• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Does your life revolve around the railways?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Btw what I'm interested in now are railways of foreign countries, like Switzerland and Italy, Eastern europe, UK and Australia, especially when these are operated by electricity.

Wanna swap then? I am far more interested in the railways in Germany, Switzerland and Austria etc. than those of the UK.........

Metroland

Established Member
General point:

Surely nothing really intellectual and meaningful like taking copious amounts of substances all the time? :) It always amuses me that people that spend ALL their time doing the above claim they have a life. Some of the time is a different matter. Sure it can be enjoyable, but its not contributing to much either, like many interests.

Isn't it all about balance - most of us here will probably like a drink too? Isn't it all about the individual? I think most of us would like to do a lot of things but are contained by time, money, skills, opportunities, intelligence, physical appearance, who we know, where we live and so on.

As we all experience life (slightly differently), I think we should move away from value judgements based on whether X activity is more worthwhile than another, or X is better or worse. Especially as this is often used to bully others to feel inadequate, which is especially unfortunate, as it is often based on ignorance or the failure to appreciate society is made up and NEEDs to be made up of a diverse population. Civilisation would collapse if we all were interested in the same things and were good/bad at the same things.

Isn't the definition of a well rounded person the ability to appreciate the diversity of life, rather the to lament anything that doesn't fit into a narrow role call of value based judgement, set by some unknown entity - in the west unfortunately, often advertising budgets of corporations or endorsements of certain people rather than actual real culture? Have we really all turned into mindless consumers?

This country was build on: Invention, engineering excellence, economists, social ideas, financiers, artists and so on. To get good at any complex skill it is estimated that around 10,000 hours of effort needs to be put in - academics calculations not mine. So your life has to revolve, to an extent, around something, unless you get lucky, to make anything of yourself. Unless we all subscribe to the minimum effort, X factor five minute wonder celeb culture. Lets not knock people that have an interest, especially if it leads onto someone becoming a big contributor to society.

To me, this forum question was loaded. It almost attempts to suggest that if you spend more than 30 mins per day on one thing, your are deranged and to be avoided. Not quite the ticket. Personally I think balance is good too, but last time I looked it was a free country and people that often do make it to the top are obsessed by one thing or another. Would anyone knock premiership footballers or formula one racing car drivers or top musicians? Music certainly was at the heart of Paul McCartneys life, and football David Beckhams.

So where do these value based judgements come from, X and Y is bad, A and B is good? Is it really true that because someone is interested in X it is more valuable to society than Y in the big picture? Is a judgement that than X is boring because I don't enjoy it, really valid?

I actually don't like football, I find it intensely boring, but would have the audacity to go and push it in someone's face that because they like it they are inadequate. Its the same mindset that says, because someone is not like me, I don't like them and will mock them. We all know what that is the thin end of.

I actually don't like train spotting either, but who am I to say, that that aspect of the hobby is any less valid than another, say, travelling or modelling?

In conclusion, lets move beyond making value based judgements against harmless interests, because beauty is in the eye of the beholder. And lets stop being apologists for how we spend our time.

Status
Not open for further replies.