• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Delay repay question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday I was on 1S53 from York to Edinburgh intending to make a connection for a Fife service to Burntisland at Waverley, but 1S53 was 27 minutes late which gave fewer than 2 minutes to make the connection which i ended up missing. Then the last burntisland bound service of the night was cancelled so i had to get another service to Inverkeithing where a replacement bus brought us to burntisland, over an hour later than expected if 1S53 had been on time.

However my tickets were from York - Edinburgh bought on trainpal and then an Edinburgh - Burntisland ticket bought on trainline. So my question is am i eligible for delay repay on the york-edinburgh ticket if it made me miss an onward connection despite it not being part of the itinerary?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

OscarH

Yes, since you left more than the minimum connection time (10 minutes) at Edinburgh you can claim delay repay using both tickets, just upload both tickets in the same picture/PDF, and if it asks for the ticket value then add the prices together. Delay repay is for an entire journey, so provided your journey is valid (ie you met the minimum connection times before the delay, which you clearly did in your case) then you can claim for the value of all your tickets (in a single claim)

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Essentially the question is did you still have a valid itinerary between York and Burntisland, having booked the York->Edinburgh and Edinburgh->Burntisland legs separately with different ticket retailers?

I concur with @OscarH and would suggest yes, provided that you allowed the sufficient minimum interchange time (10 minutes) at Edinburgh Waverley, and, if so, your Delay Repay claim for the entire journey should be with the TOC that caused you to be late arriving into Edinburgh, presumably Cross Country, calculating the amount of delay incurred as the expected arrival time at Burntisland (had the connection worked correctly) with the actual arrival time in Burntisland.

robbeech

Established Member
It sounds like a valid claim here. Claim against Crosscountry if they are the operator of the initial delayed service. There are a couple of caveats that must apply to make sure.

Firstly it doesn’t matter that your tickets were bought from two different retailers at two different times* but all tickets required for your journey must have been purchased (where facilities allowed) before the start of your journey**. Additionally the tickets should have been purchased before the delay was known about to yourself***.

Providing this criteria is met your claim should be accepted****

* Sadly some operators have been known to reject claims with some made up nonsense about all tickets needing to be made in the same transaction from the same retailer. This is typical railway drivel.

** For example if you had your first ticket and were at Berwick when you were suddenly delayed and chose to buy a ticket elsewhere where you knew you’d miss the connection this would not be a valid claim, though you’d likely get away with it which is partly why operators are clamping down on claims.

*** Buying a ticket at 1315 and catching the 1256 that arrives and departs at 1322 is an acceptable journey with the ticket but you would not have a valid claim.

****Unfortunately whilst the rules are incredibly clear, many operators (and Cross Country is one of them) try it on with passengers they’ve already let down with split ticket claims so you may find your claim incorrectly rejected initially. If this happens you’d be advised to appeal but do feel free to add to this thread or start a new one for help with this should it be required.

_toommm_

Established Member
It sounds like a valid claim here. Claim against Crosscountry if they are the operator of the initial delayed service. There are a couple of caveats that must apply to make sure.

Firstly it doesn’t matter that your tickets were bought from two different retailers at two different times* but all tickets required for your journey must have been purchased (where facilities allowed) before the start of your journey**. Additionally the tickets should have been purchased before the delay was known about to yourself***.

Providing this criteria is met your claim should be accepted****

* Sadly some operators have been known to reject claims with some made up nonsense about all tickets needing to be made in the same transaction from the same retailer. This is typical railway drivel.

** For example if you had your first ticket and were at Berwick when you were suddenly delayed and chose to buy a ticket elsewhere where you knew you’d miss the connection this would not be a valid claim, though you’d likely get away with it which is partly why operators are clamping down on claims.

*** Buying a ticket at 1315 and catching the 1256 that arrives and departs at 1322 is an acceptable journey with the ticket but you would not have a valid claim.

****Unfortunately whilst the rules are incredibly clear, many operators (and Cross Country is one of them) try it on with passengers they’ve already let down with split ticket claims so you may find your claim incorrectly rejected initially. If this happens you’d be advised to appeal but do feel free to add to this thread or start a new one for help with this should it be required.

I've found Crosscountry to be pretty good with split tickets, with Greater Anglia being the only TOC recently to be very arsey with delay repay on split tickets. A month or two ago, I did a journey I did from Exeter St. Davids to Ilkley - I had a total of seven or eight tickets, all bar one advances. The wait time for Customer Services to respond at the moment is ridiculously long, but they coughed up the full £40-ish quid straight away.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Yesterday I was on 1S53 from York to Edinburgh intending to make a connection for a Fife service to Burntisland at Waverley, but 1S53 was 27 minutes late which gave fewer than 2 minutes to make the connection which i ended up missing. Then the last burntisland bound service of the night was cancelled so i had to get another service to Inverkeithing where a replacement bus brought us to burntisland, over an hour later than expected if 1S53 had been on time.

However my tickets were from York - Edinburgh bought on trainpal and then an Edinburgh - Burntisland ticket bought on trainline. So my question is am i eligible for delay repay on the york-edinburgh ticket if it made me miss an onward connection despite it not being part of the itinerary?
Providing the tickets form a valid itinerary (which a 25 minute interchange certainly does) and providing all tickets were bought before the delay was known, then yes you are entitled to Delay Repay compensation

It may be a bit more effort to claim it than if you'd bought it as one journey from Trainsplit (which would be a simple case of uploading one PDF to the Delay Repay form) but it would be a perfectly valid claim.

Status
Not open for further replies.