• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Does Italy have a 16-25 Railcard equivalent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
I am Italian (well half) and yet because I only go to Italy once or twice year, I don't tend to have the best knowledge on Italian train tickets (I'm far more of an expert on train types, companies and routes).

So my question is as follows. I'm currently 21, so does Italy have an equivalent of a 16-25 Railcard that I can be eligible for?

@D6130 might be of helpful assistance to answering this!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

superalbs

Established Member
You can get CartaFRECCIA Young, which is valid up until age 30, giving discounts on some tickets.

It's also free. See the last option here:
If you do not have a domicile address in ITALY you can apply for CartaFRECCIA by sending an e-mail to the mailbox address [email protected], enclosing the Programme Application Request for residents abroad form, duly completed and signed.

Within 45 days from the application request, applicants will receive their personal code, a password to access the dedicated online services and an immediately active CartaFRECCIA at the e-mail address provided. This must be printed and carried on any train journey operated by Trenitalia. Under no circumstances will the CartaFRECCIA card be despatched by post.

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
You can get CartaFRECCIA Young, which is valid up until age 30, giving discounts on some tickets.

It's also free.

That's awesome then! With this discount, will I be able to discount my regional train journeys within Lazio and Campania? Examples of these journeys include my village nearest station (Vairano-Caianello) to Naples or Rome.

Additionally, how much do I save compared to the full price?

hexagon789

Veteran Member
That's awesome then! With this discount, will I be able to discount my regional train journeys within Lazio and Campania? Examples of these journeys include my village nearest station (Vairano-Caianello) to Naples or Rome.

AFAIK, it's only on Frecce and InterCity services (including InterCity Notte), not Regionale. Discount varies but in the range of 40-70% on Frecce and 20% to 70% on InterCity. Note: it's off the full 'Base' price only.

superalbs

Established Member
AFAIK, it's only on Frecce and InterCity services (including InterCity Notte), not Regionale. Discount varies but in the range of 40-70% on Frecce and 20% to 70% on InterCity. Note: it's off the full 'Base' price only.
Yes, that's right. Sometimes it can be cheaper to just get a promotional 'full' fare ticket, such as Super Economy.

I did Rome-Venice in Business Class for £30 recently, which is nice.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Yes, that's right. Sometimes it can be cheaper to just get a promotional 'full' fare ticket, such as Super Economy.

I did Rome-Venice in Business Class for £30 recently, which is nice.
Definitely a case of needing to make sure the discount card is actually giving one a discount! ;)

Say what you like about GB rail tickets, but at least a railcard offers a clear discount on an Advance - you don't need to compare essentially an undiscounted Advance with a discount full-fare walk-up.

Edited for typo.

Last edited:

superalbs

Established Member
Definitely a case of needing to make sure the discount card is actually giving one a discount! ;)

Say what you like about GB rail tickets, but at least a railcard offers a clear discount on an Advance - you don't need to compare essentially an undiscovered Advance with a discount full-fare walk-up.
Yeah, you always have to check both the cheapest fixed fare category, and the more flexible discount category, as sometimes they're not the same!

Flying Snail

Established Member

On Regional trains only if the cost comes to €30 or more over 3 consecutive days or €50 over 5 consecutive days there is a rover type ticket that you should consider.

Status
Not open for further replies.