• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Don Coffey cab ride video discussion

Pigeon

Yes, thanks very much for the most informative TRU video. It's a useful extra perspective on what's being done where in addition to that available from maps and from the rather obfuscatory and poorly informative website. Although it's a bit disturbing to see the number of listed structures they seem to have been able to get permission to eat.

Looks like the new station south of Cottingley is in pretty much the same place as the original Churwell station that closed in 1940 :)

Looking forward to the Penistone line video, and still hoping you'll have a chance to get the Old Road all the way to Rotherham at some point!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Railwaysceptic

Established Member
I notice that Don Coffey has a new video in two weeks from now: Preston to Tunstead. I look forward to that.

Don Coffey

I notice that Don Coffey has a new video in two weeks from now: Preston to Tunstead. I look forward to that.
Yes, that will be running tonight at half eight. Regarding video quality, I had an awful time with the TRU video. It seemed fine for a couple of days then it all went to pieces and was virtually unwatchable for a good couple of weeks. One of the guys on the Facebook group told me about the way the videos are rendered and suggested being patient and sure enough it’s now worthy of any good 4k tv. The problem I have now is that I don’t want to risk two week demics while we wait for it to render. For that reason I recorded Trafford Park to Wembley in 2.7/50fps because four and a half hours would presumably shut YouTube down! Thanks for all the comments regarding the donations and there’s no doubt that this is the reason so many TOCs and FOCS are being so helpful. In that respect, I now have dates for Hull to Kings X, Piccadilly to Reading and Cleethorpes to Lime St in the diary (weather permitting of course). Ironically, that little sought after jewel Penistone run will have to wait because in between keeping mrs C happy with holidays and driving part time with TPE, my diary is chock full BUT I’m under pressure from Network Rail to get it done because they use the videos for all sorts of things when referencing projects etc so I promise I’ll get onto it as soon as possible (you never know we might just coax Northern into doing Bradford via Halifax at the same time. So! Premier tonight and the next video will be Trafford Park to Wembley. I might just split that in two at Nuneaton, we’ll see when I get going with it. I’ll leave you with a screenshot just south of Crewe - two powerbanks and two GoPro 9s running just in case!

Attachments

• IMG_0848.jpeg
    IMG_0848.jpeg
    655.3 KB · Views: 45

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Yes, that will be running tonight at half eight. Regarding video quality, I had an awful time with the TRU video. It seemed fine for a couple of days then it all went to pieces and was virtually unwatchable for a good couple of weeks. One of the guys on the Facebook group told me about the way the videos are rendered and suggested being patient and sure enough it’s now worthy of any good 4k tv. The problem I have now is that I don’t want to risk two week demics while we wait for it to render.
If they take two weeks to properly render after being uploaded, wouldn't a possible solution be to upload them as "private" at first and then make them "public" a couple of weeks later after they've finished the rendering?

Strat-tastic

Established Member
Two cameras, so in theory could stereo 3D be possible?
I enjoy 3D photography so I think it would be impressive if so.
Just musing... :smile:

Strat-tastic

Established Member
I've just watched the first half of the latest video. Early quality much better.
Started off with a nice moon hanging in the sky, then a gorgeous Winter sunrise.
It felt so wintry I went and put the heating on ;)
Cheers Mr. Coffey!

Pigeon

Just watched this one. Super stuff! Wonderfully atmospheric winter dawn scenes. I also love the way the whole feel of it changes as soon as you get past Chinley North Junction - all of a sudden, bang, now it's PROPER MIDLAND! :D Cheers Don, keep up the good work!

If they take two weeks to properly render after being uploaded, wouldn't a possible solution be to upload them as "private" at first and then make them "public" a couple of weeks later after they've finished the rendering?

Isn't that what youtube making people do this "premiere" guff is all about? As far as I can make out this means the video is indeed present and complete on youtube, and shows up in playlists and such, for some weeks beforehand, but youtube has blocked it for the time being - so essentially the same as a "private" video except that you do get screenshots. I thought they were forcing this delay on people precisely in order to give them time to complete the processing, so that by the time they let people watch it the quality would already have reached its final level. At any rate it seemed to start happening at about the same time as people stopped complaining that the initial quality wasn't up to scratch.

(Note: Absolutely nothing on the actual youtube website works at all in any way whatsoever, and I interact with it entirely through command-line scripts and utilities. So I have no idea what youtube's public excuse for it is; I'm just going on what I can observe of the results.)

But if this isn't functioning any more, then I am confused! The TRU video was fine for me, and so was this latest one. I might (if I remember) try downloading this one again in a few days to see if anything odd is happening.

As a point of reference, in case the encoding is a relevant factor, I'm retrieving the versions that use the vp9 codec in webm container, format 248+251 as youtube-dl calls it. The vp9 algorithm seems better suited to the particular characteristics of a cab ride video than mp4 is, and is better for not introducing annoying artefacts as well as giving significantly smaller files.

Don Coffey

Just watched this one. Super stuff! Wonderfully atmospheric winter dawn scenes. I also love the way the whole feel of it changes as soon as you get past Chinley North Junction - all of a sudden, bang, now it's PROPER MIDLAND! :D Cheers Don, keep up the good work!

Isn't that what youtube making people do this "premiere" guff is all about? As far as I can make out this means the video is indeed present and complete on youtube, and shows up in playlists and such, for some weeks beforehand, but youtube has blocked it for the time being - so essentially the same as a "private" video except that you do get screenshots. I thought they were forcing this delay on people precisely in order to give them time to complete the processing, so that by the time they let people watch it the quality would already have reached its final level. At any rate it seemed to start happening at about the same time as people stopped complaining that the initial quality wasn't up to scratch.

(Note: Absolutely nothing on the actual youtube website works at all in any way whatsoever, and I interact with it entirely through command-line scripts and utilities. So I have no idea what youtube's public excuse for it is; I'm just going on what I can observe of the results.)

But if this isn't functioning any more, then I am confused! The TRU video was fine for me, and so was this latest one. I might (if I remember) try downloading this one again in a few days to see if anything odd is happening.

As a point of reference, in case the encoding is a relevant factor, I'm retrieving the versions that use the vp9 codec in webm container, format 248+251 as youtube-dl calls it. The vp9 algorithm seems better suited to the particular characteristics of a cab ride video than mp4 is, and is better for not introducing annoying artefacts as well as giving significantly smaller files.
I have no idea what all the techy stuff means, I just edit them and upload them. The TRU video was the first I’d ever recorded in 4k. Most YouTube videos are half hour or so but must of mine are 2 to 3 hours or so. I don’t know what was going on in my iMac but the fans were running full speed towards the end of the edit - I thought about strapping it down at one stage. After uploading, it goes through an equally long stage of processing. One of YouTube’s own tutorials said that they scatter the upload to servers around the world then reassemble it afterwards. Anyway, the upshot was that for the first few days it was really nice but then it became virtually unwatchable. I thought people were exaggerating but they weren’t, it was bad. Then someone suggested leaving it bee as i was considering re uploading it. It paid off because after about two weeks, it came back and it now looks super on a 4k telly. Since then I’ve recorded another epic - Trafford Park to Wembley which was 4.5 hours. I reverted to 2.7/50 for that as I don’t want any rendering games.

By the way, glad you liked it and I liked the cold feeling too.

Pigeon

I have no idea what all the techy stuff means...

Sorry, didn't mean to confuse you; that stuff was intended for people watching the videos and trying to deduce, from what they see, what youtube is getting up to with them behind the scenes. The shenanigans plainly aren't your fault; it can only be youtube messing about automatically after you've uploaded the video and it's out of your hands, but trying to figure out the technical details of how and why and when it messes about is something of a compulsive reaction for people of a certain turn of mind :)

Railwaysceptic

Established Member
In answer to the release date, it is this Saturday 22nd April at 20:00. I’m afraid though, for pathing reasons, it goes via Leicester.
Ben Elias has come to the rescue! His latest video - Derby to Preston - shows the route from Derby as far south as Wichnor Junction where he diverts along the Lichfield Single to join the WCML.

It's a good video and an essential addition to our libraries.

Last edited:

Pigeon

Cheers for the alert. That's a very interesting video with the section from Wichnor Jc to Lichfield, which I don't have anywhere else. Nice bonuses too in doing all the "fiddles and wriggles" on the way, Crewe independents, Earlestown, Helsby, the falling to pieces viaduct etc.

Railwaysceptic

Established Member
Cheers for the alert. That's a very interesting video with the section from Wichnor Jc to Lichfield, which I don't have anywhere else. Nice bonuses too in doing all the "fiddles and wriggles" on the way, Crewe independents, Earlestown, Helsby, the falling to pieces viaduct etc.
You're very welcome. I think we should all share info about new worthwhile videos, but the specific thread for that in this forum is used mainly by people promoting their own product.

Another newish video by a newish poster is Stenson Junction to Stoke-on-Trent . . . .

. . . . . which plugs a gap in my collection. It's part of a series from Bedford to Crewe which has reasonable picture quality but over abrupt editing.

Don Coffey

Watch out for joint ventures with Ben Elias at Colas and Mike Clark from EMR.

Next video will run next Sunday the 12th November at 17:00. It’s Trafford Park to Wembley with GB Railfreight and it is not far off 4.5 hours hence the early start. I’m driving trains the following day so can’t run it any later. This fascinating epic journey shows the entire route and goes via Stockport and the Northampton Loop. It passes through a biblical rainstorm which I could have re-recorded but I get requests for rain and this one is worth seeing. Speaking of rain, I recorded Cleethorpes to Oxford Road yesterday and while the weather is really nice to Sheffield, we witness more stair rods in the Hope Valley. Really nice footage which I’ll probably get out in the New Year. I’m out with XC soon recording Piccadilly to Reading (already postponed once due to flippin' poor weather). I’m currently editing a spectacular run from Kings X to Hull with Hull Trains and if all goes well, that will be a Boxing Day afternoon premier. I’ll be around for the premier next Sunday so you can ask questions on the hoof (go easy on me because I neither sign 66s or most of the route!). You might need a supply of snacks and drinks if you intend sitting it out in one session.

TP-W.jpg

Railwaysceptic

Established Member
Watch out for joint ventures with Ben Elias at Colas and Mike Clark from EMR.

Next video will run next Sunday the 12th November at 17:00. It’s Trafford Park to Wembley with GB Railfreight and it is not far off 4.5 hours hence the early start. I’m driving trains the following day so can’t run it any later. This fascinating epic journey shows the entire route and goes via Stockport and the Northampton Loop. It passes through a biblical rainstorm which I could have re-recorded but I get requests for rain and this one is worth seeing. Speaking of rain, I recorded Cleethorpes to Oxford Road yesterday and while the weather is really nice to Sheffield, we witness more stair rods in the Hope Valley. Really nice footage which I’ll probably get out in the New Year. I’m out with XC soon recording Piccadilly to Reading (already postponed once due to flippin' poor weather). I’m currently editing a spectacular run from Kings X to Hull with Hull Trains and if all goes well, that will be a Boxing Day afternoon premier. I’ll be around for the premier next Sunday so you can ask questions on the hoof (go easy on me because I neither sign 66s or most of the route!). You might need a supply of snacks and drinks if you intend sitting it out in one session.

View attachment 145991
Many thanks for the update. I look forward to all of those future videos.

Pigeon

Cheers for that one Don, and I am looking forward to seeing Piccadilly to Reading in particular.

Youtube was only offering mp4 formats for the first few hours, but it came up with the webm versions some time after midnight. I've seen the same behaviour with a couple of other people's videos lately.

Does Mike Clark have his own youtube channel? I've got Ben Elias's noted down but I haven't been able to find Mike's if he has one (crappy search engines don't help; Google deliberately sucks for searching youtube because they want you to search on youtube itself, and Bing has been going deolali lately).

Ben Elias has another new one out at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPtmygWOhjU - Alrewas to Stockport via Macclesfield on the NMT. The Macclesfield route fills a long-sought gap for me. Good engine sounds too, but they do make me miss the Valentas!

Don Coffey

Cheers for that one Don, and I am looking forward to seeing Piccadilly to Reading in particular.

Youtube was only offering mp4 formats for the first few hours, but it came up with the webm versions some time after midnight. I've seen the same behaviour with a couple of other people's videos lately.

Does Mike Clark have his own youtube channel? I've got Ben Elias's noted down but I haven't been able to find Mike's if he has one (crappy search engines don't help; Google deliberately sucks for searching youtube because they want you to search on youtube itself, and Bing has been going deolali lately).

Ben Elias has another new one out at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPtmygWOhjU - Alrewas to Stockport via Macclesfield on the NMT. The Macclesfield route fills a long-sought gap for me. Good engine sounds too, but they do make me miss the Valentas!
Mike doesn’t have his own channel, he’s got one of my cameras and is currently filming for me with his company’s permission.

Pigeon

I had indeed - a pleasant little diversion. The camera does amazingly well at seeing in the dark, too.

Requeststop

Hi Don, I also noticed the nighttime Manchester run which I found very enjoyable. I subscribe to your Youtube channel and get the alerts to new material.
I enjoy cab rides immensely and have a huge collection of rides from Brazil to Japan, Australia and New Zealand, and all over Europe and a few from Russia. The only continent that I cannot find on the net for cab rides is Africa.
I'm looking forward to your next video's and congratulate you on your sponsorship for the Samaritans.

Don Coffey

Hi Don, I also noticed the nighttime Manchester run which I found very enjoyable. I subscribe to your Youtube channel and get the alerts to new material.
I enjoy cab rides immensely and have a huge collection of rides from Brazil to Japan, Australia and New Zealand, and all over Europe and a few from Russia. The only continent that I cannot find on the net for cab rides is Africa.
I'm looking forward to your next video's and congratulate you on your sponsorship for the Samaritans.
Much appreciated, thanks for following.

Don Coffey

I’m on with Cleethorpes to Manchester Oxford Road on one of our 185s at the moment so here is a quick look at a couple of the interesting bridges in the video. This is Keadby Sliding Bridge which literally slides the railway clear while canal boats pass and there is another fascinating bridge over the River Trent which is a Scherzer rolling bascule bridge. It’s a mouthfull but it is an enormous bridge for rail and road which is capabable of lifting clear of the river with no upper height restriction. Look closely at the mechanism and you’ll see that it rolls back as it lifts completely clearing the river piers. The rolling mechanism is virtually frictionless which means it took very little power to lift it.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-02-02 at 21.29.01.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-02 at 21.29.01.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 40
  • Screenshot 2024-02-02 at 22.22.52.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-02 at 22.22.52.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 40

Don Coffey

The Cleethorpes to Oxford Road Video will air on Thursday 22nd at 19:00 UK time. Instructor Assessor Nic Blair who drove it for us will be there to answer your questions so all being well we’ll see you on Thursday.

Attachments

• 28718.jpeg
    28718.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 28

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I’m on with Cleethorpes to Manchester Oxford Road on one of our 185s at the moment so here is a quick look at a couple of the interesting bridges in the video. This is Keadby Sliding Bridge which literally slides the railway clear while canal boats pass and there is another fascinating bridge over the River Trent which is a Scherzer rolling bascule bridge. It’s a mouthfull but it is an enormous bridge for rail and road which is capabable of lifting clear of the river with no upper height restriction. Look closely at the mechanism and you’ll see that it rolls back as it lifts completely clearing the river piers. The rolling mechanism is virtually frictionless which means it took very little power to lift it.
The big rolling bascule bridge over the river hasn’t opened since 1956, I understand it’s no longer functional. Which isn’t intended to criticise your description of how it would have worked back when it was working. Massive structure but only low power required..