needs to come from Northern.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Evening all,

Looking for some advice please to if I have a valid Delay Repay claim, and if so off of who.

Earlier today travelled from Birmingham New St to Alfreton via Chesterfield. 16:03 - 17:03 on Cross Country, and 17:22 - 17:32 on Northern.

Final arrival +19, but where it's not so straightforward:

1. Both services were late, so I only caught the Northern Service because it was late.

2. If Northern are responsible for my delay, I am able to claim as their Delay Repay system is +15.

3. If Cross Country are responsible for my delay, I am not able to claim as their Delay Repay system is +30.

Thanks...
What was your expected arrival time into Alfreton and what time did you actually arrive? CrossCountry are liable for your delay as it was their train which delayed you first.

Tazi Hupefi

What was your expected arrival time into Alfreton and what time did you actually arrive? CrossCountry are liable for your delay as it was their train which delayed you first.
How have CrossCountry caused ANY delays whatsoever, given that they made their planned Northern connection, which then arrived late at their destination.

Scott W

Northern was 17:51 into Alfreton vs 17:32 scheduled.

Cross Country 17:28 into Chesterfield vs 17:02, so would have ordinarily missed the 17:22 Northern, but it was late at 17:41, so a comfortable connection on the day.

Tazi Hupefi

Cross Country 17:28 into Chesterfield vs 17:02, so would have ordinarily missed the 17:22 Northern, but it was late at 17:41, so a comfortable connection on the day.
Easy claim with Northern I'd imagine.

They may automatically reject initially on the basis that there was insufficient time to make the connection according to the official data, but if that happens, appeal it and state what you've told us.

I'd probably also ask for a free journey ticket rather than compensation for a 15 min delay, you might get better value that way!

AlterEgo

Veteran Member

You can find a similar case here: https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/xc-refusing-delay-repay.264564/#post-6690068 - this is not the only case I have seen where a TOC has tried to push back against custom and practice.

You may find that Northern pay out without quibble using the automated process, but it does appear that there are some moves afoot to clarify that if a TOC fouls a booked connection, that TOC is liable (in your case, XC) for the delay compensation - regardless of whether subsequent trains were late. That is to say - XC are liable as they caused the first meaningful delay, by fouling your connection at Chesterfield.