• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Device in 4 foot at Leeds station 1970's - Terminal platforms. Purpose?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken H

On Moderation
Hazy memories - apologies

In the terminal platforms at Leeds station in 1970's there was a device alongside the inner face of 1 running rail, about half a coach length long. It didn't seem to have any electrical stuff attached to it. It was close to the buffer stop
It was a long bar with mechanical bits underneath. It would foul the flangeway.
I dont know if it went down when a train went over it, or was pushed towards the other rail.
I assume it was supposed to slow the train down if necessary. But how.
I did wonder if it was to tell the signalling if a train was occupying that part of the platform. But the rail had the zig-zags of weld to ensure track circuits worked on the dirty rails, so thought not.

So what were these called, what was their purpose and how did they work?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Rescars

Could this be a fouling bar? Presumably this would be intended to detect occupation without the risk of sand preventing a track circuit from working.

Taunton

Established Member
My hunch is indeed a fouling bar, depressed by the flanges, a mechanical treadle-type track circuit to indicate to the signalbox there was a vehicle (or more) standing, thus if another train, or light locomotive, was admitted to the platform it would be warned appropriately and brought in using calling-on signals rather than mainstream ones. They were quite common. There had been a couple of accidents over time where a train was signalled in and the driver was using the less-precise vacuum brake to come to a stand by the buffers, only to find there were vehicles standing there, maybe placed there long beforehand and out of sight of the signalbox, and collide with them. I think there were also regulations that a train, or propelled vehicles, must always go up to the buffers/fouling bar, and not stop well short.

They were occasionally used out on the line as well.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Mr Ellis refers to this in his encyclopaedia as a “depression bar”. Used in bay platforms near buffers where track circuits could be unreliable.

Not to be confused with visually similar devices used in S&C known as fouling bars, which were there in connection with detection of trains during operation of the point locks.

randyrippley

Established Member
previously discussed here in this thread about sand drags

Ken H

On Moderation
previously discussed here in this thread about sand drags

thanks for the link

I am now unsure if this kit is still in general use or not????

Status
Not open for further replies.