• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

[DK] DSB to retire Litra ME diesel locos 11 Dec 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

XAM2175

Established Member
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Dsb-am-nachmittag-des-26-1230820.jpgDanish operator DSB will be withdrawing the last members of its fleet of class ME diesel locomotives this coming 11th of December, prior to the introduction of the new timetable for 2022 on the 12th.

The thirty-seven units of the class were built by Henschel in West Germany between 1981 and 1985 and were some of the first series-production locomotives to use three-phase AC traction, expanding on the development done by Henschel for the prototype DE2500 and the small-series NSB Di 4.

The series saw extensive use in regional traffic to and from Copenhagen on Zealand, a role from which they were meant to displaced by the cascade of IC3 DMUs following the introduction of new IC4 DMUs, but delays to the IC4 program and also in the delivery of regional electrification kept the MEs in service longer than expected. Only with the delivery of new Siemens Vectron locomotives (referred to as class EB) in the last two years has it been possible to phase out old older traction - first the ME's electric siblings of class EA at the end of 2020, and now the MEs themselves.

This leaves DSB with a mainline locomotive fleet consisting only of electric Vectrons, and ends the 67-year-long use of EMD diesels by DSB (going back to class MY in 1954).

Class leader ME 1501 has already been preserved by the Danish Railway Museum since 2015, while a number of others have been sold to Nordic Re-finance AB for use in Norway. Perhaps ironically, it seems they will be outlived in service in Denmark by older DSB diesels of classes MY, MX, and MZ that have passed to cargo operators.

ME 1514 in passenger service at Valby station, October 2020.
(Photo by Kurt Rasmussen via Wikimedia Commons)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

On Moderation
Six have been sold to Nordic Re-finance and the other 26 still with DSB are planned to follow. Other than preserved 1501, four others (1502/07/10/12) have been scrapped.

Gloster

Established Member
More details can be found (in Danish) on Tommy Nilsson’s jernbanen.dk website under DSB lokomotiver>DSB motorlokomotiver . The older locos still in use are in the Privatbaner section under the individual lines: Vis kun aktive operatører will weed out all the defunct companies.

Richard Scott

Established Member
Six have been sold to Nordic Re-finance and the other 26 still with DSB are planned to follow. Other than preserved 1501, four others (1502/07/10/12) have been scrapped.
Was looking at a short article on these locos and seem that they're being quite extensively re-engineered including upgrading to reduce emissions, if I've got that right are they being re-engined?

On Moderation
Was looking at a short article on these locos and seem that they're being quite extensively re-engineered including upgrading to reduce emissions, if I've got that right are they being re-engined?
I can’t say I’ve seen anything to say they are being re-engined. ETCS fitment seems to be on the cards, though.

Gloster

Established Member
On svenska-lok.se (the Swedish sister of jernbanen.dk) all six of Nordic Re-Finance’s TMe are shown as having GM 16-645E3B EURO III motors, so I am presuming that these are the original motors upgraded. None of the various companies‘ websites are entirely clear.

Richard Scott

Established Member
On svenska-lok.se (the Swedish sister of jernbanen.dk) all six of Nordic Re-Finance’s TMe are shown as having GM 16-645E3B EURO III motors, so I am presuming that these are the original motors upgraded. None of the various companies‘ websites are entirely clear.
OK, I thought I'd seen that they were upgraded to EURO III, assumed they'd been re-engined but seemingly not.

XAM2175

Established Member
The description is a bit odd in that regard since the EU emissions standards for non-road-mobile engines are described as 'Stage I', 'Stage II', and so on. 'Euro III' is for road engines.

Gloster

Established Member
The description is a bit odd in that regard since the EU emissions standards for non-road-mobile engines are described as 'Stage I', 'Stage II', and so on. 'Euro III' is for road engines.
One source describes them as modified to US Tier 0+, calling it the equivalent of EURO III.

XAM2175

Established Member
Indications from DSB are that the last passenger workings will be on the 11th; RØ 2579 departing København H at 20:23 and arriving Holbæk at 21:23, then returning as RØ 2566 departing Holbæk at 21:37 and arriving at København H at 22:38, then terminating at Østerport.

There will also be at least one full run to Kalundborg and back; I don't have information on the outbound but the return will be RØ 1564 departing Kalundborg at 20:45, then departing Holbæk at 21:30, then terminating at København H at 22:12 - meaning that if things go to plan the last two services will for a brief moment be side-by-side at Holbæk.

JonasB

Danish train driver and youtuber Kenny Kariyawasam has made a goodbye video to the ME's. Subtitles in English are available for those of you that don't speak Danish.

ac6000cw

Established Member
One source describes them as modified to US Tier 0+, calling it the equivalent of EURO III.
It sounds like they may have had similar 'ECO' engine upgrades as some US locos, usually involving replacing the original mechanical fuel injection system with a modern electronic engine management/injection system.

XAM2175

Established Member
Danish train driver and youtuber Kenny Kariyawasam has made a goodbye video to the ME's. Subtitles in English are available for those of you that don't speak Danish.
Thanks for finding that.

XAM2175

Established Member
Then what are those routes be using after ME’s retirement?
They already use MF (IC3) and MG (IC4) DMUs, and will continue to do so. The MEs only worked normal regional trains on Zealand, so it's only Holbæk and Kalundborg that have seen changes to their rolling stock as a result of the MEs being retired.

ac6000cw

Established Member

Thanks for that - it's interesting how similar they sound to the (US) SD40-2 (but not surprising, as both are powered by V16 645 series turbocharged engines), including some of roaring noise on full power. I've never seen an ME 'in the metal', but have once seen and heard the NSB Di 4 equivalent at Trondheim (as well as a Euro 4000 on freight).

Richard Scott

Established Member
Thanks for that - it's interesting how similar they sound to the (US) SD40-2 (but not surprising, as both are powered by V16 645 series turbocharged engines), including some of roaring noise on full power. I've never seen an ME 'in the metal', but have once seen and heard the NSB Di 4 equivalent at Trondheim (as well as a Euro 4000 on freight).
Would say an NSB Di4 sounds the same as an ME1500 so having seen one of those gives you a good idea of the sound of the ME1500.

Gloster

Established Member
Would say an NSB Di4 sounds the same as an ME1500 so having seen one of those gives you a good idea of the sound of the ME1500.
There are many technical similarities between the Di.4 and ME, although it would be going a bit far to say the latter was a development of the former. However, the similarities means that DSB has done a lot of work on the Di.4 for NSB at Copenhagen

XAM2175

Established Member
It seems that DSB have hired two MEs back from Nordic Re-finance in order to have them handy for odd jobs. ME 1520 and ME 1521 have been observed today taking the Royal Train to Aarhus and are expected to return to København tonight with the Queen aboard. Nordic Re-finance will apparently be keeping a total of eight MEs ready for use in Denmark.

Separately, it's reported Hitachi have already started working on the pilot ERTMS installations for the NRF ME fleet. However the article states that the contract covers 27 locomotives, so that's either a mistake or an indication that five locos will remain configured for domestic use in Denmark only - which would, in fairness, be sensible if two of them will be with DSB at any given time anyway.

Yes, I've come across one which gives the equivalent of EU Stage IIIA, which is consistent with what I was expecting.

XAM2175

Established Member
There is some info in this Australian document (see page 18 and the EMD brochure at the end) about the changes to a 16-645 E3B in a class 81 loco to improve it to US Tier0+ and the testing results - https://www.epa.nsw.gov.au/~/media/EPA/Corporate Site/resources/air/diesel-locomotive-emissions-report.ashx
That's a splendid find! I had no idea that the Tier 0+ standard required such a large improvement in particulate emissions, and I'm even more surprised to see that the upgrade kit managed to reduce particulate emissions so much that they'd meet the Tier 2 rules, let alone Tier 1.

On the other hand, we'll just gloss over the fact that it doubled fuel consumption at idle :p

andersj

It seems that DSB have hired two MEs back from Nordic Re-finance in order to have them handy for odd jobs. ME 1520 and ME 1521 have been observed today taking the Royal Train to Aarhus and are expected to return to København tonight with the Queen aboard. Nordic Re-finance will apparently be keeping a total of eight MEs ready for use in Denmark.

The MEs will be delivered to Nordic Re-Finance in batches over the next 9 months, so the two ME's used were still owned by DSB.

Separately, it's reported Hitachi have already started working on the pilot ERTMS installations for the NRF ME fleet. However the article states that the contract covers 27 locomotives, so that's either a mistake or an indication that five locos will remain configured for domestic use in Denmark only - which would, in fairness, be sensible if two of them will be with DSB at any given time anyway.

The Hitachi press release mentions 27 too:

Status
Not open for further replies.