• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Delay Repay South Eastern 27/2

NeilCr

This is theoretical really as for the amounts involved I won't bother

But out of interest...

On Tuesday I had an open return from Ramsgate to Canterbury West (with Senior Railcard) Bought on their website using 9.11 Ram to CanW - return 14.33 (my intended trains)

There was already disruption when I left but the 9.11 ran okay. When I checked the return the 14.33 was cancelled - next train was 15.12. My choice was to stop in the pub on the way to the station or go on the bus. Tempting though the pub was I hopped on the bus. With the upheaval on the line and the 15.12 being only four coaches I thought it might get messy

Bus got me home about an hour late (I get that's not really relevant)

I assume that even though I had an open ticket I could claim for the difference between the 14.33's timetabled arrival at Ram and the 15.12's actual?

It's more for if I have a similar instance for a dearer fare

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

island

Veteran Member
You cannot claim DelayRepay on a journey you did not make.

Your claim would be for a refund of the unused return leg of your ticket due to disruption, not for a delay.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor

Your claim would be for a refund of the unused return leg of your ticket due to disruption, not for a delay.
Arguably the journey was made though - just on alternative means of transport.

NeilCr

Thanks

Some of this does get confusing for those of us who aren’t up to speed on the subject

Is there any time limit on disruption? As I said I could easily have nipped in the pub and got the next train which was running (45 minutes later). It wouldn’t have been a chore! And it was an open ticket - if that’s the right phrase

I can completely see your point about Delay Repay

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
You can claim a refund for the return portion of the ticket, given it went completely unused.

If you booked through the forum's site, this should be very easy to do; let us know if you have any issues.

If you booked through another retailer, then hopefully they made it similarly easy!

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
How would this work if the person was a season ticket holder?
They would be entitled to a pro-rata refund, I'd have said. Most TOCs suggest this approach for days where they advise against travel, so I'd say it's reasonable to apply the same approach here.

NeilCr

You can claim a refund for the return portion of the ticket, given it went completely unused.

If you booked through the forum's site, this should be very easy to do; let us know if you have any issues.

If you booked through another retailer, then hopefully they made it similarly easy!

Thanks yorkie

Appreciated

I had second thoughts and decided to apply for a refund . A couple of quid is a couple of quid after all

I booked through SouthEastern and the process was straightforward

To complete the circle

Southeastern have authorised a full refund even though I only had issues on the return leg

Very grateful for the input, help and support from this forum

Last edited: