• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Diesel Thunder from Tehachapi Pass, California

Status
Not open for further replies.

ac6000cw

Established Member
My first 'highlights' video from a recent visit to California.

The content is all from the same day on Tehachapi Pass, chosen as much for the soundtrack as the pictures, so if you like your diesel locomotives big and noisy - enjoy :D

When I was filming the 'Bealville Siding' train (starts around 3:02) I could feel the diesel engine vibration through my feet!! So if the windows aren't rattling it's not loud enough... ;)

[youtube]?v=hVjog6nJITc[/youtube]

(or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVjog6nJITc )

A still from the east end of Woodford passing siding, looking west - the video thumbnail is from a few hundred yards further west, down the hill.

The west slope of Tehachapi Pass is about 20 miles of railway between Caliente and Tehachapi (the summit), climbing and twisting on a 2%+ gradient including a complete loop over itself at Walong (about half way up). It's shared by two railroad companies, Union Pacific (the track owner) and BNSF (the tenant via historical trackage rights and probably the majority user today), and the basic alignment of the line is still the same as it was when built in the 1870s - the trains have just got longer and heavier over the years...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.