• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Don Coffey cab ride video discussion

Don Coffey

I’m sure it will still be a great video. Love your style Don, keep up the great work!
Thanks. I’ve been looking through the footage with Vinny (the Freightliner driver that filmed these runs) and we have got Toton to Walsall that goes via Burton so it goes round Sheep Stores Junction on the freight only line via Castle Donnington then Burton down to Water Orton. It’s all on my hard drive so safe for a future video so it’s just a matter of getting time to work on them.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Railwaysceptic

Established Member
Thanks. I’ve been looking through the footage with Vinny (the Freightliner driver that filmed these runs) and we have got Toton to Walsall that goes via Burton so it goes round Sheep Stores Junction on the freight only line via Castle Donnington then Burton down to Water Orton. It’s all on my hard drive so safe for a future video so it’s just a matter of getting time to work on them.
I very much look forward to watching that.

Pigeon

Me too. That line is on my "wanted but never really expected to get" list (for cab videos; done it for real) and is eagerly anticipated!

Railwaysceptic

Established Member
Next video is Birmingham (Landore Street) to Barrow Hill via Derby. It was filmed on another cracking day in February this year.
I watched this last night. I intended just to have a glance because usually the long videos look pretty bad when first uploaded. I was very pleasantly surprised to find that this time the picture quality was good immediately. So, many thanks. As someone else posted earlier, railway routes often look quite different when viewed from the opposite direction and I found this to be the case here.

I'll record the video later today.

Don Coffey

I watched this last night. I intended just to have a glance because usually the long videos look pretty bad when first uploaded. I was very pleasantly surprised to find that this time the picture quality was good immediately. So, many thanks. As someone else posted earlier, railway routes often look quite different when viewed from the opposite direction and I found this to be the case here.

YouTube seem to have got their act together with the rendering and they’re definitely streaming better than they did.
Another cracking video Mr. Coffey, but I think you need to employ a proofreader ;)
I used to beat myself up about typos or errors but after paying my BBC licence fee and watching the nonsense the so called professionals type in the News captions, I’ve stopped worrying and I don’t charge you £159 a year ;)

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I used to beat myself up about typos or errors but after paying my BBC licence fee and watching the nonsense the so called professionals type in the News captions, I’ve stopped worrying and I don’t charge you £159 a year ;)
There's whole websites dedicated to BBC News live serb turtle blunders, but alas further detail of that would be off topic on this thread!

Pigeon

I'm doing a catch up TRU Victoria to Hull next but I'll get this Burton route done after that all being well.

Super stuff!

On the Barrow Hill video and your captions about pathing etc, was Toton blocked or something at the time? We did quite a bit of wiggling between tracks and waiting for a route from Ratcliffe-on-Soar onwards, which all gave the impression of being a consequence of going via Derby causing there to be a lot of passenger workings to dodge. I was also a bit puzzled why we had to wait at Ratcliffe-on-Soar at all, since it's a full-on proper double track crossover and it's not obvious how the train crossing in front of us was in conflict.

Your scrolling caption comments about the cuttings at Belper and the choice of route rang a bell about it being a bit more complicated than that. I had a look around and found http://www.derwentvalleymills.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/DVMWHS-Newsletter-2014-low-res.pdf which I know isn't where I found out about it originally, but it does give the outline of the story complete with a map of the routes that were considered, and also has a lot more stuff about that section of route and its rather fine listed structures from the perspective of electrification. Bit superficial but still an interesting read.

On this note I have found that it is better to download cab rides in webm format rather than mp4, when it is available (which it is at least for anything recent, including Don's). When the mp4 encoder starts to find the images too complex to encode all the detail without too much loss and still stay within the bit rate limit it's been told to keep to, it tries to save bits by encoding less detail on the parts of the image that don't move very much - which of course on a cab ride means the "vanishing point", right where you're most looking, and also means that it's losing detail in a spot which will always become successively magnified in subsequent frames as the train moves forward. This repeated magnification of the low-detail spot comes out as a succession of rings of blurriness that expand out of the vanishing point and whiz towards you at a rate of about three a second, which is most annoying.

The vp9 encoder youtube uses for webm videos, on the other hand, does its emergency-bit-saving by choosing bits of the image where there is lots of random detail close to the limit of resolution to skimp on, presumably on the basis that you're not going to see those bits too well in any case so it doesn't matter too much. On cab rides this means you start to get blurred patches in the tangliest tangles of twigs in the trees at the lineside, which is still a nuisance but is much less annoying than the "Time Tunnel" effect of the expanding rings that mp4 produces.

vp9 is also a more efficient encoder, so the webm files are roughly half the size or a bit over compared to mp4, as an extra bonus.

Strat-tastic

Established Member
I'm sure some of the grammar pedants here would gladly help out :D

SteveyBee131

I'm sure some of the grammar pedants here would gladly help out :D
I find your videos most enjoyable and informative. Maybe there is a typo or 2 occasionally, but it certainly doesn't detract from the end result which is absolutely awesome! Keep up the great work :D

Don Coffey

Thanks all. @Pigeon this business of pathing seems to cause some controversy as there are clearly more direct routes. In order to keep competency on a route, drivers must go over them periodically so planners have to keep that in mind too. The route back is actually planned to take that as well as pathing into account. Every route and location has a headway which is the number of trains that can pass through given signal spacing and line speed. The computer spits out the preferred route given the density of trains planned through it but the operator can request variations to help keep competency.

When I was a driver manager, I’d occasionally be out assessing and a driver would get frustrated waiting on Platform 13 at Piccadilly for trains going in and out of the main station way past our allotted time. I later took a few up into the signalling centre where they could see the whole picture and from there you can see that unless they cleared the platforms, the deluge of trains moving several miles out would soon cause chaos and by getting held outside or blocking trains out of timetable order. What we couldn’t see in the video was what was going on around Trent Junction and although nothing much passed us at EM Airport, it could have been busy up there. Also, I edited a large proportion of the wait out but from memory, it was about 20 minutes. Putting us out on the Derby line might have blocked Derby South Junction - we just can’t tell. If you look at a map of where you can put quarter of a mile of freight train out of the way, that back platform starts to make a lot of sense.

To the rest of you regarding typos, thanks, much appreciated. I’m slightly dyslexic and more so when I type - there seems to be a complete disconnect between my brain and my fingers! Sometimes I’ll read something back that I’ve typed in disbelief - it’s utter nonsense and needs major correction so an odd typo is probably inevitable.

Pigeon

Thanks all. @Pigeon this business of pathing seems to cause some controversy as there are clearly more direct routes. In order to keep competency on a route, drivers must go over them periodically so planners have to keep that in mind too. The route back is actually planned to take that as well as pathing into account. Every route and location has a headway which is the number of trains that can pass through given signal spacing and line speed. The computer spits out the preferred route given the density of trains planned through it but the operator can request variations to help keep competency.

When I was a driver manager, I'd occasionally be out assessing and a driver would get frustrated waiting on Platform 13 at Piccadilly for trains going in and out of the main station way past our allotted time. I later took a few up into the signalling centre where they could see the whole picture and from there you can see that unless they cleared the platforms, the deluge of trains moving several miles out would soon cause chaos and by getting held outside or blocking trains out of timetable order. What we couldn't see in the video was what was going on around Trent Junction and although nothing much passed us at EM Airport, it could have been busy up there. Also, I edited a large proportion of the wait out but from memory, it was about 20 minutes. Putting us out on the Derby line might have blocked Derby South Junction - we just can't tell. If you look at a map of where you can put quarter of a mile of freight train out of the way, that back platform starts to make a lot of sense.

Thanks for that. Not seeking to cause any controversy, just interested in the hidden variables! It's a shame it's not possible to have a feed from the signalling centre in the corner of the screen so we could see how we're fitting in.

Don Coffey

I’ve made some progress with future events and I’ve now got my cab pass for the Hull to Kings Cross filming with Hull Trains. I’m also waiting for news on filming the Huddersfield to Sheffield via the Penistone Line. I’ve had several attempts at filming TRU but it changes so fast, each time it goes rapidly out of date but we’ll try again next week. The Toton to Walsall video will be premiered on Friday at 20:30 UK time. It follows a Class 70 and 29 loaded cement tanks over the freight lines via Castle Donnington and Sutton Park. Now the latter took me a little by surprise as I was expecting a largely industrial setting but I couldn’t be more wrong. There hasn’t been a scheduled passenger train since 1965 so I’ll leave that for you to wonder at. I’ll be around for the premiere so see you on Friday. By the way, I’ve now got the figure for the 2022/23 donation to the Samaritans - £11122.60 after the tax man has had his share. If we add that to previous Samaritans donations, we’ve made a rather nice £21169.48. Keep in mind we have donated to many other charities until we settled on the Samaritans.

Screenshot 2023-07-11 at 12.15.34.png

Neo9320

I’ve made some progress with future events and I’ve now got my cab pass for the Hull to Kings Cross filming with Hull Trains. I’m also waiting for news on filming the Huddersfield to Sheffield via the Penistone Line. I’ve had several attempts at filming TRU but it changes so fast, each time it goes rapidly out of date but we’ll try again next week. The Toton to Walsall video will be premiered on Friday at 20:30 UK time. It follows a Class 70 and 29 loaded cement tanks over the freight lines via Castle Donnington and Sutton Park. Now the latter took me a little by surprise as I was expecting a largely industrial setting but I couldn’t be more wrong. There hasn’t been a scheduled passenger train since 1965 so I’ll leave that for you to wonder at. I’ll be around for the premiere so see you on Friday. By the way, I’ve now got the figure for the 2022/23 donation to the Samaritans - £11122.60 after the tax man has had his share. If we add that to previous Samaritans donations, we’ve made a rather nice £21169.48. Keep in mind we have donated to many other charities until we settled on the Samaritans.

View attachment 138945
Amazing work Don! And an amazing amount for a worthy cause. Keep up the stellar job!

Y Ddraig Coch

Established Member

View attachment 138945
Love this post definitely wins the most positive post of the day. well done on all of it.
( actually...probably the only positive post of the day knowing this site )

Railwaysceptic

Established Member

View attachment 138945
Thank you for the update and congratulations on the sums you've raised for charities. I know what I'll be watching on Friday evening!

Pigeon

Just watched the latest one - super stuff. The Castle Donington section is particularly appreciated, as is the Sutton Park line (I already have a video of that but the quality is pretty rotten).

Yes, indeed it is non-industrial - there was a lot of kerfuffle when it was built over the route going through the park.

Railwaysceptic

Established Member
I’m also waiting for news on filming the Huddersfield to Sheffield via the Penistone Line. I’ve had several attempts at filming TRU but it changes so fast, each time it goes rapidly out of date but we’ll try again next week.
Have you had any luck in making progress? The only videos of this route at present are decades old and have atrocious picture quality, so I'm very much looking forward to your video.

Don Coffey

Just a quick heads up for anyone interested. Providing this enormous file uploads (It’s the first full length 4K video I’ve attempted to upload), it should go live on Saturday at 20:00. Whether you are interested or just fancy a ride out on a nice day, it should appeal.

This video covers three trips in nice weather - Piccadilly to Leeds non-stop, York to Huddersfield via the stopping service through Mirfield Loop and finally Victoria to Stalybridge. I can’t tell you everything because some things haven’t completed public consultation but just about everything published and what has been done so far is there. Class 185s are the traction in all cases because that’s all I sign these days but they provide an interesting soundtrack.

Attachments

• TRU header.jpg
    TRU header.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 34

Don Coffey

Have you had any luck in making progress? The only videos of this route at present are decades old and have atrocious picture quality, so I'm very much looking forward to your video.
Yes as it happens. It’s been agreed and we should be getting a date real soon. Other trips authorised are Hull to Kings Cross and Trafford Park to Wembley.

SteveyBee131

Absolutely awesome, thanks for your hard work in making all this possible! Your channel is right up there in my favourites. Looking forward to the upcoming releases :D

Requeststop

Hi Don, Just caught your latest production on You Tube, Piccadilly-Leeds / York-Huddersfield. Fantastic. The level of detail of description of the TRU plus other works and items of interest was marvellous and I mean the word marvellous. You were also able to capture this Cornishman's interest in the TRU works and what is proposed for the future, and I hope that someday I'll be able to cover the lines under the wires. Yet another great video and my thanks for your work, interest and support for the Samaritans. Bravo!

Railwaysceptic

Established Member
Yes as it happens. It’s been agreed and we should be getting a date real soon. Other trips authorised are Hull to Kings Cross and Trafford Park to Wembley.
Very good news so thank you.

I've just watched your latest three part TRU update. Very interesting, and again thank you. These changes make your earlier videos of this route valuable records of the past.

karlbbb

Fantastic work on the latest video, I found it to be very interesting and informative. I hope one day we'll have someone (yourself or anyone) making cab ride videos of the rather boring Merseyrail network, but with plenty of information like you provide. There's some videos from 1990 floating around, as well as a recent-ish run up the Southport line, but with crazy audio to cover the cab conversation :)

nlogax

Established Member
Another one for the thank-yous pile @Don Coffey ..really great work and I think everyone here appreciates all your efforts with making them happen. Been a subscriber of your channel for some time and I hope you continue to gain followers!

Strathclyder

Established Member
Allow me to add another thank you to the pile. Been a long-time subscriber of your channel @Don Coffey, and the latest video on the TRU is yet another excellent production. I and no doubt many others, greatly appreciate the efforts that go into making them possible. Hope your channel continues to flourish!