• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Doctor Who Series 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

otomous

I'm all for free debate but I did wonder why Davros is cropping up on a railway forum. I suppose he would need to book assisted travel so there is a link. I'd certainly be amused to see him trundling up a ramp with the platform staff making no comment whatsoever.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tracked

Established Member
I'm all for free debate but I did wonder why Davros is cropping up on a railway forum. I suppose he would need to book assisted travel so there is a link. I'd certainly be amused to see him trundling up a ramp with the platform staff making no comment whatsoever.

have you not seen the new series? (or that one with Sylvestor McCoy from the 80's, for that matter), he can hover on to the train by the power of CGI now ;)

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
My good lady wife of some 72 years vintage watched last night's episode (Robin Hood) for the very first time out of curiosity and was unsure if she heard correctly that the Tardis was programmed to arrive in the year 1192AD, as King John was not the ruling monarch until 1199AD. She also asks if the young actress who was the assistant to Doctor Who was the same one that appeared in the "Emmerdale" series a number of years ago.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
My good lady wife of some 72 years vintage watched last night's episode (Robin Hood) for the very first time out of curiosity and was unsure if she heard correctly that the Tardis was programmed to arrive in the year 1192AD, as King John was not the ruling monarch until 1199AD.

That'll be why he was referred to as Prince John.

Butts

Veteran Member

Some of us would like to see him cropping up in the bloody programme :cry:

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I wasn't impressed with episode three either, I'm afraid. The dialogue between the Doctor and Robin Hood seemed to have been written for a younger actor - I could imagine the exchange of insults being handled well by Smith or Tennant, but it seemed a bit sad when delivered by an actor like Capaldi.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
I have passed this information on to my good lady wife, who thought that it was King John that was named.

I'm fairly sure it was Prince John, with Richard the Lionheart being referenced as being off on a crusade.

The Sheriff of Nottingham did refer to beating John with his spaceship and making himself King.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
Some of us would like to see him cropping up in the bloody programme :cry:

Maybe what you need isn't Dr Who itself, but for the BBC to create a new spin-off series - 'The Davros Adventures'? ;)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I wasn't impressed with episode three either, I'm afraid. The dialogue between the Doctor and Robin Hood seemed to have been written for a younger actor - I could imagine the exchange of insults being handled well by Smith or Tennant, but it seemed a bit sad when delivered by an actor like Capaldi.

I'm erring towards agreeing with you that this series is going downhill so far, though perhaps for slightly different reasons.

I thought the acting by both Capaldi and Coleman were very good, and some of the dialog - and the theme of the Doctor being convinced Robin Hood couldn't be real - was funny, which I did like.

But on the other hand, I'm starting to get a sense in this series of plot consistency/believability falling apart, which is starting to spoil things for me. Obvious bugbears in this episodes included the absurd stupidity of the guard who was guarding the Doctor and Robin (would anyone above the age of 5 seriously fall for their screaming trick?), the impossibility of firing the gold arrow accurately enough to hit the moving spaceship, and the idea that the spaceship could get power from an arrow that had merely hit its external wall (and mysteriously failed to bounce off).

Humour is great, but not when it comes at the expense of the plot :(

Last edited:

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Humour is subjective. I thought that the dialogue could have been funny, but Capaldi, being a more mature actor, couldn't carry the notion that the Doctor felt threatened by someone who was younger and better looking than himself in the right way.

Matt Smith would have come across as being put out that Clara's head had been turned by someone he didn't think existed, and David Tennant's Doctor, with that little underlying streak of narcissism, would have been much better placed to make the scenes work.

I think the real problem would have been that the writers, including Mr Moffat, probably had no idea how the character would be played during pre production. For me, those scenes fell a bit flat because of that. I can't really describe it any better, but one of things that I've thought is that Mr Capaldi has a more serious face!

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Obvious bugbears in this episodes included the absurd stupidity of the guard who was guarding the Doctor and Robin (would anyone above the age of 5 seriously fall for their screaming trick?), the impossibility of firing the gold arrow accurately enough to hit the moving spaceship, and the idea that the spaceship could get power from an arrow that had merely hit its external wall (and mysteriously failed to bounce off).

The second point I'd have to agree with but the power problems had slowed the spaceship down so it was pretty much hovering, thus presenting an easier target.

Humour is subjective. I thought that the dialogue could have been funny, but Capaldi, being a more mature actor, couldn't carry the notion that the Doctor felt threatened by someone who was younger and better looking than himself in the right way.

But isn't he only just getting used to not being "young" and good looking? Having looked young for most of the last 1100 years?

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
But isn't he only just getting used to not being "young" and good looking? Having looked young for most of the last 1100 years?

That's a fair point, but, to me anyway, it just isn't working out well! I just detect a bit of disparity between the writing and the characterisation. I hope it will settle down, but at the moment I don't find it enjoyable to watch. I do think he could be a great Doctor, but I sense he is working against the lines a bit. He said himself he is developing as he goes along.

I do think that the writers need to move away from the style of the Tennant and Smith eras, otherwise it will continue to disappoint me!

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I've got nothing at all against an older Doctor. I just don't really want to see him acting like he's 12. The Tennant and Smith versions could get away with it, Capaldi can't!

That's no reflection on him by the way, it just doesn't look or feel right to me!

Yew

Established Member
I've got nothing at all against an older Doctor. I just don't really want to see him acting like he's 12. The Tennant and Smith versions could get away with it, Capaldi can't!

That's no reflection on him by the way, it just doesn't look or feel right to me!

Indeed, a lot of lines feel like they where written for Tennant or Smith, and feel peculiar coming out of Capaldis mouth. I hope as it progresses, capaldi will find 'his' doctor a little more. Probably a character whom is more irritable and cantankerous.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Yes, I do hope so. I don't mind a touch of arrogance as well, but not too much.

GatwickDepress

Established Member
Watching the episode yesterday, I can't say I'm a massive fan of Clara, despite Jenna Coleman playing her extremely well.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I'm not a massive fan of the character, but I do like Jenna Coleman. The idea of the impossible girl was always a bit naff in my opinion, and the thought of her going back in to the Doctor's time stream to save his former selves was not something I enjoyed.

That said, it did provoke a warm glow to see her 'interacting' with William Hartnell and the others :D

Butts

Veteran Member
Is anyone else getting a bit sick of this school featuring every week ?

Can't we have some Ice Men , Silurians or preferably Davros to liven things up ?

I'm not sure yet whether it's Capaldi or the plots that are failing :cry:

Tonight's episode was the pits !!!

Last edited:

Puffing Devil

Established Member

Can't we have some Ice Men , Silurians or preferably Davros to liven things up ?

Agree - though it's not the school. I don't want philosophical debate - I want Daleks, Cybermen and as yet undiscovered terrors.

And I don't like Dr Capaldi.

Rhydgaled

Established Member

I think it was the plot that failed last night. Can't remember them right now, but there were some sillies like the gravity on the David Tennant 'Impossible Planet' two-parter. Also, I agree that taking Clara home in EVERY episode is a bit excessive. And are they going to get round to explaining how she and the doctor end up chained to some things (at the begining of last week's episode) or did they write that as a dramatic openning sequence and forgot to follow it up?

martin2345uk

Established Member
They're not going to revisit that, it was just a lighthearted start to an episode to show that they have other adventures that we don't see.

backontrack

Established Member
Is this Courtney character a new companion, or what?

But I am enjoying this series so far.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member

Now we're half way through the series, it seems to me that this season is taking a very different direction from previously: To a much greater extent than before, the episodes are primarily about the personal relationships between the Doctor and the various companions, with the fact that they are fighting various aliens becoming the secondary feature. Last night was a great example of that - it looked to me like the real story wasn't the strange things happening to the moon, it was the idea that the Doctor had to leave a decision up to humanity to make, so that humanity could progress.

Personally I really like the new emphasis. Obviously that's not going to be to everyone's tastes though.

I also like the way a lot of both humour and tension is being added by the idea that this Doctor doesn't understand the nuances of human personal relationships - and so keeps saying things in ways that he doesn't realize will upset people. And then he doesn't understand why people are upset.

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
Was that Clara's last appearance in the series (I think Jenna Coleman is leaving the series)? The info about the next episode on the freeview tv guide doesn't mention Jenna or her character Clara

Status
Not open for further replies.