• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

[DK] Best way of getting to Aarhus

gpmartin

Hello all. In June I'll be travelling to Aarhus in Denmark (out 17/6, back 19/6). I've not been there before and so I would appreciate any advice on my best route. I think sleeper trains are not viable, given the lack of direct Cologne to Denmark sleepers at present, so I'd be flying and then taking train or (if I must!) coach.

Any thoughts on the best airports? Ideally I'd fly from Birmingham or Manchester, but London airports could also work. Aarhus itself and Billund appear to be recommended, but Billund looks like it is connected by quite a long, and not very regular, coach (unless there's a rail option?). Would Aalborg or even Copenhagen also be possible, with connections by train (or train and ferry)? Any suggestions very welcome. Thank you.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gloster

Established Member
Aalborg has the advantage of direct trains from the airport to Aarhus: twice an hour (one a change in Aalborg) and around 1h. 45m. Copenhagen also has direct trains, but is around 3h. 20m and once an hour.

Aarhus airport is a fair way from the city and isn’t very important, while Billund is miles from anywhere except Legoland.

Veteran Member
I've only ever done the trip by rail, but that is 2 days travelling from the North or Midlands, and you may not have the time (or wish to spend the money).
Aarhus is well served by rail from Copenhagen (direct) and Hamburg (simplest by changing at Kolding), both of which have rail-connected airports and direct flights.
Can't see anything to Aalborg.

CPH looks the better bet, and the trip over the Great Belt is interesting.

There is a half-hourly bus service from Billund Airport to Vejle - Route 43 operated by Sydtrafik. Vejle is on the Copenhagen - Aarhus main-line so you can take the train from there if you do not want to go all the way by coach to Aarhus. Billund is served by Ryanair and BA from Manchester.

sheff1

Established Member
Billund airport has a half hourly bus service to Vejle taking 30 mins. From there there are frequent trains to Aarhus.
Note that when I travelled last year the buses only accepted cash, not cards.

I took reasonably priced British Airways flights from/to Heathrow. Manchester was much more expensive.

Have used Aarhus airport pre-covid flying via CPH - as mentioned it is well out of town with the bus connection taking over an hour.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Aalborg is simple enough (and more interesting to a rail enthusiast) as it involves taking the train direct from the airport.

I've flown into Aarhus itself a couple of times and it's fine. The coach is timed to wait for the plane if it's delayed and you can buy a ticket on the Midttrafik app easily.

gazthomas

Established Member
I've done London to Aarhus, via Eurostar and DB to Hamburg, for an overnight stop before continuing on with DB/DSB the following morning.

gpmartin

Thank you all - this is very helpful indeed. Either a direct flight to Copenhagen and a long train ride or a change at Amsterdam for Aalborg then a shorter train journey looks promising.

I did London (well actually Tutbury and Hatton!) to Copenhagen via the sleeper from Cologne a long while back, but unfortunately with that discontinued, the extra time needed for an overnight stay in Hamburg rules out a rail-only journey.

Alfonso

If you like interesting planes as well as trains, worth noting BA flights from London City and Manchester are operated by 34 seat Dornier jets from Sun Air of Denmark

RailWonderer

Established Member
I took reasonably priced British Airways flights from/to Heathrow. Manchester was much more expensive.
I'd agree. I've checked the prices and am planning this too. Copenhagen - Aarhus is just 2h 47 on the fastest trains which leave CPH in the morning and return in the evening.

Gloster

Established Member
I'd agree. I've checked the prices and am planning this too. Copenhagen - Aarhus is just 2h 47 on the fastest trains which leave CPH in the morning and return in the evening.

Note that these times only apply to three trains a day and it is around another 25 minutes if you start from the airport, rather than the central station.

D6130

Established Member
When my wife and I visited friends in Aarhus in April 2018, we flew directly from Stansted to Aarhus airport with Ryanair. Of course it was an early morning departure so, coming by rail from Yorkshire, we had to stay overnight at the Stansted Airport Premier Inn....which cost considerably more than the flight itself!

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
If you like interesting planes as well as trains, worth noting BA flights from London City and Manchester are operated by 34 seat Dornier jets from Sun Air of Denmark
These very unusual flights (Sun Air are one of only three airlines around the world to operate Dornier 328 jets) are effectively all-business class, as you get a full meal with drinks even in "economy". The cash fares are usually very expensive, so an Avios redemption is brilliant value as you pay the same as a normal BA-operated flight - effectively £65 off-peak or £70 peak each way.