• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Does this Portsmouth > Wembley Stadium plan make (ticket legality) sense?

"Off Peak-Return" (valid only on Southern Services) "Portsmouth Harbour to Wembley Central"

Friday
14:04 Portsmouth Harbour >> 17:07 Wembley Central
OR
14:15 Portsmouth Harbour >> 17:01 Wembley Central
Walk to Wembley, watch Taylor Swift, scream etc.
Bus + Tube to North Acton accommodation

Saturday
Central Line to Shepherds Bush (pay for this manually)
Shepherds Bush >> Portsmouth Harbour (using return portion of ticket)

Soo the crux is that we can only use "Southern" services on that ticket, but I think Shepherds Bush is on the Southern line, so we should be good ticket wise?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gloster

Established Member
The 14.04 from Portsmouth Harbour, with a change at East Croydon, is fine as it is all Southern. (How you get from the Cat to the train at Portsmouth in two minutes is another problem.) The 14.15 is South Western Railway: it sends you up to Waterloo and then down the Bakerloo to Queens Park. I haven’t checked the return, but it would have to be via East Croydon.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
The two Friday options don’t seem right, because Southern only call at Wembley hourly, so your two possibilities can’t both be legit. Have you selected the right journey planner options?

You’ll be limited to SN trains southbound from Shepherds Bush as well.

The two Friday options don’t seem right, because Southern only call at Wembley hourly, so your two possibilities can’t both be legit. Have you selected the right journey planner options?

You’ll be limited to SN trains southbound from Shepherds Bush as well.
Thanks, yes, the train line presentation didn't make it obvious to my eyes how few of the trains it listed were covered by the ticket.

Gloster

Established Member
Thanks, yes, the train line presentation didn't make it obvious to my eyes how few of the trains it listed were covered by the ticket.

Work your journey out on the National Rail site first, using part journeys if need be. This tells you the operator amongst other things.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
As @swt_passenger points out, it's not just the hourly Southern train services that call at Shepherds Bush, there's also 4 x London Overground. A route "Southern Only" ticket wouldn't normally be valid on the latter trains.

Work your journey out on the National Rail site first, using part journeys if need be. This tells you the operator amongst other things.
And is there no way to buy a flexible ticket that just (and stop me if this sounds crazy) gets me from A to B using trains? If something crops up and I miss a connection we really can't afford to watch an hours worth of trains go buy until the next one by the correct operator. :)

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
And is there no way to buy a flexible ticket that just (and stop me if this sounds crazy) gets me from A to B using trains? If something crops up and I miss a connection we really can't afford to watch an hours worth of trains go buy until the next one by the correct operator.
Yes, but the extra flexibility costs more.

An Off Peak Return from Portsmouth to Wembley Central route "✠ Any Permitted" is £58.20. Allows you to make a cross London transfer each way using the tube.

With route "Not via London" it's £54.20. No tube transfer.

With route "Southern Only" it's £46.40. Similarly, no tube.

All prices before any applicable railcard discount.

Veteran Member
And is there no way to buy a flexible ticket that just (and stop me if this sounds crazy) gets me from A to B using trains?
I assume you are travelling on or after 7 June?

The 1404 is fine with the Southern Only ticket, and returning from Shepherd's Bush is fine so long as you use the hourly Southern service not Overground.

But there are alternative tickets that are valid on all operators, either:
Offpeak Return, either via London or (£4 less) not London, which would mean changing at Clapham Jn
(from there you could use Overground and change again at Willesden Jn if there's not a convenient through Southern train)

or for about £10 less a Super Offpeak Return, which again comes +/- London, but has travel restrictions on Saturdays which as far as I can make out would limit you to returning early afternoon.

Ahhhhhh... I've just spotted, on the rail enquiries website where it lists the tickets.... You can choose "Off Peak Return" (which I did), or, if you scroll further down, you can choose "Off Peak Return" (the exact same title) and this second tickets DOES NOT have the operator restriction... :)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
And is there no way to buy a flexible ticket that just (and stop me if this sounds crazy) gets me from A to B using trains?
The forum's site allows you to specify advanced options, such as avoiding walks, tube transfers etc.
If something crops up and I miss a connection we really can't afford to watch an hours worth of trains go buy until the next one by the correct operator. :)
If you select the itinerary you want, the forum's site will offer the appropriate fares.

If you want to specify an open return, the forum's site does not yet have this feature enabled but you can get it by using the generic trainsplit site (new version):

You new style site allows you to select from the full range of fares available.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240530-233749.png
    Screenshot_20240530-233749.png
    172.8 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot_20240530-233758.png
    Screenshot_20240530-233758.png
    309.7 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

Gloster

Established Member
I have always found Ryde Esplanade ticket office to be very helpful; the same staff work at Shanklin. Just explain carefully what you want.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I have always found Ryde Esplanade ticket office to be very helpful; the same staff work at Shanklin. Just explain carefully what you want.
If you say you want to travel avoiding London on the outward and have the option of any route on the return, a ticket office should sell a Not via London return with a change of route excess for the return portion.

In reality I would be surprised if this is what actually happens, for any given transaction.

paul1609

Established Member
If you are happy using Southern Trains only for the leg up to London each way. I'd buy a Super Off Peak Travelcard from Portsmouth Harbour Route Three Bridges for each day 2 x £31.80 = £63.60 then you can stay on the train from Pompey to Victoria and get the tube to Wembley it would also cover any other tube or bus to North Acton. Next day you can return to Victoria how you wish or Sheperds Bush ForClapham junction and get the Southern train back to Pompey.

Ok, thanks all of you. I went and had a quick chat at the local train station (ish) and they suggested:

"Off-Peak Return, Portsmouth Harbour to Wembley Central" that has NO restrictions on operator and DOES allow transfer via London for, any permitted route, for £38 (with a Network card).

So my final questions, (1) with that being an "Any permitted route" ticket can I safely go via ANY of the following?

Portsmouth > Woking > Clapham > Willesden > Wembley
Portsmouth > Waterloo > Queens Park > Wembley
Portsmouth > East Croydon > Wembley

(2) And are there any other obvious ways that I could go so that I have a good list of backup routes in case of issues?

miklcct

On Moderation
Your first route is valid as it is the shortest route.

Your second route is also valid as it is a mapped via London route.

The route via East Croydon is not specific enough. Do you want to travel to East Croydon via Horsham or via Hove? And from East Croydon, do you want to travel via Kensington Olympia or via London? These are not direct trains nor the shortest route, and not all combinations are available in the Routeing Guide.

Veteran Member
Ok, thanks all of you. I went and had a quick chat at the local train station (ish) and they suggested:

"Off-Peak Return, Portsmouth Harbour to Wembley Central" that has NO restrictions on operator and DOES allow transfer via London for, any permitted route, for £38 (with a Network card).

So my final questions, (1) with that being an "Any permitted route" ticket can I safely go via ANY of the following?

Portsmouth > Woking > Clapham > Willesden > Wembley
Portsmouth > Waterloo > Queens Park > Wembley
Portsmouth > East Croydon > Wembley

(2) And are there any other obvious ways that I could go so that I have a good list of backup routes in case of issues?
You can do all those.

If you use a journey planner and play around with "via" points you can find other routes - off-hand via Hove/Brighton, via Cobham, via Winchester, via Reading to Paddington, via Chertsey and Putney...
I am sure someone on here will read the routeing guide and come up with the full list, but some of them are a bit esoteric and I suspect that's enough for one trip!

I'm planning routes to get from Portsmouth to Wembley Central for Taylor Swift (yay).

The route planners all have me getting off at Queens Park for the final chunk to Wembley Central.

Why are they not saying to simply stay on the Bakerloo line to the Wembley Central Undeground station?

Is that an entirely different station than "Wembley Central" that needs a different ticket?

(ps. This the for the bit from Waterloo to Wembley Central)

Last edited:

John R

Established Member
The tube is geared up to shifting stadium goers using Wembley Park, so I would be inclined to use that to get to and from Central London. Book a ticket to London Terminals and then use contactless for the tube journey.

And that's a better option than trying to skirt around central london on overground trains? ie. via clapham > willesden

ps. This is Ryde to Wembley basically.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I'm planning routes to get from Portsmouth to Wembley Central for Taylor Swift (yay).

The route planners all have me getting off at Queens Park for the final chunk to Wembley Central.

Why are they not saying to simply stay on the Bakerloo line to the Wembley Central Undeground station?
It's not in the standard data, unless the retailer has their own custom data.
Is that an entirely different station than "Wembley Central" that needs a different ticket?
Nope; tickets are inter-available between Queens Park & Wembley Central; if you're on a direct train, stay on, but always get the first northbound train, either way.
And that's a better option than trying to skirt around central london on overground trains? ie. via clapham > willesden
Stay on to Waterloo.

I would either take the Bakerloo to Central, or if you want Wembley Park, take the Jubilee (cross-platform connection to the Met is available at Finchley Road, if you don't have a seat and want a faster train to Wembley) or head upstairs to the Met at Baker St (more chance of a seat, especially if you get a train that starts at Baker St).

As for which is best, it probably depends on which part of the stadium your seats are at, and if you are going to any restaurants etc before the event.

If you get a seat on the Bakerloo, I'd be tempted to stay on it to Central. I also like the heritage nature of it!

Statto

Established Member
Wembley Stadium is a bit of a hike from Wembley Central (at least 15 - 20 minute walk) using Wembley Park is the better option, & Wembley Park has more frequent trains on both the Met & Jubilee Lines (change at Baker Street for the Met or Jubilee Lines), were as Bakerloo Line trains are around every 10 minutes to Wembley Central.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Wembley Stadium is a bit of a hike from Wembley Central (at least 15 - 20 minute walk) ...
Depends where you are sat; if you are in a block at the south side there is very little in it. e.g. blue zone entrance A is 18 mins vs 16 mins (at Google Maps walking speed; allow more time if there are crowds, of course!)

But yes the frequency is better to Wembley Park, but if it was me I'd be taking the Bakerloo because I like the heritage nature of it ;)

hassaanhc

Established Member
Depends where you are sat; if you are in a block at the south side there is very little in it. e.g. blue zone entrance A is 18 mins vs 16 mins (at Google Maps walking speed; allow more time if there are crowds, of course!)
Id agree with this. On Sunday I was at Wembley Stadium for the Capital Summertime Ball, entering from Turnstile P in the Red zone, which is in the south-western corner of the stadium. As I was going back via Paddington, Wembley Central would have been by far the most sensible option (or I could even take buses from there to Greenford or Ealing and change for Southall, which was a similar overall journey time at 2200). However, I joined the crowds for Wembley Park, and I think I spent at least 20 minutes longer going that way, compared to Wembley Central. Shame there were no trains at Wembley Stadium that day (also the case this coming Sunday, thread on that elsewhere!), as that's the way I went last year and it was so much easier for my journey.