• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Double track on the Redditch branch

Status
Not open for further replies.

davetheguard

Established Member
I finally got around to taking a Cross City train from Birmingham New Street to the branch line terminus of Redditch yesterday. I've been meaning to do the trip for a while; mainly to view the new double-track section at the intermediate branch station of Alvechurch, installed so that the train service could be increased from two trains an hour to three.

Although I knew that the new double-track section was a so-called "dynamic loop" and not just a crossing loop at Alvechurch station, I was surprised just how far south of Alvechurch the double-track had been installed - it felt like half way to Redditch.

Also, I noticed that the road overbridge at Alvechurch station appeared to accommodate both tracks without a need to be widened; was the Redditch line ever double track before? Or, when the line was first built (when it ran right through to Evesham & Ashchurch) was it built with a double-track formation, in the hope that future growing traffic would require a second track?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Although I knew that the new double-track section was a so-called "dynamic loop" and not just a crossing loop at Alvechurch station, I was surprised just how far south of Alvechurch the double-track had been installed - it felt like half way to Redditch.

Where on the loop do the trains actually pass each other? I imagine they will be timetabled to pass on the flat junction at Barnt Green, so as to maximise the capacity for trains on the Bromsgrove route, and the travel time and service interval will then define where they pass the next train.

The Planner

Veteran Member
Closer to Alvechurch than the Weights Lane end. I don't recall them being timed to pass at Barnt Green, not sure how they could if they pass on the loop.

AndyW33

Also, I noticed that the road overbridge at Alvechurch station appeared to accommodate both tracks without a need to be widened; was the Redditch line ever double track before?
Double track between Barnt Green and Redditch, always single track from Redditch to Evesham. I believe, but am not certain, that Evesham to Ashchurch was double track.

Last edited:

Dr Hoo

Established Member

Thanks for really useful link.

From the pictures (and narrative) it is clear that Alvechurch was always in the middle of a single line section from Barnt Green to Redditch, albeit with a locally released single ended siding.

So although the bridge was evidently built with scope for double track it has only recently been used for that purpose. (Almost justifies a new Trivia thread on "what is the longest time between a bridge being built for double track and a second line actually being provided?")

AndyW33

Thanks for really useful link.

From the pictures (and narrative) it is clear that Alvechurch was always in the middle of a single line section from Barnt Green to Redditch, albeit with a locally released single ended siding.

So although the bridge was evidently built with scope for double track it has only recently been used for that purpose. (Almost justifies a new Trivia thread on "what is the longest time between a bridge being built for double track and a second line actually being provided?")

Yes, It's clear I was wrong when I said this section had ever been double track.

ac6000cw

Established Member
(Almost justifies a new Trivia thread on "what is the longest time between a bridge being built for double track and a second line actually being provided?")

Probably infinite time - doubtless there are examples around of double-track structures that only ever hosted a single track, right up to the time the line was closed to all traffic and the track lifted...

Probably infinite time - doubtless there are examples around of double-track structures that only ever hosted a single track, right up to the time the line was closed to all traffic and the track lifted...

Ecclesbourne Valley Railway being a case in point- although the track was never lifted. It was designed to be a double track main line towards Manchester but ended up as a single track branch line to Wirksworth with a very wide trackbed and overbridges

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

Not only on rail but on road - all the single-carriageway grid roads in Milton Keynes have been built with reserved space to dual them if necessary, including in some cases (though not all) full-width bridges and underpasses. Some were dualled, others have remained as single.

davetheguard

Established Member
Thanks to everyone for their helpful replies; and the links have been very interesting.

The Redditch Cross-City service must count as a major success story: it's gone from 3 trains a day; to 2 trains an hour; and now with the extra infrastructure to 3 trains an hour. Great stuff!

Veteran Member
Thanks to everyone for their helpful replies; and the links have been very interesting.

The Redditch Cross-City service must count as a major success story: it's gone from 3 trains a day; to 2 trains an hour; and now with the extra infrastructure to 3 trains an hour. Great stuff!

I recall that the Saturday lunchtime return trip was the only way to do the branch back in winter 1971/72 (I did Wolves LL in the twilight the same day). Alvechurch had a MR LQ distant, and there was still a disc and crossbar effort in the sidings at Bourneville....

Chris125

Established Member
On this site http://www.npemap.org.uk/tiles/map.html#404,268,1 there are Ordnance maps from the late 40s and early 50s. In those days, single- and multiple-track railways were indicated differently, so you can get an impression of the situation as it existed around that time.

The National Library of Scotland site is also worth a look, they have maps for Alvechurch dating from 1883 to 1945:

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/find/#zoom=13&lat=52.3492&lon=-1.9656&layers=39&point=-2.5910,51.5257

Status
Not open for further replies.