• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Doctor Who Series 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Butts

Veteran Member
What does everyone think of Peter Capaldi in the role ?

The second episode was a lot better than the first as it featured Daleks (but unfortunately not Davros :cry:)

I don't think the Daleks would have given up as easily as they did in eliminating the rogue member either. Normally their visuals are transmitted back to the mother ship so they would have known exactly what was occurring.

However it's only a story :p

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SpacePhoenix

Established Member

The second episode was a lot better than the first as it featured Daleks (but unfortunately not Davros :cry:)

I don't think the Daleks would have given up as easily as they did in eliminating the rogue member either. Normally their visuals are transmitted back to the mother ship so they would have known exactly what was occurring.

However it's only a story :p

I think Davros may be returning at some point during the season, one trailer I saw had his voice in a voiceover

martin2345uk

Established Member
I think Davros may be returning at some point during the season, one trailer I saw had his voice in a voiceover

Seen that discussed on other fora, general concensus is that voice was the rogue Dalek from this episode. It did definitely sound Davrossy but alas I do not believe he will be returning this series.

gswindale

Does every series really need to have the same ancient enemies?

How often did the Daleks actually appear in "classic" who?

I believe it to be less frequently than now.

Can the modern writers not think of anything original to use as monsters?

As for last night's episode; I felt it made a nice change from the usual Dalek "take over and destroy everything" plot line we normally see.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
How often did the Daleks actually appear in "classic" who?

I believe it to be less frequently than now.

I think you are right; in the old days each incarnation of The Doctor would fight the Daleks, but they made sure it was only once per incarnation.

Another thing - in the old days the stories were easier to understand and follow and instead of stand-alone episodes each story would be split over six weekly instalments of ½ hour each week.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
I think you are right; in the old days each incarnation of The Doctor would fight the Daleks, but they made sure it was only once per incarnation.

Another thing - in the old days the stories were easier to understand and follow and instead of stand-alone episodes each story would be split over six weekly instalments of ½ hour each week.

It was a little more than once for some incarnations but averaged out at about once every 4 years. I've discussed before on this thread that I think Daleks are overused in New Who - and they're not half as frightening as we always know that they're going to appear in an episode well before it starts (and if we don't it's usually mentioned in the programme announcement). I remember being very scared as you realised that Daleks or Cybermen were behind some fiendish plot - some Dalek stories had an entire half hour episode without them in at the beginning of a story.

Totally unsuited.

Well, thanks for that - that encourages discussion, doesn't it.

What don't you like?

I'm unsure at the moment. I like some of the suggestions he'll be a bit darker - but then I rather liked Sylvestor McCoy's incarnation. I like that he's visually older than the last couple - and they haven't glossed over the fact that he's been in the series before. However it'll take me a while to get used to him.

I'm not sure I like the clocks in the new opening sequence and it's certainly not my favourite arrangement of the theme tune.

I'm not quite sure I like Clara being dropped back home at the end of every episode (apart from anything else, how long are her days between each night of sleep?).

Last edited:

IanD

Established Member
What don't you like?

Basically everything about him. Never liked him nor anything I've seen him in in the past. Struggled through the first episode, haven't caught up with last night's but probably won't bother with any more.

Can't stand Jenna-Louise/Jenna Louise/Jenna Coleman either - classic single expression acting. Probably modelled herself on Tom Hanks.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
Well I thought last night's episode was an imaginative story. But - did anyone else notice the remarkable way that, after falling into the swamp-place, everyone managed to completely dry off and get their clothes and hair styles looking immaculate again, just by running through a tunnel?

Or the fact that the 'rogue' Dalek was returning to all the other Daleks covered in wires - which ought to give the other Daleks a bit of a clue that something is amiss with 'rusty'...

martin2345uk

Established Member
Well I thought last night's episode was an imaginative story. But - did anyone else notice the remarkable way that, after falling into the swamp-place, everyone managed to completely dry off and get their clothes and hair styles looking immaculate again, just by running through a tunnel?

Haha yes.. I put it down to magic daleky goodness.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I'm quite enjoying Peter Capaldi though I must admit the lack of thirty to forty swear words per minute coming out of his mouth did throw me a little at first :lol:

In terms of Daleks I did enjoy this story but I'd agree with a fair bit of the above in that they're being horribly overused currently. I'd have thought one appearance per season, at most, would have been more than enough. Personally I'd happily see them only cropping up every other season. The same goes for the Cybermen.

Or the fact that the 'rogue' Dalek was returning to all the other Daleks covered in wires - which ought to give the other Daleks a bit of a clue that something is amiss with 'rusty'...

'Well ya see I was damaged and captured by those pesky humans but I was able to eventually effect repairs, break free, exterminate a bunch of humans and now here I am. Only bad news is that they left me covered in flipping cables. Don't suppose you can help clean me up?'

Seems simple enough to me :lol:

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Apart from anything else, the plot was predictable.

Not long after it started, when they had just entered the Dalek, I remarked to my daughter: "Hang on a minute - they're helping it because it's a good Dalek, but surely if they fix a good Dalek it becomes a normal Dalek and exterminates everything in sight?"

Lo and behold, 15 minutes later, what happens...?! :D

Rhydgaled

Established Member
So far? Better than Matt Smith. Or maybe it was the scriptwritter, but I found alot of Smith's episodes disappointing. The start of Capaldi's first episode (a dinosaur! and it didn't do alot) didn't look prommising, although it improved once the dino had been destroyed and I quite liked the second episode.

I've discussed before on this thread that I think Daleks are overused in New Who - and they're not half as frightening as we always know that they're going to appear in an episode well before it starts (and if we don't it's usually mentioned in the programme announcement). I remember being very scared as you realised that Daleks or Cybermen were behind some fiendish plot - some Dalek stories had an entire half hour episode without them in at the beginning of a story.
Like the two-parter that concluded one of Tennant's series (his first if I remember correctly) then? Ghosts revealed to be Cybermen but the Daleks only appearing at the very end of the episode (and if I recall correctly the only indication the trailer had was somebody being exterminated, no sign of the Dalek doing the exterminating).

I like that he's visually older than the last couple - and they haven't glossed over the fact that he's been in the series before.
Has Capaldi appear in Doctor Who before, other than his regeneration from Smith and the breif glimse in the montage of all 13 doctors from the 50th aniversary episode?

I'm not sure I like the clocks in the new opening sequence and it's certainly not my favourite arrangement of the theme tune.

I'm not quite sure I like Clara being dropped back home at the end of every episode (apart from anything else, how long are her days between each night of sleep?).
I still miss the theme and titles from the 9th Doctor's series (or 10th doctor if you count the 'War Doctor'). Why do they have to keep changing it?

In terms of Daleks I did enjoy this story but I'd agree with a fair bit of the above in that they're being horribly overused currently. I'd have thought one appearance per season, at most, would have been more than enough. Personally I'd happily see them only cropping up every other season. The same goes for the Cybermen.
With a 13 episode series, in the 'different story each week' format, I would say Daleks should have an episode once every series (maybe two episodes in some series, but not if they appeared more than once in the previous one), but not the new odd-looking Daleks introduced with Matt Smith (thankfully they seem to be using the previous design more than the new one). For the Cybermen, every two or three series is probably about right (again, not the new Cybermen (which appeared in the episode where they adapt to being able to walk through electrified water in the castle moat)), if we are talking 13 episodes.

GatwickDepress

Established Member
Has Capaldi appear in Doctor Who before, other than his regeneration from Smith and the breif glimse in the montage of all 13 doctors from the 50th aniversary episode?
He played Caecilius in "The Fires of Pompeii" iirc. Did a pretty good job at it as well.

Rhydgaled

Established Member
they're helping it because it's a good Dalek, but surely if they fix a good Dalek it becomes a normal Dalek and exterminates everything in sight?"
I did think they should have done a bit more thinking as to why it was good before they went and healed it. A bit of a plot hole there, adding a line like "this radition could be what's causing the dalek to be good, but we haven't time to think it through or the radition will kill us" might have helped.

I kept thinking why don't they smash up the 'evil banks' to ensure the Dalek stays good? Or, better yet, put a remote det. charge on it so they are far away when it goes off, so the antibodies don't find anything to attack.

Feathers44

I thought the BBC had a 'No more than once per season' contract for the use of the Daleks, or maybe that's a 'At least once per season' contract? Either way, I believe the Terry Nation's estate has been quite specific about the amount of use they can/must have.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

He was in Torchwood for the 'Children of Earth' series. Admittedly not Doctor Who but most certainly still in the Doctor Who universe.

With a 13 episode series, in the 'different story each week' format, I would say Daleks should have an episode once every series (maybe two episodes in some series, but not if they appeared more than once in the previous one), but not the new odd-looking Daleks introduced with Matt Smith (thankfully they seem to be using the previous design more than the new one). For the Cybermen, every two or three series is probably about right (again, not the new Cybermen (which appeared in the episode where they adapt to being able to walk through electrified water in the castle moat)), if we are talking 13 episodes.

Sounds good to me :)

Butts

Veteran Member
Never mind the Daleks, Davros should appear at least once every series - not once a decade :cry:

Feathers44

Never mind the Daleks, Davros should appear at least once every series - not once a decade :cry:

Oh no. No, no, no!

The problem with keeping on bringing people back is that they get defeated so many times they just get belittled in the eyes of the viewer. Having the Daleks so often is bad enough but please, not Davros too.

Whistlekiller

Sorry Butts, Davros is at the dentist this season. Terrible cavities..........;)

Edit: The new Doctor is good and so is the sidekick. Anyone who thinks they can't act is deluding themselves and is quite rightly not being paid to do reviews anywhere that matters. :D

However, the revised theme music is terrible. The main hook is played on what sounds like an out-of-control MiniMoog with the vibrato wheel on maximum and a total disregard for the oscillators (I used to have one so I know what I'm talking about here). What exactly was wrong with the doom laden original version from the 60s and early 70s anyway? They sort of got it's dignity back with Eccleston and Tennant, then ballsed it up with Smith and then for poor old Capaldi they appear to have reformed Ultravox, given them all ten tabs of acid and let them loose in the studio without a get-out clause............:p

Poor form BBC.

Last edited:

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I'm afraid I'm not impressed with this series so far. I thought the second episode was predictable, ill thought out and rushed. Perhaps the premise was not suited to a single episode, the programme seemed to lack tension and be as emotionless as a dalek. It was all a badly conceived vehicle to have the Doctor called a dalek and question himself.

With regard to Peter Capaldi, I am with those who are unsure. I hope he will slow down a bit and become a little less Matt Smith like. I do think he is a fine actor, though, as is Jenna Coleman.

I have to agree about the theme music/Ultravox on acid comments from Whistlekiller. I dislike the graphics too. If I am honest I am worried about the direction the show is heading. It seems to be more about grand concepts and big ideas now and the art of creating a well constructed story which will engage the viewer on several levels appears to have been lost.

martin2345uk

Established Member
I'm afraid I'm not impressed with this series so far. I thought the second episode was predictable, ill thought out and rushed. Perhaps the premise was not suited to a single episode, the programme seemed to lack tension and be as emotionless as a dalek. It was all a badly conceived vehicle to have the Doctor called a dalek and question himself.

With regard to Peter Capaldi, I am with those who are unsure. I hope he will slow down a bit and become a little less Matt Smith like. I do think he is a fine actor, though, as is Jenna Coleman.

I have to agree about the theme music/Ultravox on acid comments from Whistlekiller. I dislike the graphics too. If I am honest I am worried about the direction the show is heading. It seems to be more about grand concepts and big ideas now and the art of creating a well constructed story which will engage the viewer on several levels appears to have been lost.

Can't argue too much with you there... except by pointing out that Daleks are not at all emotionless! ;)

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Can't argue too much with you there... except by pointing out that Daleks are not at all emotionless! ;)

Daleks were bred to not have certain emotions (pity, remorse, empathy) - this was what defined them as Daleks rather than simply mutant Kaleds.

martin2345uk

Established Member
Daleks were bred to not have certain emotions (pity, remorse, empathy) - this was what defined them as Daleks rather than simply mutant Kaleds.

Aye but they have a whole load of negative emotions, so still wouldn't call them emotionless!

Jordy

Established Member
I've moved recent posts into a new thread so we can leave the 50th anniversary one in peace!

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I quite liked this evenings episode, I would say the best this series.

bnm

Established Member
The new Doctor is good and so is the sidekick. Anyone who thinks they can't act is deluding themselves and is quite rightly not being paid to do reviews anywhere that matters. :D

However, the revised theme music is terrible. The main hook is played on what sounds like an out-of-control MiniMoog with the vibrato wheel on maximum and a total disregard for the oscillators (I used to have one so I know what I'm talking about here). What exactly was wrong with the doom laden original version from the 60s and early 70s anyway? They sort of got it's dignity back with Eccleston and Tennant, then ballsed it up with Smith and then for poor old Capaldi they appear to have reformed Ultravox, given them all ten tabs of acid and let them loose in the studio without a get-out clause............:p

Right. So someone negatively reviews, in their own opinion, the acting skills of the cast and that isn't okay? But you then negatively review the theme tune. Eh? What's good for the goose...

I like the new theme music. I'm liking Peter Capaldi but it's too early to be definitive of my opinion after just three episodes. I'm not won over by Jenna Coleman, but she's capable in the role.

Status
Not open for further replies.