• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Delay repay query when a connection is involved

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnychips

Established Member
I got the 1926 TPE from Stalybridge yesterday, which was due to arrive in Leeds (which has a 10 min connection time) at 2009. I intended to take the 2020 NR train to Donny.

In fact, the TPE arrived at 2021 as it had to wait for a platform at Leeds; I missed the Donny train, took the next NR Donny train at 2120, which was also delayed as the driver had to take his break, and it arrived at 2227 instead of 2207.

I would have thought that as the TPE train was delayed by less than half an hour, then these things happen, but then I found

http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=72333

The ticket was an off-peak day return DON-Manchester Stations via Leeds.

Do you think I have a claim?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

causton

Established Member
As long as you leave the minimum connection time then I am sure you have a claim! For example, I submitted a claim to East Coast for a trip which was delayed by 20-25 minutes at Kings Cross, but the service I changed onto was missed and the next one was 30 minutes later :)

Established Member
Transpennine Express. Northern would only compensate you if you reached your final destination an hour or more late as a result of a delay to one of their services.

Last edited:

Welshman

Established Member
A little while back, I was on a TPE from Huddersfield into Manchester Piccadilly, which was delayed by 20 minutes, causing me to just miss my ATW connection to North Wales, so had to wait for the next, one hour later.

So I was an hour late getting home, and on my applying to TPE, they compensated me, even though their train was only 20 minutes late.

John @ home

Established Member
Transpennine Express. Northern would only compensate you if you reached your final destination an hour or more late as a result of a delay to one of their services.
That contradicts TPE's Passenger's Charter.
TPE's Passenger's Charter said:
March 2012

If you hold a ticket for a single or return journey, or a weekly Season Ticket (not Passenger Transport Executive products), and a delay to a First TransPennine Express service adds 30 minutes or longer to your journey, we will offer you National Rail travel vouchers for the full cost of the single leg of your journey that was delayed, i.e. 100% compensation for single tickets and 50% for return tickets.

If you are delayed for more than one hour, we will offer you National Rail travel vouchers for the full cost of your entire journey. If you hold a weekly Season Ticket, we will calculate your compensation on the daily value of your ticket. Claims must be made within 28 days of the expiry date of your ticket.

The arrangements for compensation will not apply to certain delays that are outside our control such as severe weather, vandalism, fatalities and security alerts.

http://www.tpexpress.co.uk/media/95594/passcharter_march2012.pdf
But it seems to me that, in this instance, johnnychips did indeed reach the final destination more than an hour late as a result of a delay to one of TPE's services:

Booked arrival time of 2020 Doncaster - Leeds: 2107
Actual arrival time at Doncaster: 2227
Delay: 1 hour 20 minutes.
Whom do you think I should address the complaint/form to?
Send it to TPE, whose train was the first to be delayed.

richw

Veteran Member
I've previously succesfully claimed when a connection was missed, Think the minimum time was 5 mins for connection, I allowed 8 mins, The 1st train was 10 late. Missed connection and there wasnt another connection for 70 mins. Pay out was East Coast without any difficulty.

Established Member
I think you misunderstood what I was saying John@home, There was a full stop between TPE and Northern, not a comma. TPE was my answer to who the claim should be directed to.

Status
Not open for further replies.