• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Delay Repay or Refund?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silver Cobra

Hi everyone.

Got an interesting little query based on a failed journey today. The journey which I was making was from Glasgow Queen Street to Oban on an Off-Peak Day Return (£29.30), using the following services for the outbound and return:

0821 Glasgow Queen Street - Oban 1127
1441 Oban - Glasgow Queen Street 1748

The 0821 service was delayed as a result of a signal failure between Cardross and Craigendoran. The service was delayed by around 80 minutes, which led to the Oban portion of the service being terminated at Crianlarich, with replacement buses running from there to Oban.

After seeing the notice on JourneyCheck about the Oban portion being terminated at Crianlarich, I decided to abandon my journey at Helensburgh Upper, and then caught the 1116 service from there back to Queen Street (which in itself was 38 minutes late due to the knock-on effect of the signal failure). The reason for my decision to abandon my journey was, by the time I would have got to Oban on the replacement bus service, I wouldn't have had very much time in Oban before having to leave again, if I wanted to be back in Glasgow at my originally planned time (the next service back wouldn't be until 1811, only getting back into Queen Street at 2122).

So here is my question: would I claim for this as delay repay or as a refund? Personally I lean towards a refund, but I want to be 100% certain of the correct approach. In the case of claiming a refund, as I purchased the ticket through GWR's website, would I pursue this with GWR or ScotRail?

Many thanks!

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
This is an abandoned journey and you should return your ticket/s to the original point of sale for a refund in line with the NRCoT.

gray1404

Established Member
I would do the above for a refund. You could also email Scotrail with a copy of the tickets and tell them what happened and see if they, at their discretion, issue you with some compensation.

Silver Cobra

Thanks for your replies. As I'm away from home currently, I'll send off the tickets and a cover letter explaining the situation to GWR when I get home on Friday.

You could also email Scotrail with a copy of the tickets and tell them what happened and see if they, at their discretion, issue you with some compensation.

While I'd be happy with just the refund for the tickets, I'll keep this in mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.