• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Delay train journey results in missed coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfie

Established Member
I am sure plenty of people will not be claiming delay repay for tonight‘s delay. Also as a company which has been hiding over 20 million from the taxpayer, I am sure paying a few hundred for taxi is coppers to them

Back on topic, my friend is speaking to staff. I am waiting to hear back from them
I can be critical of the railway but your expectations, particularly when your friend built virtually no margin into their journey timings, are frankly ridiculous.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Wolfie

Established Member
Make no mistake: it's taxpayers money you are proposing to be spent on this and as a taxpayer I'd object to the rail industry paying for a taxi for this.

The coach company would not do so if the situation was reversed.
Absolutely.

Wolfie

Established Member
Yes, he arrived in a taxi at 03:28 this morning. The staff at Victoria truly are heroes
Heroes? As a taxpayer l'd say mugs! No way in God's earth would l want one penny of my taxes going on this.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Yes, he arrived in a taxi at 03:28 this morning.
Well done. Wouldn't have fancied a six hour plus overnight wait in Central London for the morning bus to Nottingham.

One option that wasn't considered last night was the OP's friend returning to Faversham and then trying again today. The unit arriving late into Victoria does seem to have formed the return service to Faversham, albeit operating just under an hour down, arriving 0206 (normally 0110).

skyhigh

Established Member
Heroes? As a taxpayer l'd say mugs! No way in God's earth would l want one penny of my taxes going on this.
Unfortunately I'd have to agree. I'm all for good customer service but if a passenger chooses to leave a narrow margin between a train and the last bus of the night (and they're going by bus to save money over the train!!) it seems mad to expect the railway to cough up for a 130-mile taxi journey - and then people wonder why train fares are expensive... If the situation was reversed and the last train had been missed because the M1 was shut, would Megabus have paid for a taxi?

My view would obviously be different if the train was several hours late and multiple buses had been missed, or it was meant to be a through train journey. But in the circumstances here I think the friend has been very lucky.

Wolfie

Established Member
Apologies, but how is a 40 minute gap apparently not enough contingency for a 5 minute walk?
Try looking at the gap that the railway demands for changes between Kings Cross and St Pancras or between national and international services at St Pancakes....

galwhv69

Try looking at the gap that the railway demands for changes between Kings Cross and St Pancras or between national and international services at St Pancakes....
Flipping heck, 31 minutes!
Some Minimum Connection Times are sensible but there are quite a lot that just take the piss

BrianW

Established Member
Flipping heck, 31 minutes!
Some Minimum Connection Times are sensible but there are quite a lot that just take the piss
Even before present 'arrangements' I recall many minutes spent in smoke- or Deltic- fume-- filled Copenhagen and/or Gasworks tunnel, and a hugely long subterranean 'expediton' to get to this or that tube line platform; and all with cases ...

Established Member
The good news is friend is now on the way back to Nottingham as we speak, I tried and succeeded. Every once in awhile the stars align. Today was one of those days. I can now sleep easy knowing they will get home safely in the small hours.

Quite a surprising result in the circumstances - albeit good to hear they got home safely. Do they know what the taxi fare was out of interest? Must be a good few hundred…

Status
Not open for further replies.