• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Driver opportunities with no requirement on distance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparrow

Morning all,

So I have a question and I can't find the answer anywhere.

Do any TOCs advertising for Trainnee Drivers allow applications, for those living outside their radius requirements, on the basis they will be allowed to relocate if successful.

I can't even get a role for the company I work for (Chiltern) as I need to live 45 minutes from Marylebone or Aylesbury and they won't offer interview unless I move first, which is crazy.

So wondering if any TOC allow you to apply if your willing to move if successful.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pendy12

Not that I'm aware of. Its a health and safety policy which makes sense if someone has been driving trains at unsociable hours then to drive a long period to get home. Its too big a risk for any TOC essentially.

T-Karmel

I remember that SWR allowed relocation when they advertised over year ago.

I think TPE allows it as well.

DriverEight

I remember that SWR allowed relocation when they advertised over year ago.

I think TPE allows it as well.
Does anyone know if they make it a contractual obligation? For instance, you're employment will be terminated if you haven't moved within 3 months of starting.

YingYing

It's not a TOC, granted, but if you're just looking to get into the driving grade, OTM and tamper operator/drivers don't tend to require minimum travel times as you can be sent anywhere to work.

KT530

GWR certainly do, as long as you show evidence in your interview that you are willing to relocate to the local area.

Rockhopper

They have done this because people promised to relocate then never did so putting themselves and the company at risk.

Eebbs1912

The only trainee driver position you'll likely get where distance isn't an issue is Trainee driver on the OTM's that work nationwide like I'm on. You'd still get your license, though you'd maybe be working away more for a bit.

paepo

TPE, Cross Country and ScotRail all allow relocation after they've employed you. No need to be within 45mins/1hour at point of applying, just state on application you're willing to relocate and ensure you've done research on areas to show you are serious when it's brought up in interview. No checks made once employed that I've experienced or have ever heard of but don't know about any other TOCs.

Sparrow

TPE, Cross Country and ScotRail all allow relocation after they've employed you. No need to be within 45mins/1hour at point of applying, just state on application you're willing to relocate and ensure you've done research on areas to show you are serious when it's brought up in interview. No checks made once employed that I've experienced or have ever heard of but don't know about any other TOCs.
That’s good to hear. So many good people don’t apply because of been out off. Heard Southwest offer relocation

Last edited by a moderator:

Established Member
Does anyone know if they make it a contractual obligation? For instance, you're employment will be terminated if you haven't moved within 3 months of starting.

No they don’t. It would be impossible to enforce this, which is why a lot now crack down on where people live at the application stage.

I’ve spoken to drivers who complain about struggling to get to and from work for early starts/finishes on the basis that “they knew where I lived when they hired me”, so I’m afraid I can see why TOCs take this approach.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
I think there will ultimately be very few now that don't have a 60 minute max restriction. Fatigue for extreme early / late shifts is not to be taken lightly, especially for new recruits where there can be hundreds of applicants per position and they can afford to be picky.

Lewis H

I lived outside of the 45 minutes when I applied to SWR, and was offered the role on the basis that I moved. What I will say though is, even though I did move, plenty of other drivers live much further than 45 minutes away, some up to 2 hours!

wobman

On Moderation
People have to bear in mind as a driver if your on a 2.30am start and have over a 1hr commute add to that waking up and getting ready, wake up at 1am for a 2.30am start then work a 9.30hr shift. The fatigue with these shifts is very high, that's why TOCs use a fatigue index with jobs and rostering.

Lots of conclusions from incident investigations after an incident are that fatigue is a major factor, that's why TOCs have the distance from work distance condition during recruitment.

Sparrow

I lived outside of the 45 minutes when I applied to SWR, and was offered the role on the basis that I moved. What I will say though is, even though I did move, plenty of other drivers live much further than 45 minutes away, some up to 2 hours!
It’s good to know they have done that and given you the chance.

It’s just so hard because like
So many other people, you can’t move location on the basis that a job might come up in the future, it’s not feasible.

What SWR do is a very far way I think.

cossie4i

I lived 170 miles away when I applied for a job with DB in 2014.
I informed them I would move if offered the job and would live in digs until I found a property to move too.
DB had no issues with that but things have changed since.

skyhigh

Established Member
People have to bear in mind as a driver if your on a 2.30am start and have over a 1hr commute add to that waking up and getting ready, wake up at 1am for a 2.30am start then work a 9.30hr shift. The fatigue with these shifts is very high, that's why TOCs use a fatigue index with jobs and rostering.

Lots of conclusions from incident investigations after an incident are that fatigue is a major factor, that's why TOCs have the distance from work distance condition during recruitment.
To be fair the OP asked if there were any companies who would recruit on the condition they would relocate to within the distance requirement if successful

GWR certainly do, as long as you show evidence in your interview that you are willing to relocate to the

GWR certainly do, as long as you show evidence in your interview that you are willing to relocate to the local area.
Hi sorry I've just joined and I wanted to ask you a question re one of your replies to a different thread but I don't how to start a convo. Or send a message.

Sparrow

I think if you just click his name you can send directly but hope they see this anyway

Red Devil

My company have really tightened up on this requirement. Think they were sick of people promising they would relocate when what actually happened is as soon as they passed out they threw a depot transfer move in citing "welfare issues ". So now if you're not already in the catchment area then you've no chance.

wobman

On Moderation
My company have really tightened up on this requirement. Think they were sick of people promising they would relocate when what actually happened is as soon as they passed out they threw a depot transfer move in citing "welfare issues ". So now if you're not already in the catchment area then you've no chance.
This scenario happens so often, it's understandable why Tocs are being strict about this. TFW Holyhead depot for example is an exciting depot to start your career if you live local in the hour catchment criteria, they drive the mk4's and will have some of the new 197's based there. But they struggle to get local applications unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.