• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Did 313's ever work to Southampton during their early tenure on Southern?

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
I am going through some "old" digital photographs and found a 313 working 13.00 Brighton - Southampton on 13th May 2011. Can anyone give concrete evidence that this was so and I hadn't mistaken it for a Portsmouth Harbour service? The location and dot matrix display give no clues or "proof"

Thanks to the poster who answered my question. :)

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

prod_pep

Established Member
Yes, 313s were definitely used to Southampton although very rarely. The first time it happened was during engineering works on 16/04/11 and this also marked, I think, the only time the 313s ran to Southampton via Eastleigh. There was then the very occasional Brighton to Southampton run after that.

Mike99

I have a photo somewhere of a return working from Southampton to Brighton as the service with a 313 arrived into Fareham. I believe it was the first such instance. I looked before for my photo but I couldn't find it. It most certainly happened, I'm sure it was a Saturday, 14th May 2011 was a Saturday. Ah, Prod_pep post arrived as I was ťyping.16th April 2011 was a Saturday

DPQ

Somewhat off topic, but my favourite obscure 313 working was Ore to Hastings (platform 1 Bay) shuttle.

This ran weekday mornings as the first service from Victoria didn't have enough time to get to Ore.

Bikeman78

Established Member
Somewhat off topic, but my favourite obscure 313 working was Ore to Hastings (platform 1 Bay) shuttle.

This ran weekday mornings as the first service from Victoria didn't have enough time to get to Ore.
That 313 diagram was to free up a 377 to strengthen another train. At the time, trains from Victoria to Ore and Brighton to Ore interworked with each other. In order to keep the 313 on the Brighton route, it did a shuttle to Hastings and back whilst the train from Victoria turned around at Hastings and went back to Victoria.