• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Delay repay on split tickets - maximum interchange time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanG

Hi all
As we all know, when claiming for delay repay on a split ticket the minimum connection time at any given station needs to be met.
However, is there a MAXIMUM time that one can allow for changing?

I travelled from Penzance on the sleeper last night and continues my journey mid morning to Birmingham, but that second train was delayed. There was a c. 4-5 hour gap between the sleeper arriving and my train north departing. Would that be an issue when claiming?

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Hi all
As we all know, when claiming for delay repay on a split ticket the minimum connection time at any given station needs to be met.

I travelled from Penzance on the sleeper last night and continues my journey mid morning to Birmingham, but that second train was delayed. There was a c. 4-5 hour gap between the sleeper arriving and my train north departing. Would that be an issue when claiming?

Thanks
I think you might find your claim rejected on the basis that it's unclear whether it's a single journey, unless you could produce an itinerary e.g. from a journey planner showing what you did. Also, if you would have been aware of the delay to the second train whilst at Birmingham, it may be suggested you should have taken an earlier service.

There's no harm in trying, that said.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Hi all

Thanks
I would be astonished if any train company saw that as one journey and paid out for it.

greatkingrat

Established Member
If it is two journeys than compensation should be due for the second London - Birmingham journey. Although how they would calculate what amount you are due is another question.

SeanG

Just an update on this.
The automatic system gave delay repay for just the London - Birmingham ticket.

However I appealed this and I have received the appropriate compensation for both the return portion of the London - Penzance return, and the London - Birmingham ticket. (IE it was seen as one whole journey)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Just an update on this.

However I appealed this and I have received the appropriate compensation for both the return portion of the London - Penzance return, and the London - Birmingham ticket. (IE it was seen as one whole journey)
I think this sort of thing could lead to a tightening of the rules; it's disingenuous to suggest that you should be compensated for Penzance to London when you clearly wanted to spend 5 hours in London, and you got to London on time and had the desired time there.

HSP 2

Just an update on this.

I would have been happy to have got the delay repay for the London - Birmingham.

How you got the delay repay for the London - Penzance return portion beets me. I do hope that you are going to donate it to a charity.

Status
Not open for further replies.