• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

DfT Internet Browsing Habits

Status
Not open for further replies.

flymo

Established Member
Not sure where to put this thread so stuck it here, if needed please move elsewhere if appropriate.

Anyway saw this on Railway Eye recently and thought I'd just pass it on.The top 1000 websites viewed by DfT (central) staff for the first 5 months of this year.

http://assets.dft.gov.uk/foi/dft-f0007532/f0007532-table.pdf

(If you get an error message when trying to view, try downloading.)

Nice to see Cricket info, Argos & The Zerg (is this a gaming site?) being up so high :D

No mention of this fine forum however, unless I missed it. :cry:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I am surprised they don't visit this forum. They have in the past, and are aware of it. A member of this forum visited them a couple of years ago and they mentioned it! They got particularly concerned when several members of this forum co-ordinated FOI requests.

Darandio

Established Member
The Zerg (is this a gaming site?)

No mention of this fine forum however, unless I missed it. :cry

They are an evil alien race in the Starcraft franchise. Not that much unlike the DFT themselves.

Dennis

Established Member
How many people work at DfT? To view over 20 million websites in five months seems very high....hope they are not arsing about at taxpayers expense.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It's not 25 million sites. It measures hits, that could be a 1 pixel x 1 pixel image, or it could be a stylesheet or script file.

One visit to one page on a website could be 100 hits.

I bet no-one typed in 2 www.google-analytics.com in their browser or searched for it, either. It would simply be embedded in most of the other sites.

Also it's quite feasible that employees took their kids to work and let their kids play on games. I've seen that happen, notably during the recent teachers strike. That could explain why 'armorgames.com' is in there.

Also we don't know when any of this was accessed, the holiday sites could have been lunch breaks.

tony_mac

Established Member
and things like cricinfo automatically refresh every 30 seconds or so explaining a larg number of hits.

It actually looks quite reasonable to me and no worse than our office!

SS4

Established Member
If my experiences at the DWP are representative of DfT then the vast majority accessed the sites on their own time but a few accessed the site during work time (which wasn't allowed in the DWP - this included paid breaks but not lunch or before/after one flexed on/off)

The employees are welcome to visit whatever they like on their own time, it's not my business to pry

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Yes, my former employers allowed personal internet use during breaks. As we were on flexi it was quite permissible to clock out and start browsing. You could even clock back in again when you had finished Anyone looking at the internet records may be incensed at my boss lookin for holiday clothers online at 1510 - apart from the fact that she had clocked out at 1500 (it usually took ten minutes to get to the site you wanted, so slow was the conenction!).

All Line Rover

Established Member
At least East Coast comes before "Thetrainline", although I am quite surprised that "Thetrainline" is actually in there! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.