• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Driver looking for career change...

Traindriver40

I've been an HGV driver, and i also worked in Transport management for a large HGV business, i can honestly say in my experience i would never return. The drivers are working close to 48 hours a week, being monitored on everything they do in terms of safe and fuel, efficient driving, heavy braking, cruise control expected to be used at around 87% of journey to heavy on the accelerator, cctv in cabs and out the front of them, sometimes dictated when to take holidays, disciplined for the most basic things. It;'s an industry i worked in for a number of years, you don't want to spend your days and nights on the road network in the UK its a mess, road closures, heavy traffic jams, half the people on the road don't drive properly, hgv drivers tend to get blamed for most incidents. You will in general be paid far less and have to work far more, you might find the odd job that isn't that but in general i would stay well away.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Class2ldn

Established Member
That railway isn't that different nowadays unfortunately. Other industries are catching up with our pay and conditions now, yes there are some awful hgv jobs out there paying a pittance but I guess its finding the right balance.
I'm not against staying in the railway but it needs to be something different and interesting, not just driving some old shed of a dmu from one city to another hoping you'll make it without a fault lol.

Lurcheroo

That railway isn't that different nowadays unfortunately. Other industries are catching up with our pay and conditions now
Genuinely, if you can find me a job in any sector where no qualifications are required, or that will be paid for by the employer, that will pay me £71K base for a 4 day week, where everything such as holidays, overtime, how many hours my days work can be moved are tightly controlled for our benefit, Plus having days where I’m booked to do nothing and can go home after 6 hours whilst getting paid for 9 and even on days with booked work I can get ‘scoops’ or ‘fiddles’ that allow me to go home an hour or 2 early whilst still getting paid then I would genuinely be very intrigued. I enjoy the job but it’s not exactly the most rewarding or exciting.

Must be outside of London though.

Class2ldn

Established Member
I've maintained that the railway in terms of conditions is better overall then the majority of jobs but the gap is certainly getting smaller now.
For me im certainly not on 71k and I'd have to work more hours then some of the other industries to get anywhere near that at my toc.

Samzino

Established Member
This thread does highlight in the sort of Golden Handcuffs one may be placed in with the Train Driver role especially if there isn't much wiggle room in terms of finances and family life. I know of a Driver who's recently gone to NR Signaling from a TOC, One has become a NR MOM and the other went abroad to take up a managerial role in Australia on their upcoming Metro project.

llimma

Genuinely, if you can find me a job in any sector where no qualifications are required, or that will be paid for by the employer, that will pay me £71K base for a 4 day week, where everything such as holidays, overtime, how many hours my days work can be moved are tightly controlled for our benefit, Plus having days where I’m booked to do nothing and can go home after 6 hours whilst getting paid for 9 and even on days with booked work I can get ‘scoops’ or ‘fiddles’ that allow me to go home an hour or 2 early whilst still getting paid then I would genuinely be very intrigued. I enjoy the job but it’s not exactly the most rewarding or exciting.

Must be outside of London though.

Which TOC/FOC is paying £71k for a 4 day week?

Satire? Because if not where do I send my CV.

whoosh

Established Member

South Western Railway must be on about that. C2c not far off.

London Overground on £78k !

The first two had a rise in 2022 though as the last year of a multi-year deal.
Overground has had rises every year.

LNER on about £70k for slightly shorter days but 4.25 day week on average.

Lurcheroo

Satire ? Absolutely not. TFW pay £68,300 right this minute. Up to £71K in a December 2024 and then +RPI % for April 2025.
Sundays in the working week so that’s for a true 4 day week.
I’m sure Avanti aren’t far off £70K and caught up in the dispute so if Labour sort it out could be north of £70K, same for GWR I think.

irish_rail

On Moderation
Satire ? Absolutely not. TFW pay £68,300 right this minute. Up to £71K in a December 2024 and then +RPI % for April 2025.
Sundays in the working week so that’s for a true 4 day week.
I’m sure Avanti aren’t far off £70K and caught up in the dispute so if Labour sort it out could be north of £70K, same for GWR I think.
GWR is £62,000 ,nowhere close to 70k sadly! . One of the lower paid TOCs these days, especially in terms of Intercity operators.

Economist

XC are on £65k, Sundays outside but committed, there's booking on/off payments for early starts and late finishes. I believe working the booked roster (including around 20 Sundays) brings in £73-£75k.

Qualified entrants are on full salary after 12 months, trainees after 2 years PQ IIRC.

Personally, I enjoy train driving, the only career I'd consider leaving it voluntarily for is flying.