• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

DLR service changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

island

Veteran Member
From today, the DLR will move to most services operating with two coaches rather than three. There will be more frequent service on Stratford to Canary Wharf all day with additional through service to Lewisham during morning peak. Canning Town to Beckton shuttles will be introduced off-peak. There will also be other increases in frequency such as Bank to Lewisham having a 5 minute frequency in late evenings instead of 10.

This is said to be due to the Elizabeth line shifting demand.

more at https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/dlr/improving-the-dlr

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Taunton

Established Member
One hopes the Canning Town to Beckton shuttle is running to the main upper level platform at Canning Town, and not to the one out in the wilds on the Stratford International line. Because the principal use at Canning Town is interchange with the Jubilee Line, which is immediately below the main DLR platform, while to get over to the one on the International line is a notable route march, from the Jubilee involving heading the opposite way, one escalator, one set of substantial steps for which there is no escalator, and needing a good head for which way to walk. In actual fact, if the next existing train to or from Tower Gateway is within 5 minutes, you may as well wait for that one.

busestrains

On Moderation
From today, the DLR will move to most services operating with two coaches rather than three. There will be more frequent service on Stratford to Canary Wharf all day with additional through service to Lewisham during morning peak. Canning Town to Beckton shuttles will be introduced off-peak. There will also be other increases in frequency such as Bank to Lewisham having a 5 minute frequency in late evenings instead of 10.

This is said to be due to the Elizabeth line shifting demand.

more at https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/dlr/improving-the-dlr
To clarify do you mean reduced from four coaches to two coaches or six coaches to two coaches? Each unit is two coaches so surely there is no such thing as three coach trains? I used to see two coach trains when the DLR first opened but it has been a while since they have run these. I think it has all been mostly six coaches and some four coaches for many years.

BJames

Established Member
To clarify do you mean reduced from four coaches to two coaches or six coaches to two coaches? Each unit is two coaches so surely there is no such thing as three coach trains? I used to see two coach trains when the DLR first opened but it has been a while since they have run these. I think it has all been mostly six coaches and some four coaches for many years.
What you are saying is "six coaches" is considered to be "three coaches" on the DLR stock.

Taunton

Established Member
Went up and down to Custom House today. The Beckton line trains have indeed all been reduced from 3 units to two units. The shuttle to Canning Town seemed rather pointless because it was (according to the indicators) running one minute behind the Tower Gateway service. So the latter was doing all the work with two-thirds of the previous accommodation. Which all seems rather silly.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Each unit is two coaches so surely there is no such thing as three coach trains?

They're articulated, and are generally treated as one carriage. I presume it'll be going from three units to two.

I have to admit I raise an eyebrow at this after TfL spent so much money extending platforms to accommodate three unit trains.

Taunton

Established Member
My hunch (it's only that) is that it is driven by City Hall being relocated from Central London to by Royal Victoria on the Beckton line, and the best way to commute there is the Elizabeth Line to Custom House, then one stop back on the DLR, so doing this doubles the frequency on that short DLR trip and reduces waiting time for their staff. There were never capacity issues, before or after the Elizabeth opened, on any of the enhanced service sections. In fact the periodic peaks from Excel at Custom House have of course been much reduced by the Elizabeth Line there. More costly to operate, as more staff needed, but as there were no more trains things had to be cut from three to two units on the entire run to Tower Gateway.

Thirteen

If I was being cynical, I think TfL reducing the services from three cars to two cars at the moment with the current stock then when the new CAF stock comes in, they can claim they've increased capacity.

Last edited:

MCR247

Established Member
Or perhaps it’s to get people used to cars that remain to run alongside the new ones will only (or mostly) be double units

Taunton

Established Member
Seems a bit mixed today, first Saturday of the new arrangements. Beckton line is back to 3-unit trains at the old frequency with no local shuttles, while Woolwich line is down to 2-unit trains.

danielcanning

On Moderation
Seems a bit mixed today, first Saturday of the new arrangements. Beckton line is back to 3-unit trains at the old frequency with no local shuttles, while Woolwich line is down to 2-unit trains.
Probably due to the London Marathon registration at the Excel…

jon81uk

Wouldn't that be when a doubled service at Excel would be valuable?
They always tried to prioritise a full Beckton to Tower Gateway service on marathon days I think to help support spectators getting to Tower Bridge too, I don't think trains shuttling just to Canning Town would have helped much.

My hunch (it's only that) is that it is driven by City Hall being relocated from Central London to by Royal Victoria on the Beckton line, and the best way to commute there is the Elizabeth Line to Custom House, then one stop back on the DLR, so doing this doubles the frequency on that short DLR trip and reduces waiting time for their staff. There were never capacity issues, before or after the Elizabeth opened, on any of the enhanced service sections. In fact the periodic peaks from Excel at Custom House have of course been much reduced by the Elizabeth Line there. More costly to operate, as more staff needed, but as there were no more trains things had to be cut from three to two units on the entire run to Tower Gateway.

Its probably quicker to walk. Only five minutes or so from City Hall to Custom House, whereas by the time you've changed platforms and waited for the DLR you'd almost be there if walking.

Taunton

Established Member
Complete DLR failure, whole system, this afternoon/evening. I don't think I've ever known the entire network break down before.

I see the usual "tickets are accepted by any reasonable route". Apart from the fact that few passengers have "tickets" any more, a trip from Lewisham home to Canary Wharf was done via London Bridge; it will be interesting to see if the auto-correct feature of Oyster backs out the via Zone 1 fare which it is currently showing me.

Last edited:

TheManWho

Complete DLR failure, whole system, this afternoon/evening. I don't think I've ever known the entire network break down before.

I see the usual "tickets are accepted by any reasonable route". Apart from the fact that few passengers have "tickets" any more, a trip from Lewisham home to Canary Wharf was done via London Bridge; it will be interesting to see if the auto-correct feature of Oyster backs out the via Zone 1 fare which it is currently showing me.
Full suspension has happened from time to time- this one was due to a failure of radio communications equipment.

island

Veteran Member

Unlikely. TfL's general policy in disruptions is that you will be charged for whatever journey you actually travel. You can probably ring up and complain and they'll refund whatever pound or two the difference amounts to, if only to get you off the phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.