• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Delay repay for abandoned sail part of Rail and Sail ticket?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joncombe

I purchased a ticket from Greenock Central to Dunoon on Saturday, for travel on Sunday. This is a Rail and Sail ticket routed to Gourock and then via the CalMac ferry from there to Dunoon.

I took the 1st train of the day, the service being reduced and starting later due to strike. This is meant to connect with the 10:20 sailing to Dunoon which should arrive at 10:45am and from there I was planning to take bus 489 to Toward. This is meant to connect with this sailing (it begins from the ferry terminal). I took the train to Gourock but at Gourock when I tried to catch the ferry it simply said "Service Suspended" and there was a replacement bus. There was obviously no way I was going to get to Dunoon in time for the bus I planned to catch and the next one wasn't for another 2 hours which meant it wasn't possible for me to make the journey (as I had to get to Paisley later on).

I had of course missed the return train by then too, so I took the bus back to avoid a long wait for the train. So I only used part of the outward ticket and none of the return. Is it possible to claim a refund for this ticket on the basis it was abandoned due to disruption? National Rail isn't very clear and I can't find out whether you can claim for abandoning a journey part way through only if you don't travel at all.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Delay Repay cannot be claimed for an abandoned journey, but a full refund from the point of purchase can. That includes if you did make part of the journey but disruption would prevent you completing it.

Delay Repay cannot be claimed for an abandoned journey, but a full refund from the point of purchase can. That includes if you did make part of the journey but disruption would prevent you completing it.
I recently travelled out from Reading to IOM with Rail Sail. High winds however mean that my 0845 return sailing today is cancelled, which would effectively delay my return by ship for 24 hours. Having made alternative arrangements to get home today, is the refund that I can claim from GWR Reading station (the point of purchase) in due course half the original fare paid please?

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
I recently travelled out from Reading to IOM with Rail Sail. High winds however mean that my 0845 return sailing today is cancelled, which would effectively delay my return by ship for 24 hours. Having made alternative arrangements to get home today, is the refund that I can claim from GWR Reading station (the point of purchase) in due course half the original fare paid please?
Was the original fare a return?

unlevel42

A few years ago a SailRail Belfast to Sheffield was delayed by a few hours between Ayr and Glasgow.
I made the claim at the end of the journey in Sheffield who sorted it out including later exchanging the ScotRail only voucher which was sent as full repayment. Thanks Sheffield.

joncombe

Just an update here (sorry I'm a bit sloppy at remembering to update posts I make sometimes...)

I submitted a request for a refund to Scotrail. The did reply back with an email asking for some of the same information on the form but after that refunded with no issue. I am pleasantly surprised as I was fearing it would be a bit of an argument to get the money back so I'm pleased that was not the case.

Thanks all for the advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.