• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Doctor Who Series 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
I didn't watch all of last nights episode (and from what I have seen of the series I'd been more than happy to see no more), but, how exactly does a creature that emerged from a moon sized egg instantly 'lay' a moon sized egg? What am I missing here?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Trainfan344

Established Member
The same way they knew it was safe to take off their helmets because there was Air there.

gswindale

Was that Clara's last appearance in the series (I think Jenna Coleman is leaving the series)? The info about the next episode on the freeview tv guide doesn't mention Jenna or her character Clara
I don't think it is her last episode - I seem to recall she is confirmed for the Christmas special.

It could just be one of the Doctor/Companion lite episodes we've had in the past (Blink, Midnight, Turn Left for examples).

Personally I don't like the dropping off at the end but I do prefer the Doctor's character having to relearn about humanity - shows more of his alien background.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
I didn't watch all of last nights episode (and from what I have seen of the series I'd been more than happy to see no more), but, how exactly does a creature that emerged from a moon sized egg instantly 'lay' a moon sized egg? What am I missing here?

Evidently it was a TARDIS creature - bigger on the inside than the outside :)

More seriously, if you wanted a semi-scientific explanation, perhaps the egg was small while inside the creature, but as soon as it was laid, it expanded (like a bubble - due to now being in a vacuum).

Another issue is: If my eyes weren't deceiving me (It was a very brief clip so I could be mistaken), the creature appeared to be moving by flapping her wings. Umm - in a vacuum?????

Last edited:

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Is anyone else getting a bit sick of this school featuring every week ?

Yes.

Can't we have some Ice Men , Silurians or preferably Davros to liven things up ?

Or anything really. In fairness, though, the beginning of the latest episode was more traditional Who, it just went off the rails with the philosophical babble and the Big Decision. Not very interesting for me, and it went on far too long considering episodes are only 44 minutes long.

And cut out all this rubbish with Clara's love life too!

I'm not sure yet whether it's Capaldi or the plots that are failing :cry:

Tonight's episode was the pits !!!

I'm starting to conclude that it's Capaldi and the plots. I think the latest show was better than the one last week, which I've already tried to erase form my mind. Now, that WAS the pits!

Agree - though it's not the school. I don't want philosophical debate - I want Daleks, Cybermen and as yet undiscovered terrors.

And I don't like Dr Capaldi.

Hmm, I think I agree now. I was trying to give him the benefit of the doubt earlier in the series. Now I'm starting to hate the character.

They're not going to revisit that, it was just a lighthearted start to an episode to show that they have other adventures that we don't see.

I'd prefer to go back to the days when the adventures flowed. I don't see anything positive about Clara having two 'lives'.

Now we're half way through the series, it seems to me that this season is taking a very different direction from previously: To a much greater extent than before, the episodes are primarily about the personal relationships between the Doctor and the various companions, with the fact that they are fighting various aliens becoming the secondary feature. Last night was a great example of that - it looked to me like the real story wasn't the strange things happening to the moon, it was the idea that the Doctor had to leave a decision up to humanity to make, so that humanity could progress.

Personally I really like the new emphasis. Obviously that's not going to be to everyone's tastes though.

I also like the way a lot of both humour and tension is being added by the idea that this Doctor doesn't understand the nuances of human personal relationships - and so keeps saying things in ways that he doesn't realize will upset people. And then he doesn't understand why people are upset.

I don't like either, to be honest. The idea that the doctor doesn't understand humans after as many regenerations as he has had, and the experiences he has had with humans seems a bit weird to me.

This series seems to have been infected by the Sherlock disease. In the latter case, I found that the last series tried to be too clever, and ended up shooting itself in the foot. Doctor Who seems to be going the same way, and I would like to see someone else taking over the creative reins.

D6975

Established Member
Oh dear, people asked to make a decision individually, yet the lights went out countries at a time.
Surely it wasn't beyond the CGI system's capability to do it right?

PS Matt Smith was a brilliant Doctor, his successor was always going to have a difficult job.

Last edited:

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
Oh dear, people asked to make a decision individually, yet the lights went out countries at a time.
Surely it wasn't beyond the CGI system's capability to do it right?

You wouldn't see individual people's lights from the moon - it'd be the overall effect of all the lights from large cities you'd see. And I would hazard a /guess/ that street lights and lights from cars etc. are likely to be more significant than lights from houses. That would suggest that lights visibly going out is more likely to be a result of decisions by local authorities or Governments - which perhaps makes country-by-country going dark more plausible. (Of course that would rather damage the idea that Clara was asking all the people to collectively make the decision!)

Trainfan344

Established Member
Prehaps the goverments were watching what the people did and then doing the same?

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
I would have thought, having never been to space, that most of the lights seen from space would be street lights or similar anyway, unless everyone has skylights these days.

EDIT: I should learn to read all new posts before commenting.....

Last edited:

Rhydgaled

Established Member
Heads up : My daughter informs me that tonight's episode involves the Orient Express.
An Orient Express. From the trailer at the end of last week's episode, it looks as if the Orient Express in Doctor Who travels through outer-space, not along rails.

PeterC

Established Member
The dialogue between the Doctor and Robin Hood seemed to have been written for a younger actor
It has always been a problem that a new doctor has been stuck with some scripts intended for his predecessor.

Tracked

Established Member
Heads up : My daughter informs me that tonight's episode involves the Orient Express.

it's not true, it's actually a Pacer in space, 142023 to be precise ... The Doctor has to sort out a problem with the folding doors allowing oxygen to escape, an unfortunate incident with the 3+2 seating, and a terrifying scene involving a visit to the toilet ... this is why tonight's episode has an 18 rating ...

sample dialogue:

1. "I've reversed the polarity of the ... oh, Sweet Jesus!!!!"
2. "We've moved, that's surprising"
3. "Tickets Please ... Wrong Question"

<D

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
It has always been a problem that a new doctor has been stuck with some scripts intended for his predecessor.

Your name being PeterC and you're talking about scripting matters... err.... surely not??? You aren't are you?!?!?

ECML180

Pretty sure the (20s?) Orient Express on tonight's episode had the OHLE warning stickers on the carriage ends...perhaps electrification is a lot more common in the future/past than we realise!

PeterC

Established Member
Your name being PeterC and you're talking about scripting matters... err.... surely not??? You aren't are you?!?!?
No he copied me :)

I believe that Capaldi is trying to play The Doctor more like the original but I am not entirely convinced although he is a great improvement on Matt Smith. The stories for both Capaldi and Smith haven't been a patch on the ones for Tennant or Eccleston.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I think the stories are weaker, though I quite enjoyed the latest episode. I have no objection to having a grumpier, more mysterious doctor, but I think that whatever Capaldi is trying to do, he is being undermined a little by the scripts.

Yew

Established Member
I think the stories are weaker, though I quite enjoyed the latest episode. I have no objection to having a grumpier, more mysterious doctor, but I think that whatever Capaldi is trying to do, he is being undermined a little by the scripts.

I think however, this last night episode felt like it was actually written for Capaldi, although I still think Tennant or Smith could have pulled it of well. Hopefully, once the current batch of stories has plaid through, we will be rid of Steven Moffat for a while, as I'm starting to find his style tedious..

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I think however, this last night episode felt like it was actually written for Capaldi, although I still think Tennant or Smith could have pulled it of well. Hopefully, once the current batch of stories has plaid through, we will be rid of Steven Moffat for a while, as I'm starting to find his style tedious..

Yes, I think you are right. On both counts!

Deerfold

Veteran Member
One annoyance last night - the engines stopped (no mention or sign of braking) and the train stopped dead. Whatever happened to conservation of momentum? That wouldn't happen on Earth, much less in space.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
One annoyance last night - the engines stopped (no mention or sign of braking) and the train stopped dead. Whatever happened to conservation of momentum? That wouldn't happen on Earth, much less in space.

There was a mention early in the episode of rails existing: The Doctor said the rails were (something) but I can't recall what the (something) was. So that opens the possibility of there being very efficient brakes that transfer the momentum to the rails.

Another problem, which seems harder to get round, is that if the train was travelling at spaceship kind of speeds, then the massive acceleration involved in a sudden stop would probably reduce all the humans in the train to jelly.

My main gripe about the script from a story-telling point of view was that quite a lot of action at the end disappeared - reduced to a quick explanation by the Doctor of how he had rescued all the people (God knows how when he was expecting it to be a couple of minutes to get the teleporter working - without air, they'd all be dead by then! Besides, doesn't the TARDIS have defences against teleporting into it?), and the computer then blew up the train. It felt a bit like the story was too long for 45 minutes, so instead of doing some sensible editing out of the less important bits, they just killed the main resolution of the story. That seems amateurish to me and left the whole episode with an unsatisfying feeling. It also seemed odd that the computer kept telling the Doctor to get off the phone and do some work, but it didn't occur to the Doctor to point out that the phone call was a crucial part of his work in figuring out what the 'mummy' was.

Then there was the way the Doctor defeated the mummy/soldier by telling it he surrendered and then it was relieved. Ummm, if you were a soldier, would you accept an order telling you you'd been relieved of duty from the 'enemy' who had just surrendered to you?

Other than all that, it was a reasonable story. :D

Last edited:

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Then there was the way the Doctor defeated the mummy/soldier by telling it he surrendered and then it was relieved. Ummm, if you were a soldier, would you accept an order telling you you'd been relieved of duty from the 'enemy' who had just surrendered to you?

My interpretation (others are available) is that his first comment was the trigger to the mummy/solider that it had won, victory was at hand and it's mission completed. The second comment wasn't an order but merely a kind word as the mummy/solider was about to 'die' in any case and he was just being nice to a fellow soldier. I.e. 'you're relieved' meaning in effect 'you can rest now it's okay'.

So the first comment is important the second is just a nice bow on top.

That's my interpretation anyway!

Butts

Veteran Member
This Orient Express is supposed to have been replicated in "painstaking detail" according to the Doctor...yet...

There are no ashtrays and no one is smoking :idea:

Jonny

Established Member
This Orient Express is supposed to have been replicated in "painstaking detail" according to the Doctor...yet...

There are no ashtrays and no one is smoking :idea:

It is set in the future, where smoking will be a thing of the past. Or, perhaps it never took off in the first place (in the whoniverse).

PeterC

Established Member
I loved the moment when he pulled out the cigar case containing jelly babies.

Status
Not open for further replies.