• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Did Virgin XC operate trains to/from Manchester Airport (MIA)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

johnpeter3

In the early days of Virgin XC were there Manchester Airport to Glasgow / Edinburgh trains with 158s / Voyagers? I think this is what TPE took over when this route was handed to them following XC's Operation Princess failing, leading to a swap of operator on some routes to allow Voyagers to be concentrated on a smaller number of routes.

WatcherZero

Established Member
Yes, XC (Virgin at the time?) did briefly operate the Scotland services from Manchester airport as an interim operator.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
In the early days they used 158s from Scotland to the Airport (and Liverpool).

Once Operation Princess started the trains to the Airport ended. They only came back when TPE took over from Virgin on the Manchester-Scotland route.

SeanG

Established Member
I think that sending some WCML services to Manchester Airport would be a good idea, however don't know if this would be feasible with platform lengths, pathing etc

Silverlinky

I think that sending some WCML services to Manchester Airport would be a good idea, however don't know if this would be feasible with platform lengths, pathing etc

First North Western tried it a few years back, Euston to MIA with a 4 car 322 unit...didn't last very long.
EDIT....lasted 12 months, May 98-99.

Last edited:

SeanG

Established Member
If journey times were comparable with VT though...

Veteran Member

What traffic are you catering for?

Ash Bridge

Established Member
And add to those the Rochdale to London Euston via Manchester Victoria service, also 158 operated.

GatwickDepress

Established Member
Fascinating, thank you both. The late 90s seemed to be a time of companies with big dreams - Manchester to Euston on a 322 or even a 158 must have been challenging, seeing all those Mark III carriages that you could've taken instead fly past... <D

ag51ruk

When the Voyagers were first introduced (before the official start of Operation Princess) I remember an odd timetabled XC service that ran in the evening between Manchester Airport and Crewe. It was the first time I travelled on a Voyager, can't remember where the final destination was but I think it was only this one train a day south of the airport.

On NWT trains running to Euston, weren't the 175 units ordered for those services? (hence the 100 mph top speed and at-seat entertainment system provided on the 3 car units). By the time they arrived, First had the franchise and West Coast Route Modernisation had killed off the idea of those London trains

LowLevel

Established Member
150s are cleared into Euston. Just saying<D

That's happened in the past too - the Silverlink 321s were all withdrawn for safety checks and a skeleton service with 313s and 150s operated the New Street to Euston service - I believe it was in the early 2000s.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Fascinating, thank you both. The late 90s seemed to be a time of companies with big dreams - Manchester to Euston on a 322 or even a 158 must have been challenging, seeing all those Mark III carriages that you could've taken instead fly past... <D

It was considerably cheaper than VWC - £20 for a flexible return Manchester Airport, £25 from most other NWT stations (e.g. Bolton). We got a complimentary copy of the Telegraph in standard class!

Pathing was rather slow in the Manchester Airport services - extended stops at Tamworth (for pathing on the then two tracks north thereof), and routed via Northampton and the Slow Lines throughout to Euston.

PermitToTravel

Established Member
That's happened in the past too - the Silverlink 321s were all withdrawn for safety checks and a skeleton service with 313s and 150s operated the New Street to Euston service - I believe it was in the early 2000s.

That would have been fun!

I wonder if a 153 from the Marston Vale has ever made it to Euston in service

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
That would have been fun!

No but a 321 off the St Albans branch made it to (a) Clacton via the NLL (b) Euston - all arranged by yours truly, and all in passenger service.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
It was considerably cheaper than VWC - £20 for a flexible return Manchester Airport, £25 from most other NWT stations (e.g. Bolton). We got a complimentary copy of the Telegraph in standard class!

Pathing was rather slow in the Manchester Airport services - extended stops at Tamworth (for pathing on the then two tracks north thereof), and routed via Northampton and the Slow Lines throughout to Euston.

And hopelessly uneconomic - and FNW made huge efforts to withdraw them quickly as the rest of the operation melted down due to huge economic and practical reasons with the franchise. FNW originally had planned to run 4 trains a day Holyhead to Euston - and the 175's were planned for 125 mph capability. Another failed dream of an over ambitious franchise specification.

2 memories of this - (a) Route learning of FNW traincrew in a rust bucket de-icing /Sandite train which ran out of fuel at BY , and I got towed in by the depot 08 cos it blocked the slow lines. The crews begged their way home via Brum (b) a 322 failed at Euston and I lent them a 321 for 24 hours to get them home (towing the "dud".

Basically felt sorry for them being so far from home - and helped them in modest ways.

CHESHIRECAT

They used 309's on the MIA/EUS every now and again!
Also saw a 47 at MIA with the MIA/GLC once.....back in t'day!

Established Member
Sounds like an excuse to bring out the WCML 150 trump card.

I don't know the year off the top of my head, but these were booked workings on Saturdays for a while during WCML digging.

2036 New St - Euston 8 car 150 followed by 2136 New St 4 car, all Central sets off TS. Then worked late Saturday / early Sunday services before buses were deemed an easier option and these services withdrawn.

Included on occasion 'spirited' running via Weedon.

At the time it was just silliness, I expect today there would be a turnout!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
No but a 321 off the St Albans branch made it to (a) Clacton via the NLL (b) Euston - all arranged by yours truly, and all in passenger service.

Be interested in any details, Leighton Logs is looking at local BY 321 'highlights' now they have been usurped... I've plenty of pictures of Silverlink colours in Anglia when the sets were transferred to NXEA, plus the c2c hire. Got around a bit...

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Why anyone would run a service from Manchester Airport to London baffles me.

Manchester Airport is a convenient starting point for a train that served 'affluent' bits of East Cheshire (Alderley Edge etc) which couldn't start from Manchester Piccadilly or Stockport due to moderation of competition issues.

fowler9

Established Member
Manchester Airport is a convenient starting point for a train that served 'affluent' bits of East Cheshire (Alderley Edge etc) which couldn't start from Manchester Piccadilly or Stockport due to moderation of competition issues.

Yeah, fair point. If it makes enough money to justify the service then why not.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Wow that was actually a service. I wonder how well it was used from Rochdale, from rochdale was it an express into Manchester I wonder.
Im trying to find a picture but i am having no luck.:(
Thanks
Sam

Off memory, calling pattern was Rochdale, Manchester Victoria, Newton-le-Willows (I think, as opposed to Earlestown), Warrington Bank Quay, Tamworth, Watford Junction, Euston.

Whereas the Manchester Airport service only lasted until 1999, Rochdale survived until May 2000, IIRC.

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Off memory, calling pattern was Rochdale, Manchester Victoria, Newton-le-Willows (I think, as opposed to Earlestown), Warrington Bank Quay, Tamworth, Watford Junction, Euston.

Whereas the Manchester Airport service only lasted until 1999, Rochdale survived until May 2000, IIRC.

Thanks for that it is very interesting.
Sam

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Be interested in any details, Leighton Logs is looking at local BY 321 'highlights' now they have been usurped... I've plenty of pictures of Silverlink colours in Anglia when the sets were transferred to NXEA, plus the c2c hire. Got around a bit...[/QUOTE]

I ran a direct SAC - EUS 321 to commemorate the 140th anniversary of the branch - along with the Mayor , train crew in Victorian costume and a large party of schoolchildren.

The Clacton special was another school excursion (100th anniversary of Garden Fields School) - formed of the borrowed GE unit appropriately. Both worked throughout by Watford train crew. Points had to be clipped at Euston.

Another occasion was 8 car 321's to Wolves as football extras to help VWC out on a Saturday (BY crews piloted) - and BY 321's made it to Liverpool Lime Street on a "test run" (cough) -a and also New Street - Wolves- Stafford - Euston ECS (BY crews again) following a line blockage at Coventry. I nearly managed Euston - Rugby - Walsall via Stechford service - but more senior management disagreed with my "plans"..

DarloRich

Veteran Member
150s are cleared into Euston. Just saying<D

yeah! Direct Marston Vale - Euston services here we come - Cancel the 07:14 from Bletchley and extend the 07:03. It would free up some units for other uses

Capacity might be a problem south of Bletchley mind! ;)

Chug one would tear itself apart at such speed - she canae do it captain!!!!!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.