• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Delay Repay. How Long to Claim?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeterY

Established Member
I'm currenty on day 2 of a 14 day All Line Rover.
The train i intended to catch this morning 0812 from Reading to Newport which was cancelled. (GWR). I had seat resevation on a Cross Country service to Birmingham, from Newport, which I missed. In all fairness I went direct to Birmingham so gained an hour but i needed the new track.
Do i have a claim? How late can I submit a claim? I can't do any scanning of tickets until I get home.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

_toommm_

Established Member
TOCs give 28 days to claim from the date of your original delay.

As for if you can claim, look at the time you actually arrived at your destination vs. what time you planned to arrive. If it's more than the cutoff for the train company who originally delayed you, go ahead! If not, you could be sneaky and just claim for the delay which makes you eligible for delay repay - though, GWR are quite tight and operate a passenger charter as opposed to delay repay, which is where claims are only eligible if the delay was inside the control of the railway.

Last edited by a moderator:

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Were you delayed, arriving at Birmingham New Street, by 60 minutes or more?

If so, you may claim. If not, you aren’t eligible for compensation.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
which is where claims are only eligible if the delay was inside the control of the railway
It's slightly and crucially different to that - claims can only not be paid if the cause was entirely outside the control of the rail industry. So it's an exemption which the TOC must prove applies, so the "burden of proof" as such lies upon them. "Entirely outside the control of" is also different to "not within the control of", especially in areas where there are preventative actions that the railway could have taken, but did not (e.g. maintaining the network suitably).

Status
Not open for further replies.