• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Digital Railcard query

Status
Not open for further replies.

Par

I’ve just renewed our Two Together Railcard and having always held a physical card for a number of years, have decided this time to opt for the digital version to take advantage of the Trainline offer at £20.

I’ve seen negative comments on here about having to display in the app, with potential internet connection problems etc, but what is to stop me just taking a screenshot of the card and storing in my photos, obviating the need for a connection?

This [screenshot] looks absolutely identical to displaying the card in the app. Does the Aztec code constantly update or something that would allow a guard to instantly know I was displaying a screenshot and not “in app”?

I have added the Railcard to Mrs Par’s phone as a backup for battery issues.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I’ve just renewed our Two Together Railcard and having always held a physical card for a number of years, have decided this time to opt for the digital version to take advantage of the Trainline offer at £20.

I’ve seen negative comments on here about having to display in the app, with potential internet connection problems etc, but what is to stop me just taking a screenshot of the card and storing in my photos, obviating the need for a connection?

This [screenshot] looks absolutely identical to displaying the card in the app. Does the Aztec code constantly update or something that would allow a guard to instantly know I was displaying a screenshot and not “in app”?

I have added the Railcard to Mrs Par’s phone as a backup for battery issues.

Thanks in advance.
Screenshots are explicitly not valid for travel. The T&Cs state this - ie a digital railcard must be displayed "in-app".

I believe (though I've never had a digital version myself) that there are elements which a screenshot will not show - moving images or something of that nature, making screenshots obvious if looked for.

XAM2175

Established Member
I believe (though I've never had a digital version myself) that there are elements which a screenshot will not show - moving images or something of that nature, making screenshots obvious if looked for.
The Railcard app forces the screen brightness to maximum and includes a colour-shifting background to the Double Arrow logo. Additionally, the taking of screenshots is blocked by the app's security rules (at least on Android, anyway). You should also be aware that the digital version robs you of the last day of validity.

I don't, however, know if the behaviour is the same in the Trainline app.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Tapping the National Rail logo causes an animation to be displayed. Tapping a screenshot wouldn't. So it's pretty obvious if you're showing a screenshot.

Par

Yes, I notice the colour shifting now.

It’s only a theoretical scenario, we have the Railcard on the app on two different devices and with two different service providers, so I’m not envisaging any issues. Also there is the one-off chance you get for failure to present too.

It’s all a bit sub-optimal of course and the sooner the Railcard can be added to an Apple Wallet or Android equivalent the better.

Thanks for the replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.