• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Derbyshire and Peak District buses

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnychips

Established Member
The old High Peak/Trent thread has been closed so I'll start this one:

I was in Ashbourne today and at the 'Bus Station' there was a notice up, I think from Derbyshire CC, saying they had to make loads of cuts, possibly involving greatly reduced or even no subsidies to bus services. They would like comments.

This would mean, if all subsidised services were withdrawn, and no commercial services came in to take their place, the only service in Ashbourne would be the Swift from Derby to Uttoxeter Mon to Sat with no evening services.

Is this scaremongering or a genuine attempt to find out what subsidised services are under-utilised and could be cut. I took the 108 to Leek and there was an old lady and me on it, so perhaps it could be done judiciously.

(I do like the way some Taxico buses are now 'Aimees Travel', in this case spangles and decals on an old Dennis Dart). (And I put 'Bus Station' in inverted commas because the toilets have closed, so now it really is just a street with a big bus shelter - I had to go to 'The Wheel' round the corner and have a pint so I could use the facilities, which largely defeated the object).

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Wyvern

Established Member
About the latter. Aren't some shops/businesses being paid by councils to provide the service?

You might find the pub lavvy was subsidised and you didnt need to buy a pint. I dont know how these things are advertised.

AS for cuts I dont want to get into politics again and get myself under notice again.

Last edited:

Robertj21a

On Moderation
Somewhere like Ashbourne is always going to struggle to have any commercial services given the relative distance to anywhere else and, most probably, high use of concessionary passes.

Councils across the country are making similar cuts to their support for bus services and existing facilities are being steadily removed. I don't see any real improvement imminent.

brompton rail

The old High Peak/Trent thread has been closed so I'll start this one:

I was in Ashbourne today and at the 'Bus Station' there was a notice up, I think from Derbyshire CC, saying they had to make loads of cuts, possibly involving greatly reduced or even no subsidies to bus services. They would like comments.

This would mean, if all subsidised services were withdrawn, and no commercial services came in to take their place, the only service in Ashbourne would be the Swift from Derby to Uttoxeter Mon to Sat with no evening services.

Is this scaremongering or a genuine attempt to find out what subsidised services are under-utilised and could be cut. I took the 108 to Leek and there was an old lady and me on it, so perhaps it could be done judiciously.

(I do like the way some Taxico buses are now 'Aimees Travel', in this case spangles and decals on an old Dennis Dart). (And I put 'Bus Station' in inverted commas because the toilets have closed, so now it really is just a street with a big bus shelter - I had to go to 'The Wheel' round the corner and have a pint so I could use the facilities, which largely defeated the object).

Ashbourne Public Toilets are located in the Car Park at the rear of Waitrose. They are kept in good order and probably used more in that location because of the car traffic. They are a 3 minute walk away. Sainsbury could be worth investigating for toilets.

Bus services in Derbyshire are likely to reduce further as massive cuts in public spending are predicted, whoever wins the 2015 election. Not a very cheering prospect - best get your Peak District travelling done sooner rather than later.

Changes in January to TM Travel services in Matlock - to Bakewell, Sheffield etc. No timetables up yet on DCC website.

Last edited:

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
It won't be long until you see five journeys per week on a once every three hour frequency serving Ashbourne at the rate things are going.

It also makes you wonder if all evening serivces are to be scrapped.

Robertj21a

On Moderation
It won't be long until you see five journeys per week on a once every three hour frequency serving Ashbourne at the rate things are going.

It also makes you wonder if all evening serivces are to be scrapped.

Many parts of the country don't have any evening services already. Even if it does drop to 5 journeys a week, as it may well do, it's still better than those places that have lost all public transport.

No doubt the Swift will continue to provide the trunk route for locals to get out to Derby etc.

chessie

If any of you fancy a whistle stop tour of Hulleys Garage/Depot in Baslow, the 170 (Chesterfield - Bakewell route) is doing a u turn in there at mo due to the bridge over the road that forms the normal route being closed for roadworks.

Had a really good bus day out in the peaks today, its amazing what the sun does to people, which in turn springs this part of the world into life. Buses well loaded everywhere I went today

johnnychips

Established Member
Damn, I tossed up between the 170 and 177 in Bakewell and got the latter. It was a nice day for a bus ride, and the Hope Valley stopper was full too.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Will this mean the end of the 442 service from Buxton to Ashbourne that serves some tourist locations?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
The old High Peak/Trent thread has been closed so I'll start this one.

A very good idea on your part and a good title thread, as the TfGM thread and the Cheshire East thread both have been running on this forum for quite some time now, attracting regular postings that are made upon them

harry42

200 withdrawn at Edale...alternative arrangments for school children. SO now no public bus serving Edale (none at all in SH)

chessie

200 withdrawn at Edale...alternative arrangments for school children. SO now no public bus serving Edale (none at all in SH)

200 has always been schooldays only for as long as I can remember and is timed to work around local schools. I can only think its because of the train station Edale is so difficult to get to by bus.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Damn, I tossed up between the 170 and 177 in Bakewell and got the latter. It was a nice day for a bus ride, and the Hope Valley stopper was full too.

Cant fault you 177 is a proper nice route, if you caught the afto bus we were prob stood side by side in Bakewell lol

chessie

Bus services in Derbyshire survive another couple of years at least, under the circumstances this has got to be the best outcome possible. The below paragraph is from the Derbyshire Council website:-

"Update on proposed cuts to bus services

Bus services paid for by us; typically Sunday, early morning and evening and rural services are to continue. It had been proposed to cut supported bus services because we must make cuts of £157m by 2018. But following feedback from a residents' survey, funding of £3.5m is being put in from reserves to keep them running until 2017."

http://www.derbyshire.gov.uk/transport_roads/public_transport/news_notices/default.asp

Status
Not open for further replies.