• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Double third rail query

spellbound330

I’ve always known third rail to be placed on one side of the track only, however, departing New Cross Gate on the Overground tracks there is a third rail on both sides of the track after a relatively long gap section. I’m suspecting it’s there to provide extra power up the gradient. I’m not talking about the London underground fourth rail, there is literally two third in the picture. Why is this?

Attachments

• IMG_1038.jpeg
    IMG_1038.jpeg
    921.6 KB · Views: 605
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

edwin_m

Veteran Member
The third rail disappears completely at the far end of the "double" section so it's unlikely to be providing extra power to send the train onto unelectrified track.

This looks like a Google Earth image. The software may mess up where it is trying to stitch multiple images together. Does the "double third rail" also appear in ordinary Google maps and Bing maps?

zwk500

Veteran Member
This looks like a Google Earth image. The software may mess up where it is trying to stitch multiple images together. Does the "double third rail" also appear in ordinary Google maps and Bing maps?
It appears in Google Maps satellite view, it's the southbound East London Line from platform 1 shortly before joining into the Down Sussex Slow.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
OK, it appears on Bing too so probably not a mapping artefact. At a guess it's because trains using this track are trying to accelerate out of the platform and for a longer-than-usual period only the shoes at the front will be on the juice. Having rails both sides means the possible large current draw is shared between the front shoes on each side.

Depending where under the bridge it ends, the gap may be long enough to gap a four-car unit for a short distance (but not a five-car), so it's possible they want 100% isolation between the ELR supply and the rest of the network for some reason. This is essential where Underground trains transition between the true fourth rail (with electrical isolation of both power rails from the running rails) and sections where the fourth rail is at the same potential as the running rails, but at those places it's only about a coach length as the shoes on Underground trains aren't interconnected between coaches. But I can't see why it would be necessary here.

spellbound330

Even if they wanted to separate the ELL electrification from the Sussex electrification they could probably achieve it with a shorter gap section. I just find it odd there’s a long gap section and then two third rails. Why not just put it lower down to close the gap.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Even if they wanted to separate the ELL electrification from the Sussex electrification they could probably achieve it with a shorter gap section. I just find it odd there’s a long gap section and then two third rails. Why not just put it lower down to close the gap.
There does seem to be an equivalent long gap northbound on the ramp down from the flyover. An isolation gap would have to be the length of a train as all shoes are cross connected.

spellbound330

That makes sense, is this gap section at NXG the length of a five car train?

Attachments

• IMG_1040.jpeg
    IMG_1040.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 388

spellbound330

What are the consequences of having two separate power supplies mix with each other through the cross connection? Both the ELL and Sussex line are 750V DC after all.

TurboMan

What are the consequences of having two separate power supplies mix with each other through the cross connection? Both the ELL and Sussex line are 750V DC after all.
Normally nothing as it's a DC supply (so no separate phases as with AC). But if one section were isolated then there is a risk of re-energising it via the power unit line that runs the length of the train and connects all the shoegear - if one shoe is on the live section, power will pass along the PUL to a shoe on the isolated section. This is why module DC of the rule book requires all shoes to be raised before a train moves from an energised to an isolated section.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Normally nothing as it's a DC supply (so no separate phases as with AC). But if one section were isolated then there is a risk of re-energising it via the power unit line that runs the length of the train and connects all the shoegear - if one shoe is on the live section, power will pass along the PUL to a shoe on the isolated section. This is why module DC of the rule book requires all shoes to be raised before a train moves from an energised to an isolated section.
The isolation issue may well be the reason, as the ELL is a different asset owner with their own maintenance rules.

Just to note, the transitions I mentioned above between "true" fourth rail and third rail with a fourth rail at earth potential do require a gap, otherwise the different voltages of the third and fourth rails would be bridged together.

norbitonflyer

Established Member
Just to note, the transitions I mentioned above between "true" fourth rail and third rail with a fourth rail at earth potential do require a gap, otherwise the different voltages of the third and fourth rails would be bridged together.
The problem is, surelym the different voltages between tghe positive rail of the 4-rail system (typically about 500V - negative rail is typically minus250V) and the live rail of the 3-rail shystem typically about 750V. Having a 250V difference across the positive pickups along the train would probably be bad news.

But if one section were isolated then there is a risk of re-energising it via the power unit line that runs the length of the train and connects all the shoegear - if one shoe is on the live section, power will pass along the PUL to a shoe on the isolated section.
I recall reading of an incident where that happened near Vauxhall whilst people were be evacuated from a train, the staff noticed the compressors strating up, signifying that the live rial had been re-energised. It seems another train had moved into the de-energised section, with the rear still in the energised section and able to bridge the gap.

Deepgreen

Established Member
Short sections with juice rails both sides are not uncommon, although this is a shade longer. It certainly wouldn't provide any extra power, as the voltage will be near enough the same, and that's what dictates power. It also shouldn't matter whether there has been a dead section just before as trains have shoes both sides anyway, so I imagine it must be a quirk of the two electrical areas combining.

That makes sense, is this gap section at NXG the length of a five car train?
Looks about right - therefore I imagine anything longer has to have some form of isolation applied.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Looks about right - therefore I imagine anything longer has to have some form of isolation applied.
The shoes are electrically connected only within a unit, so coupled units would be OK. Any units longer than the gap (measured from first shoe to last one) might need some special measures.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
The two systems could be run interconnected but it would complicate the isolation arrangements especially emergency isolations where abutting sections have to be taken initially so an incident on either network would have a much wider impact on services. Having the two con rails is odd but maybe just extra precautions against a unit getting stranded if it was missing any shoegear or when theres icing.

75A

Established Member
Could have done with that going up the Grosvenor Bank when 73 's were taking the Brighton & Eastbourne paper trains out on icy nights. We'd often go out using the diesel until we were on the bridge, just in case.

Last edited:

QueensCurve

Established Member
Do all trains have retractable shoegear?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
It’s not always provided, a good example is the 444/450 fleet. Their shoes can only be raised by traincrew in emergency, one shoe at a time. I once stumbled upon a training set up at Bournemouth where staff were being shown how to do it on a demonstration bogie rig. I asked the instructor and he said the bogies had fittings to retrofit the necessary extra parts, eg blanked threaded sockets, but unless the units were ever converted to dual voltage the functionality wouldn’t be needed.

350/1 has the same bogies but with the retraction mechanism. That's probably why everyone thought their shoe gear had been removed.

Established Member
I once stumbled upon a training set up at Bournemouth where staff were being shown how to do it on a demonstration bogie rig.

Presumably this was the “paddling up” procedure, using wooden paddles to raise and insulate the shoes from the conductor rail.

Last edited:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Presumably this was the “paddling up” procedure, using wooden paddles to raise and insulate the shoe from the conductor rail.
Yes that’s right, it was quite involved because the shoe and arm had to be safely held up with a strap once raised. I’m sure on a real train with them all cross connected the electrical safety risk must be high.

TurboMan

Yes, but in the sense that it possible to lift the shoegear out of the way on every train that runs on DC power from the third rail, even if it has to be done manually. On most DC-only units, the shoes are held down against the top of the 3rd rail by spring pressure, so you have to lift the shoes manually against the spring pressure using a wooden paddle then strap them in the raised position using a cable tie or something.

On most dual voltage units like the 377/2s, /5s and /7s, or 387s, the shoes are held against the top of the 3rd rail using main reservoir air pressure, and are retracted by spring pressure when the AC system is selected which cuts off the main res air supply to the shoegear - the spring is therefore acting in the opposite way to that on the DC-only unit, forcing the shoes up instead of down. This also has the benefit of raising the shoes if the unit loses main res air pressure due to a burst.

On some dual voltage units (e.g. 319s) the shoes remain in the lowered position when in AC mode.

Last edited:

TurboMan

I’m sure on a real train with them all cross connected the electrical safety risk must be high.
Very much so! It only takes one shoe on live 3rd rail for all the other shoes to be live, even if they're dangling and not in contact with the 3rd rail.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Very much so! It only takes one shoe on live 3rd rail for all the other shoes to be live, even if they're dangling and not in contact with the 3rd rail.
I remember on the old EP stock the shoes fuses were at solebar level and completely exposed to prying hands on many platforms although im not sure anyone came to harm. Todays ones are fortunately covered

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Platform walls on the DLR have projecting shields above where the shoegear stops, to reduce the risk of something like a dropped umbrella coming into contact with it.

Skoodle

I drive that line, that gap can be quite unforgiving sometimes. I usually take it up to 20mph and coast until the end of the conductor rail on the left, then I'll take power again. It does struggle, especially if you didn't get up to a decent coasting speed, even more so during low adhesion. It can be a while before you can get any meaningful traction if you coast the gap too slowly.

spellbound330

I drive that line, that gap can be quite unforgiving sometimes. I usually take it up to 20mph and coast until the end of the conductor rail on the left, then I'll take power again. It does struggle, especially if you didn't get up to a decent coasting speed, even more so during low adhesion. It can be a while before you can get any meaningful traction if you coast the gap too slowly.
Also why does the DSD always go off when departing Surrey Quays when the train hasn’t even been moving for 1 second yet to warrant an activation?