• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Derailed freight train - Cornwall

Status
Not open for further replies.

noddy1878

Established Member
Not seen it anywhere else and apologies if it's the wrong forum but 6G05 Fowey - Goonbarrow has derailed in Lostwithial. It's blocking the down line and single line running is in operation. I was caught up in it and my 0820 Ply - Pnz train is an hour and 30 late so far. Photos I took on phone are on my flickr.

Hope it works as I've uploaded everything on phone.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

noddy1878

Established Member
Home now. The last two wagons are the only ones still to be re-railed (as of about 1815). As far as I am aware the 66 would normally haul the train into the loop and then run round to head west to Goonbarrow.

Also apologies for the weird order the pictures went up. Not sure why they uploaded that way.

Last edited:

Established Member
Catch points would only have that effect if the 66 was propelling (unless I'm missing something). Are there any reversing movements possible there?
They run round trains in there...... would be interested to see a photo of the other end of the rake of wagons that derailed for some further clues :neutral:

westcoaster

Established Member
They run round trains in there...... would be interested to see a photo of the other end of the rake of wagons that derailed for some further clues :neutral:

Think naughty trucks from Thomas the tank engine. Thomas comes off trucks run away :oops:, obviously that's how the story book goes.

noddy1878

Established Member

I think they run round there. Because the loco needs to be on the other end to go west. When I went past this morning the loco was not (as seen by the picture on its own) attached to the train. I didn't get a photo of the other end of the rake.

richw

Veteran Member
By all accounts the loco was running round and the trucks rolled back whilst the loco was off running round.

At about 0930 all services up and down from Redruth were showing cancelled or delayed indefinitely with no estimated times for service.

It highlighted to me how expensive the bus is. Train £2.70 return, Bus was £7.50 return!

Temple Meads

Established Member
Train £2.70 return, Bus was £7.50 return!

Assuming that was First Bus you could have used a railway ticket on the following routes according to the info on NRE:

14/14A St Ives - Hayle - Camborne - Redruth - Truro.
17/17A/17B Penzance - St Erth - Lelant - Carbis Bay - St Ives.
18/18A/18B Penzance - St Erth - Hayle - Camborne - Redruth -Truro.
X18 Penzance - St Erth - Hayle - Truro.
27 Par - St Austell - Truro

richw

Veteran Member
Assuming that was First Bus you could have used a railway ticket on the following routes according to the info on NRE:

14/14A St Ives - Hayle - Camborne - Redruth - Truro.
17/17A/17B Penzance - St Erth - Lelant - Carbis Bay - St Ives.
18/18A/18B Penzance - St Erth - Hayle - Camborne - Redruth -Truro.
X18 Penzance - St Erth - Hayle - Truro.
27 Par - St Austell - Truro

This wasn't publicised or made clear. I took the 18.

455driver

Veteran Member
Catch points would only have that effect if the 66 was propelling (unless I'm missing something). Are there any reversing movements possible there?

Yes you are! :lol:

Loco uncouples to run round, train decides it doesnt want to wait and makes a break for freedom, runs over catch point (which isnt broken ;)) and 2 and a half wagons hit the dirt. derailed wagons foul of down line meaning single line working (using the up line) in operation effectively decimating the timetable.

Temple Meads

Established Member
Yes you are! :lol:

Loco uncouples to run round, train decides it doesnt want to wait and makes a break for freedom, runs over catch point (which isnt broken ;)) and 2 and a half wagons hit the dirt. derailed wagons foul of down line meaning single line working (using the up line) in operation effectively decimating the timetable.

Great summing up! You should be working for RAIB :P

Status
Not open for further replies.