• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Disused viaduct and a temporary railway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greetlander

I’m sure I once saw a tv program where they put down a temporary miniature railway on a disused main line viaduct - Somerset and Dorset maybe? Did I imagine this? Anyone………

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
I’m sure I once saw a tv program where they put down a temporary miniature railway on a disused main line viaduct - Somerset and Dorset maybe? Did I imagine this? Anyone………
Thought that was the 2018 TV programme (= "The Biggest Little Railway in the World") presented by former army officer Dick Strawbridge up in Scotland, when he supervised the laying of a temporary 'O' gauge railway on the 70+ miles from Corpach near Fort William to Inverness Castle (via the Great Glen / Fort Augustus).

Greetlander

Thought that was the 2018 TV programme (= "The Biggest Little Railway in the World") presented by former army officer Dick Strawbridge up in Scotland, when he supervised the laying of a temporary 'O' gauge railway on the 70+ miles from Corpach near Fort William to Inverness Castle (via the Great Glen / Fort Augustus).
Thanks - I’ll check it out

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I think that was OO gauge, but it does meet the description and I think it is the one the OP has in mind. I'm sure there was a viaduct involved.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I think that was OO gauge, but it does meet the description and I think it is the one the OP has in mind. I'm sure there was a viaduct involved.
Could be the James May programme running model trains along the Barnstaple-Ilfracombe trackbed?

James May's was along the 'Tarka Trail' between Barnstaple and Bideford. No viaduct but a short tunnel. I think his childhood's 'Flying Scotsman' expired, and he had some trouble from the local ne'er do wells.

Greetlander

Thanks all - no it was a temporary narrow gauge steam installation and was there as part of some fete/gala? Im thinking Shepton Mallett? Sorry for being vague.

randyrippley

Established Member
More about Charlton Viaduct

It runs through what were the grounds of the Showerings (Babycham) headquarters. For a while there was a full size loco in the gardens - possibly a GWR pannier.

341o2

Established Member
James May's was along the 'Tarka Trail' between Barnstaple and Bideford. No viaduct but a short tunnel. I think his childhood's 'Flying Scotsman' expired, and he had some trouble from the local ne'er do wells.
The Flying Scotsman expired almost immediately, not even making it out of Branstaple station car park. The challenge was to create the world's longest model railway, but it only got as far as Instow before everything packed up

Status
Not open for further replies.