• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Delay Repay with voluntary break of journey

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
An interesting one - if someone travels from, say, Harrogate to London via York rather than via Leeds (both valid routes) on a flexible ticket due to disruption via the former, what (if any) Delay Repay is due if that person decides that, as they’re in York anyway it would be good to pop into the NRM for an hour or two?

Ethically I’d say that claiming based on the overall delay which would have occurred had they taken the first available connection onwards from York would be fairest, but would this be seen as fraudulent if they actually travelled on a later service?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CyrusWuff

Established Member
I suspect the default position is that both legs would be treated as separate journeys given you've left railway property between the two.

So you'd only be entitled to claim Delay Repay for the actual delay incurred (if any) on each leg.

Veteran Member
I suspect the default position is that both legs would be treated as separate journeys given you've left railway property between the two.

So you'd only be entitled to claim Delay Repay for the actual delay incurred (if any) on each leg.
Not sure about that, as the traveller has been delayed.

Obviously claiming DR based on a self-imposed break of journey (for a meal, to give another example) is morally wrong, but I would agree that a claim based on the first possible arrival is in order.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I would agree with others in that - whilst on paper you can only claim for the delay actually incurred, based on taking the first available train at each opportunity, in reality there will be nothing to prevent a claim. This is particularly the case with paper tickets, which of course explains why the rail industry is keen to promote e-tickets, as they allow a lot more data to be gathered about where tickets are used...