• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Dent Head Viaduct.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
A look at the topography suggests too many hills are in the way although it is surprisingly close in as the crow flies mileage terms - about 10 miles from the WCML:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=den...77484,14.040527&t=h&hq=dent+head+viaduct&z=11

The viaduct is just above where the "B" balloon on the map is. You'll need to press the button to clear the left hand panel to view Carnforth in the same window.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Is it possible to see Dent Head Viaduct from the WCM?
(Question from work colleague)

It's 15-ish miles as the raven flies to the WCML at Grayrigg, and I don't think there is any line of sight which would give you a view, because of intervening high ground around Sedbergh.
You get a momentary vista southeastwards from Low Gill but I don't think you can see Dent Head from there.
It is also set against the fell and would be very hard to pick out from more than a few miles.

In a similar vein I spent my last trip on the S&C wondering if you could see the WCML around Penrith (Langwathby is only 4.3 miles from Penrith, and there are other points where the lines are only 3 miles apart), but decided that the lie of the land is against it.
It would be interesting to know what the furthest distance is between points on the rail network where you can see an object like a moving train from the other.
I have spotted Lincoln Cathedral when passing West Burton Power Station on the train (14.5 direct miles, although 18 by rail).

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Just had a thought... there must be a point on the hills between Dent and Carnforth from which it is possible to see both the WCML and the S&C?

EltonRoad

Having climbed the hill that looks down onto Dent Head Viaduct and Blea Moor Tunnel (see pic), I'm certain that you can't see the WCML. In fact all you can see is the hill opposite you, and then if you look north, over to Dent and down the valley.

Just a thought - could your colleague perhaps have been referring to the disused Lowgill Viaduct that curves away from the WCML at the south end of the Lune Gorge?

Attachments

• PICJ003.jpg
    PICJ003.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 39

penrithsteve

As a regular user of the WCML through Cumbria you definately can't see Dent Head Viaduct - the Howgill Fells are in the way.

The Settle Carlisle line follows the Eden Valley and is seperated from the WCML by a ridge of hills. There's a point going over Shap where you can look east towards the Eden Valley. The chimneys of the gypsum works at Kirkby Thore are the most visible landmark, but seeing the Settle Carlisle line beyond would be quite a challenge.

Veteran Member
Dent Head is definitely out because it is so hemmed in by the hills.

It might just be possible to see Ribblehead viaduct from the Lune bridge at Lancaster, as the lie of the land is right, but it's quite a distance, and not at all likely.

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Just a thought - could your colleague perhaps have been referring to the disused Lowgill Viaduct that curves away from the WCML at the south end of the Lune Gorge?

That was my first thought. I've sent him a link & I'm awaiting a reply.

It is almost certain that Low Gill viaduct is the candidate. I spoke to my colleague today and this seems to be in the right place. It was his wife who spotted the viaduct ~ hence the geographical uncertainty. However she now wants a picture of it as a screensaver.

Many thanks for all the replies. Feel free to comment further or indeed on other viaducts in the area.

Cheers,

reb0118.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Isn't Low Gill the one that was in the title sequence of "The Train Now Departing" where they fade merged from a clip of a train steaming across a viaduct into the present day disused scene??

( showing my age here aren't I?! )

Status
Not open for further replies.