• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Derbyshire Wayfarer validity

KT550

I'm aware that there is a higher priced Derbyshire Wayfarer starting in Nottingham.

I've only purchased from Derby before so I have a couple of questions which regular users may be able to answer.

Is the Nottingham add-on issued on a separate ticket (like the add-ons on the Birmingham PTE ticket).

Does this allow unlimited journeys from and to Nottingham or only ONE journey into the D.W. zone and ONE journey back to Nottingham, similar to London travel cards issued outside the zones?

Thanks for any info.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nottingham59

Established Member
I'm aware that there is a higher priced Derbyshire Wayfarer starting in Nottingham.

I've only purchased from Derby before so I have a couple of questions which regular users may be able to answer.

Is the Nottingham add-on issued on a separate ticket (like the add-ons on the Birmingham PTE ticket).

Does this allow unlimited journeys from and to Nottingham or only ONE journey into the D.W. zone and ONE journey back to Nottingham, similar to London travel cards issued outside the zones?

Thanks for any info.
This is what you get if you buy it at Nottingham Station. The standard CCST is stuck onto a laminated card that is specific for the Wayfarer. I believe it is only one out-of-area journey each way, but you'll have to check the conditions. HTH

Attachments

• 20240109_094217.jpg
    20240109_094217.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 242

Rover

"Does this allow unlimited journeys from and to Nottingham or only ONE journey into the D.W. zone and ONE journey back to Nottingham"
Previously it has been stated that one journey and return to the the DW zone is permitted however it now states "Nottingham and Beeston stations sell special Derbyshire Wayfarer tickets which also include rail travel from those stations to Long Eaton or Langley Mill".
The interpretation of which is open to interpretation but I wouldn't risk it myself.

Nottingham59

Established Member
National Rail website says
"Nottingham and Beeston stations sell special Derbyshire Wayfarer tickets which also include rail travel from those stations to Long Eaton or Langley Mill." No mention of only one journey each way, so my guess is it's valid for multiple trips. It is a day ranger, after all.

sheff1

Established Member
National Rail website says
"Nottingham and Beeston stations sell special Derbyshire Wayfarer tickets which also include rail travel from those stations to Long Eaton or Langley Mill." No mention of only one journey each way, so my guess is it's valid for multiple trips. It is a day ranger, after all.
That wording makes no mention of a reverse journey from Long Eaton/Langley Mill to Nottingham/Beeston so taken at face value you would need another ticket to get home. I doubt that is the intention but, unfortunately, such things are common from National Rail (and others). There should be no need to "guess", the validity should be crystal clear.

Last edited:

DDB

Also in practice there is no way to tell how many times you have used from/to Nottingham.

By the way they no longer do the laminated card so it is just a standard orange ticket like any other.

ALEMASTER

It allows unlimited travel on the date shown (subject to the usual morning peak restriction on weekdays) across the whole area of validity. The difference between the normal Wayfarer and the Wayfarer+Nottingham is it adds the extra two bits of line to the area of validity - Langley Mill/Ilkeston to Nottingham and Long Eaton to Nottingham (Long Eaton and Ilkeston being the boundary on the normal ticket).

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
The difference between the normal Wayfarer and the Wayfarer+Nottingham is it adds the extra two bits of line to the area of validity - Langley Mill/Ilkeston to Nottingham and Long Eaton to Nottingham (Long Eaton and Ilkeston being the boundary on the normal ticket).
There is, of course, then an additional cost in the 'Derbyshire Wayfarer' of £5.70 (= £21.10 vs £15.40).

By comparison, a separate Anytime Day Return from Nottingham to Long Eaton is £5.80.

From Nottingham to Ilkeston, it's £6.70.

johnnychips

Established Member
Rather than start a new thread, I would just note that the concessionary fare is no longer applicable for just being 60 or over. It is now only granted if you produce a ENCTS (?) pass. This was, along with free prescriptions, one of the little compensations for aging, alas now gone for another four years for me. :D

nwales58

Urgh. Hadn't realised the generous discount was now ENCTS only so tough for the other 3 nations (we still have free prescriptions though, all ages not just 60+)

AY1975

Established Member
This is what you get if you buy it at Nottingham Station. The standard CCST is stuck onto a laminated card that is specific for the Wayfarer. I believe it is only one out-of-area journey each way, but you'll have to check the conditions. HTH
At least for the standard Derbyshire Wayfarer (as opposed to special ones issued for travel from Nottingham) those laminated cards seem to be being phased out now, probably partly because Derbyshire County Council no longer has a monthly draw to win a free Wayfarer if you fill in the survey on the back (I think they stopped doing that at the start of the Covid pandemic in 2020). At least when you buy one at Sheffield, for example, it is now just issued as a standard CCST on its own.

Not sure if they've kept those laminated cards just for Wayfarers issued at Nottingham so that guards and ticket examiners can tell at a glance that it's one with validity to/from Nottingham, though.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Urgh. Hadn't realised the generous discount was now ENCTS only so tough for the other 3 nations (we still have free prescriptions though, all ages not just 60+)
Not even available for those folk with a Senior Railcard?

LowLevel

Established Member
Laminated cards were more for the bus driving fraternity I think who at one point got quite funny about tickets not issued with one.

Guards can sell all varieties of Derbyshire Wayfarer on board anyway and you just don't get the wallet - they've always physically been able to, but for whatever reason the Council were less keen on it, presumably because the wallet wasn't then issued.

We've always been trained to accept the Nottingham add on as being an extension of the ranger, I don't think anyone would insist on it only being valid for one journey.

DDB

Several years ago I was at a meeting of the friends of the derwent railway group where they asked the EMR rep there for the wayfarers to be sold on board and the EMR rep there said no as the guards wouldn't have the special wallets.
This was a long time ago though and I'm glad they are selling them now.

I don't know how many surveys they were getting sent in because I reckon I've probably sent maybe 20 in and I won twice!

LowLevel

Established Member
Changed in the last week then. The Wayfarers purchased after showing a Senior Railcard always had SNR printed on them - presumbly that has changed as well.
That's always just meant "concession" for the Wayfarer, it is a limitation of the railway's ticketing software.

It does seem to be a recent change and the relevant National Rail page has been updated too.

unlevel42

The iKB says:
November 2023:
The Derbyshire Wayfarer is available for Adults, Children, people aged over 60 (Proof of ID required) and Derbyshire County Council Concessionary Pass holders.

February 2024:
The Derbyshire Wayfarer is available for Adults, Children, Derbyshire County Council Concessionary Pass holders and other English National Concessionary Travel
Scheme (ENCTS) pass.

Thus barring 60 to 65 year olds and all non English concessions..
Senior Railcard refused at Sheffield.

As has been daid elsewhere East Midlands Airport cut but still on maps.

Llandudno

Established Member
The iKB says:
November 2023:
The Derbyshire Wayfarer is available for Adults, Children, people aged over 60 (Proof of ID required) and Derbyshire County Council Concessionary Pass holders.

February 2024:
The Derbyshire Wayfarer is available for Adults, Children, Derbyshire County Council Concessionary Pass holders and other English National Concessionary Travel
Scheme (ENCTS) pass.

Thus barring 60 to 65 year olds and all non English concessions..
Senior Railcard refused at Sheffield.

As has been daid elsewhere East Midlands Airport cut but still on maps.
What do you mean by Senior Railcard refused at Sheffield?

unlevel42

A Senior Railcard has been accepted for years the purposes of proof of age (60)when buy £7.70 Concessionary Derbyshire Wayfarer.
Possession of an ENCTS is now required which means the the Wayfarer is no longer a 60+ ticket but a ENCTS.

Question. Can a Disabled ENCTS Card Holder now obtain a £7.70 Concessionary Derbyshire Wayfarer ticket? Where would I find the 'definitive' bit of paper to refer to when purchasing or to show rail staff?

CyrusWuff

Established Member
A Senior Railcard has been accepted for years the purposes of proof of age (60)when buy £7.70 Concessionary Derbyshire Wayfarer.
Possession of an ENCTS is now required which means the the Wayfarer is no longer a 60+ ticket but a ENCTS.

Question. Can a Disabled ENCTS Card Holder now obtain a £7.70 Concessionary Derbyshire Wayfarer ticket? Where would I find the 'definitive' bit of paper to refer to when purchasing or to show rail staff?
The relevant page on the Derbyshire County Council website (https://www.derbyshire.gov.uk/trans...rer/the-derbyshire-wayfarer-rover-ticket.aspx) calls it a Concessionary price rather than specifically a Senior one, which would certainly suggest it's available to purchase in conjunction with a Disabled ENCTS pass.

How accurate that is I can't say, however.

Rover

Paulette Walters, Technician, Concessionary Travel at Derbyshire County Council has told me and I quote:
"The terms for the Concessionary Ticket has changed and is now only for under 16s and holders of a English National Concessionary Travel Scheme Bus Pass".
Kev

mailbyrail

Derbyshire County Council has run out of money and is one step short of joining Birmingham, Nottingham and others in the financial mire.
Anything which costs council money is under review and is likely to be cut/abandoned if is not statutory or funded from elsewhere.
I don't know what the funding arrangements are from the county council, but if the ticket costs the county council budget money then it must be at risk for the 2024-5 year.

unlevel42

Paulette Walters, Technician, Concessionary Travel at Derbyshire County Council has told me and I quote:
"The terms for the Concessionary Ticket has changed and is now only for under 16s and holders of a English National Concessionary Travel Scheme Bus Pass".
Kev
Thanks.
That is good news for my son(30)who has a ENCTS card issued for his disability.

As in, a railcard discount is unavailable on a Derbyshire Wayfarer.
No, as in proof of age. As previously 60 was the age when the Concessionary fare could be applies and I use. If issued with a Senior Railcard you would be 60+. An ENCTS card could be any age although I always used it as proof whnt it was issued at 66.

Starmill

Veteran Member
No, as in proof of age. As previously 60 was the age when the Concessionary fare could be applies and I use. If issued with a Senior Railcard you would be 60+. An ENCTS card could be any age although I always used it as proof whnt it was issued at 66.
That was already spelled out really very clearly though, so it couldn't have been what Llandudno was asking about.