• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Doctor Who Series 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

GatwickDepress

Established Member
I watched the latest episode for about fifteen minutes, then switched the telly off and did the hoovering. Not the greatest reaction, I'd say...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Rhydgaled

Established Member
Did you not notice the MASSIVE GAPING PLOT HOOK at the end of the last related episode?

The ring was going to turn up sooner or later, and she appeared to be wearing it today.
I did notice the ring at the end of the one with the paradox machine, but that wasn't the last related episode, where the character disappeared (I can only guess as to where he/she disappeared to, but my guess was into the time-locked time-war).

Butts

Veteran Member
If "this woman" is "The Master" regenerated then it represents a complete travesty and insult to Delgado, Ainley and even Simm :(

The Master is Male as far as I am concerned and should always be so !!!

Regarding Danny Pink his expiry would greatly improve the show, along with the demise of the School he works at.

Good to see The Cybermen back :p

gswindale

If "this woman" is "The Master" regenerated then it represents a complete travesty and insult to Delgado, Ainley and even Simm :(

The Master is Male as far as I am concerned and should always be so !!!

Regarding Danny Pink his expiry would greatly improve the show, along with the demise of the School he works at.

Good to see The Cybermen back :p
Are you seriously suggesting that the school that has been part of the show since the very beginning should go?

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
The school itself should not go, but the constant stories focused on it are Not A Good Thing!

I also found myself yelling at the TV telling Pink to press delete at the end of the episode. Actually, I didn't, I just groaned to Mrs Greenback 'Just press the bloody thing'. I wasn't excited or immersed enough to get as emotional as yelling.

cf111

Established Member
I actually think that Michelle Gomez as the Master is a great bit of casting. She's really quite creepy and mad.

Still, who knows what she actually is? With this being Moffat there'll no doubt be another twist somewhere.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I'm sure there will be a twist. Maybe she's The Rani pretending to be the Master for some reason. Or maybe The Rani and The Master were one and the same, just at different points in their lives.

That's the joy of sci-fi, you can literally make anything happen!

Butts

Veteran Member
Are you seriously suggesting that the school that has been part of the show since the very beginning should go?

Yes, there has been far to much focus on it during this series.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I'm sure there will be a twist. Maybe she's The Rani pretending to be the Master for some reason. Or maybe The Rani and The Master were one and the same, just at different points in their lives.

That's the joy of sci-fi, you can literally make anything happen!

Ah The Rani - the ravishing late Kate O'Mara :p
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Not convinced we'll ever see her again..!

I do love the female Master, I think it's a great idea and Michelle Gomez played it to perfection in my eyes. "Doctor CHANGGGG!"

Next you'll be saying you want a female Doctor :cry:

martin2345uk

Established Member
Next you'll be saying you want a female Doctor :cry:

No, not especially - the Master is very much a secondary character, and so is open to the more experimental approach. Also I'm just relieved to be rid of Simm's incarnation! I think Missy, from what little we've seen, has more of the "Master of old" than Simm ever had. Can't wait to see how this one ends!

Butts

Veteran Member
No, not especially - the Master is very much a secondary character, and so is open to the more experimental approach. Also I'm just relieved to be rid of Simm's incarnation! I think Missy, from what little we've seen, has more of the "Master of old" than Simm ever had. Can't wait to see how this one ends!

Along with the Doctor and Davros he is in my view one of the keystones of the program :p

Jonny

Established Member
I actually think that Michelle Gomez as the Master is a great bit of casting. She's really quite creepy and mad.

Still, who knows what she actually is? With this being Moffat there'll no doubt be another twist somewhere.

Let's face it, psychopathic enough and even creepier than a male actor could manage ;)

ECML180

Well she (the actress, not the character) did have an appearance on Casualty, right after that episode on Saturday ;)

And Jeff from Casualty appeared on Doctor Who a few weeks ago...

*Shakes fist at Moffat and his unexplainable crossovers*

I may be underestimating him, but I don't think we're going to get a twist next week. I think the whole "oh yeah I'm the Master by the way" was all we're getting, so next week I predict:
  • Emotional Capaldi
  • Typical "sonic this button and they all dissapear" resolution
  • Master dissapears again - or does (s)he?
  • Heroics involving Clara

Although I am happy to be proved wrong! :D

(There has been some build up about more being revealed about Clara but I can't honestly see much coming of it - but I hope it does)

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
If you are right ECML180, particularly with the second point, then it's time for a new creative mind to be given a chance while Moffat moves on to new pastures.

ECML180

Yeah, don't get me wrong, I like the new series and I've nothing against the writing...but there seems to be a lot more 'anti-climax' or 'easy' endings. I like a good detective show where suddenly something begins to unravel and the whole story makes sense, compared to the trees a few weeks back where really the whole episode was for nothing!

D6975

Established Member
And Jeff from Casualty appeared on Doctor Who a few weeks ago...

*Shakes fist at Moffat and his unexplainable crossovers*

I may be underestimating him, but I don't think we're going to get a twist next week. I think the whole "oh yeah I'm the Master by the way" was all we're getting, so next week I predict:
  • Emotional Capaldi
  • Typical "sonic this button and they all dissapear" resolution
  • Master dissapears again - or does (s)he?
  • Heroics involving Clara

Although I am happy to be proved wrong! :D

(There has been some build up about more being revealed about Clara but I can't honestly see much coming of it - but I hope it does)

How about
Doctor and Master realise that now there's a male and a female Time Lord it's their duty to repopulate the universe.:D:D

ECML180

How about
Doctor and Master realise that now there's a male and a female Time Lord it's their duty to repopulate the universe.:D:D

Please it's a family show! :lol:

But to be fair...you'd think he'd try, all this moaning about 'last of his kind' and I bet he passes up the opportunity!

Tracked

Established Member
Please it's a family show! :lol:

But to be fair...you'd think he'd try, all this moaning about 'last of his kind' and I bet he passes up the opportunity!

but they're not human are they ... you know that funny handshake the freemasons do? yeah? Well, that's Timelord sex, that is ... <D

though to be fair, they'll cut the scene where they both light cigarettes afterwards

Butts

Veteran Member
The last episode was undoubtedly the best of the entire series - it could have featured more cyber-related violence however one can be grateful for small mercies.

Despite my misogynist tendencies I have to admit I actually now like the regeneration of The Master into female form, I'm sure she will be back. (unlike -hopefully Danny Pink or the school).

The Lethbridge Stewart touches were a nice addition as well.

However I would have scripted the elimination of The Cybermen differently. One person has far more knowledge of Cyber Technology than The Master....guess who.....:p

Yes of course, Davros, the acknowledged leading authority of any form of cybernetics in The Universe.

How about the irony of him leading a Dalek invasion force to save the Doctor and the Earth. As we are aware Dalek's consider the elimination of Cybermen as "pest control" :p

Rhydgaled

Established Member
The last episode was undoubtedly the best of the entire series
Really, I thought you would have prefered the episode with Daleks. Its a while ago now, but I think I prefered that one.

Despite my misogynist tendencies I have to admit I actually now like the regeneration of The Master into female form, I'm sure she will be back.
Well, the doctor didn't fire the laser thingy did he? It looked more like the master/mistress teleported, although maybe only into the nethersphere thingy.

Was rather disapointed that there wasn't a full explanation of how the master was still alive. There was even some mention of him/her having got hold of a TARDIS. How? That suggests it is more likely to have been the lightning-enthused incarnation who I guess got trapped in the time war with the rouge time lords that were trying to bring about the end of time. In turn that suggests he/she was freed when the doctor saved Galifrey in the aniversary episode, but in that case what happened to the dangourous rouge time lords?

I know Doctor Who is science fiction, but this last episode in particular seemed to be using a different fictious science to that used previously. Before, creating cybermen (in 'new who' at least, I haven't watched the old series) has almost always involved painfull slicing in some complicated machinary. The one during Matt Smith's era where an empty cyber-suit tried to capture a person was bad enough but last night's magic spores which could instantly convert corpses to full cybermen including magicly conjouring a load of metal armour. The idea that cybermen have worked out how to upgrade the dead was perhaps acceptable, but doing so without a source of metal or any machinary was not.

Also, the current generation of cybermen seemed to have had less done to them than previous. Some didn't even seem to still have a skull in the past, but 'Mr Pink' seemed to be largely intact inside the cyber-suit which makes the idea that the cyber-upgrade process is unreversable less-convincing than it was in the cybermen's first appearance in 'new who' (in David Tennant's first series).

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
The final episode was a cut above the dross that has field much of this season. Putting Jenna Coleman's name first with her eyes instead of Peter Capaldi's was an interesting touch int he title sequence!

I thought the first twenty minutes of the episode were excellent, a throw back to how good the series was and still can be. The next forty minutes were a bit weaker, at least until the end. It was nice to see the Brigadier in action, but part of me yearned for some special effects magic to see his face on more time underneath the cyber mask. That would have been a lovely tribute to Nicholas Courtney the actor as well as the character!

Status
Not open for further replies.