• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Delays at Wakefield Westgate tonight (12/10)

Status
Not open for further replies.

YorksLad12

Established Member
Evening all,

Am currently sat sitting on 1S51, which is at Fitzwilliam, behind a Northern service which has been stuck behind an Azuma which has been at Westgate for an hour. According to announcements, a fitter is on the way to attend it. Would it have been easier to drag the unit to Leeds? Is such a thing possible? Am hungry now

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D1537

The formerly broken 1D20 is on its way now, 102 late. Just one of those things, really; if it can be fixed (which it appears that is has been) it'd still be quicker to do that then arrange some method of dragging it out of the way.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Internal info simply says that smoke was spotted coming from the unit - unsure as to why.

Looks like subsequent XC services have gone via Pontefract Baghill instead and skipped Wakefield/Leeds.

YorksLad12

Established Member
Thanks both - now underway, just arrived at Westgate. Going to be closing on 2 hours down by the time we reach Leeds…

YorkRailFan

On Moderation
Internal info simply says that smoke was spotted coming from the unit - unsure as to why.

Looks like subsequent XC services have gone via Pontefract Baghill instead and skipped Wakefield/Leeds.
I assume that ticket acceptance is in place for XC with Northern and/or TPE for those trying to get to Leeds from York after their service was diverted via Pontefract Baghill?

Dr Hoo

Established Member
I assume that ticket acceptance is in place for XC with Northern and/or TPE for those trying to get to Leeds from York after their service was diverted via Pontefract Baghill?
Probably. I had a short cut to York via Pontefract Baghill recently after a points failure at South Kirkby and passengers for Leeds and Wakefield were accepted back on TP and Northern.

skyhigh

Established Member
Smoke coming from an engine. Overhead line switch off, fire brigade on site and required a Hitachi fitter to ensure the unit was safe to move.

It wouldn't have saved any time dragging it out the way as you'd still have needed to wait until the above was dealt with.

YorksLad12

Established Member
Having never travelled through Baghill, I slightly wish I'd got the later train (and I'd have got home earlier, even with the return from York). Mind you, it gets dark quite quickly after 6pm now, so I wouldn't have had a view to enjoy ;)

Peterthegreat

Established Member
Having never travelled through Baghill, I slightly wish I'd got the later train (and I'd have got home earlier, even with the return from York). Mind you, it gets dark quite quickly after 6pm now, so I wouldn't have had a view to enjoy ;)
Most XC trains went via Doncaster, not Pontefract.

YorkRailFan

On Moderation
Probably. I had a short cut to York via Pontefract Baghill recently after a points failure at South Kirkby and passengers for Leeds and Wakefield were accepted back on TP and Northern.
The other alternative is road transport, but with York-Leeds working, I doubt it.

Haywain

Veteran Member
It wouldn't have saved any time dragging it out the way as you'd still have needed to wait until the above was dealt with.
And would probably have taken even longer by the time something had been found to do the dragging!

19Gnasher69

In answer to ZCreaser’s enquiry on the closed associated thread, it was 800108 (from RTT) and the guard announced a problem with coach L (from the missus, who was on the train).

syorksdeano

Is maintenance getting cut down with DfT owned TOC's?

I only ask because with this incident, and Northern having issues with smoking trains and TPE having an issue with more trains than usual needing repairs (and also the small fire last week in Leeds which has turned out the same unit had the same issue a couple of days before) and now this one.

YorkRailFan

On Moderation
Is maintenance getting cut down with DfT owned TOC's?

I only ask because with this incident, and Northern having issues with smoking trains and TPE having an issue with more trains than usual needing repairs (and also the small fire last week in Leeds which has turned out the same unit had the same issue a couple of days before) and now this one.
Northern's issue is that they have a lot of older rolling stock which needs replacing in the coming years as they units are expensive to operate and maintain. Northern Has reportedly launched a consultation into looking into new rolling stock to replace their Sprinters among other units.

Status
Not open for further replies.