• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Different Experiences at Different Vaccination Centres

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dai Corner

Established Member
My first and second jabs were at my GP surgery but my booster yesterday was at a city centre mass vaccination centre. I thought it might be of interest to compare the two.

An administrator at the GP surgery rang me and asked me if I could go in the next day and suggested a time. I'm sure I could have arranged a different day/time if necessary.

I arrived a minute or two early, used the hand sanitiser by the door, gave my name to receptionist who asked if I had had Covid symptoms or a positive test recently and asked me sit in the waiting area. A minute or two later the nurse called me in, asked if I'd had allergic reactions in the past etc, gave me the jab and indicatedvthe exit via the black door. In and out within five minutes.

Last week I received a letter giving me an appointment at the mass vaccination centre for yesterday, followed by a text message a couple of days ago. There was a call centre number to ring if I couldn't make it. On arrival I was greeted outside by two bored-looking women. Once inside my temperature was checked and sanitiser sprayed on my hands. Then I had to show the letter or text to a fourth person and confirm I had no symptoms before joining the first indoor queue.

Reaching the head of that queue the fifth person I encountered directed me to one of three people with laptops who checked I was on the list for that day and asked about symptoms, contact with anyone with Covid, positive tests etc again. Then I joined the second indoor queue and my turn to be vaccinated came about five minutes later. I was called forward by one of about ten people giving the jabs, my name was taken again, I was asked about allergic reactions and given my jab.

Finally, I was asked to wait fifteen minutes before leaving and the eighth person I encountered wiped down the chair as I left.

Judging by the rate people were entering and leaving the building I'd say the throughout was about 1 to 1.5 times that the GP surgery achieved.

I'd be interested to hear of others' experiences, especially those who've been to different types of venue.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

S&CLER

I was in Preston 6 months to the day after I had my 2nd jab and, as I still hadn't received my invitation letter, decided to take the opportunity of the walk-in centre in a marquee in front of the bus station (strictly speaking this was the reception area; the actual vaccinations were done inside the shopping centre across the road). I was processed quickly and had no trouble; the whole process took about 25 minutes including the wait after vaccination. There were 2 queues, one for Moderna and one for Pfizer, and different coloured plastic cards were handed out to identify the right queue to join. As it happened, the letter inviting me to book my booster jab arrived the day after I was in Preston. Out of curiosity I also went on line to find out where the other walk-in centres were and was amused to see that the "nearest" was in Lytham St Annes. There might be a problem making that short 3-mile journey from Southport.

_toommm_

Established Member
I had mine at Bradford Uni the day after I was offered it in June. I chose to go there as they had spaces the next day. The first jab was a case of going upstairs, checking in, having the jab, then waiting 15 minutes in the school hall whilst being watched.

The second jab took a lot longer though. I was warned about potential chest pains with the Pfizer vaccine. I was also forced to eat something as I struggle to eat breakfast. Of course I did eat it I wouldn’t dream of arguing about it, but I didn’t really want to. That one was about 50 minutes, the first being 25 minutes.

greyman42

Established Member
I had mine at Bradford Uni the day after I was offered it in June. I chose to go there as they had spaces the next day. The first jab was a case of going upstairs, checking in, having the jab, then waiting 15 minutes in the school hall whilst being watched.
You do not have to wait fifteen minutes. Just walk out if you don't want to.

The second jab took a lot longer though. I was warned about potential chest pains with the Pfizer vaccine. I was also forced to eat something as I struggle to eat breakfast. Of course I did eat it I wouldn’t dream of arguing about it, but I didn’t really want to. That one was about 50 minutes, the first being 25 minutes.
This is the first time i have heard about anyone being asked to eat some thing. Again, you could of just walked out.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I’ve had all 3 jabs now at a local GP surgery (not my normal one) that’s effectively become a small scale mass vaccination centre for six neighbouring practices. Called in by text/email and booked on line.

Similar routine took place each time to the OP’s second description, sanitiser outside, Q&A about recent history, ID and address checked, into room with nurse and give details again, get jab, way out including a 15 min wait afterwards in a large shelter set up in the car park. So a dedicated production line set up which took about 25 mins overall.

Last edited:

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
My first two were at the same surgery and it was a model of efficiency. Line up, outside, walk in, directed to treatment room, confirm my details and NHS records, look away, small talk, sharp scratch, cotton wool, into the waiting room for 15 minutes. There was absolutely no fuss or anything unusual to report at all, and I was very impressed.

adc82140

Established Member
My first two were at a large hospital vaccination centre. In and out in about 25 minutes. My booster is at a local pharmacy next week. I'll let you know how that goes.

Jim the Jim

I had quite different experiences at the same vaccination centre. First time, loads of people there, had to sit in a big room and wait. Second time, eight weeks later, far fewer people, basically just walked right up to the table.

jfollows

Established Member
My first and second were at my local GP, text message invitation and online booking process. Lots of people being processed and a large marquee outside for the 15 minute wait.

Today I had my booster. Nearby but not local chemist in Cheadle Hulme, tiny cupboard of a consulting room. I was early but seen early, seemed very much more routine now. I walked to the station for the train home immediately afterwards but would have waited a while before driving.

i guess I could have gone to a larger vaccination centre but this was further to go, Manchester at a guess. The choice I made suited me fine. My own GP again would have been more convenient, but I didn't mind the bit of exercise I had instead walking across Cheadle Hulme from the station.

Status
Not open for further replies.