• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Driver Training

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red18

Does anyone know what percentage of trainees actually become fully qualified drivers?
Once on a driver training course are there elements that have to be passed in order to progress?
I've never read or heard of anyone failing once they are actually training. Is this because the filtering during the application process is so effective?

Just wondering :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

455driver

Veteran Member
[/COLOR]
Does anyone know what percentage of trainees actually become fully qualified drivers? Most but not all
Once on a driver training course are there elements that have to be passed in order to progress? All of it obviously.
I've never read or heard of anyone failing once they are actually training. Is this because the filtering during the application process is so effective? I have known loads fail it.

Dont think for a second that the recruitment is the hard bit, the training is intense and will take over your life.

Last edited:

GB

Established Member
I know one person that failed once on the course and I know of another that dropped out during the handling stage.

Red18

[/COLOR]

Dont think for a second that the recruitment is the hard bit, the training is intense and will take over your life.

I'm sure it does.
But is it a case of reaching a standard that the trainers are looking for at each stage or are there exams to sit along the way?

Do you think most people totally under estimate the level of commitment required?

notadriver

Established Member
There are exams to pass along the way and a lot of it is about your attitude. Know-it-alls won't get far.

E&W Lucas

Established Member
I'm sure it does.
But is it a case of reaching a standard that the trainers are looking at each stage or are there exams to sit along the way?

Do you think most people totally under estimate the level of commitment required?

Exams to pass. Rules, traction and final assessment.

When I worked for a TOC that did a lot of training, we reckoned on losing one per intake of 10. More often than not, they would drop out, realising that it wasn't for them, before they were failed.

I've also known people be removed from training during the process. It's not the sort of job that you can take chances with, and if someone is clearly unable to meet the standard, there is little choice.

A-driver

Established Member
I would think that the majority of trainees get through, you shouldn't get through the application if you can't pass the course but there are some who don't make it for whatever reason, not always that they 'fail' e course but often that they decide they don't like the job and that it isn't for them.

There are exams along the way but the trainers will do everything they can to help you pass, they don't want you to fail. There arnt so much pass or fail marks for these, you answer them, if you get them wrong you review them (normally the trainer re-words the question or puts it into a scenario to check if you do know what you need to know). I doubt you would do that badly in one of the exams as your trainer would know there are problems long before you sit any tests.

The practice side of it is just down to confidence. This comes with practice and your minder driver will help you with that. The 220 hours or whatever trainees need to do now a days is a minimum and neither your minder or manager will bother putting you forward for a competence assessment until they both feel you are ready and until you agree that you are ready.

Whilst there is homework and extra reading needed during the training it's not a case of sitting up reading through books and making notes 24/7 for a year-pay attention in the training, ask questions if you don't understand stuff and just keep reading through notes every so often to keep your knowledge up. You shouldn't need to sit up all night before any exams cramming revision in.

Red18

There are exams to pass along the way and a lot of it is about your attitude. Know-it-alls won't get far.

I can see why they put such an emphasis on trainabilty during the recruitment process then.
Well I have never even worked in the rail industry and so I would be foolish to go in with a 'know-it-all' attitude because in truth I know 'bob-all'.

I have worked in my current profession for nearly 30 years and still don't profess to know everything.

reapz

Does anyone know what percentage of trainees actually become fully qualified drivers?
Once on a driver training course are there elements that have to be passed in order to progress?
I've never read or heard of anyone failing once they are actually training. Is this because the filtering during the application process is so effective?

if your not a retard and want to learn you wont fail it really is that simple. work hard and try your best

Dave1987

On Moderation
The selection process tends to weed out people who are not up to the job, or at least it did. Certainly all the people I work with on a dy to day basis are top people who are well up to the job. But it would seem that the current selection procedures are no longer up to the task as they are changing them. So maybe people who are not up to the job are getting through to then struggle on the course. Having a dream to be a proffesional train driver does not mean you are definitely suited to it. TDK has pointed out many times that the practice material available is making the selection tests less valid. Maybe this is having a negative effect on pass rates on the the actual course.......

TDK

Established Member

There isn't really a percentage, there are many assessments to pass throughout your training, people don't usually fail, they either quit or asked to leave.

The main reason for people leaving or being asked to quit is their attitude usually, the worst type of person to have on a course is a know it all, I have had a few and in fact they know very little. I actually had one trying to argue with me when I was delivering a course, he was of course wrong and I made a point of informing him he was wrong. He stayed for a while and then quit saying that he needed more of a challenge in a job, in fact he left because he thought it was a breeze when in fact he couldn't cope with the training.

TDK

Established Member
There's more to it than that! Basic spelling, grammar and sentence structure in the application forms also help avoid the sift. ;)

However to become a driver you do not need any qualifications whatsoever and I cannot think of any other jobs that pay £40k a year plus that have the same requirement.

Established Member
However to become a driver you do not need any qualifications whatsoever and I cannot think of any other jobs that pay £40k a year plus that have the same requirement.

Very few, although in today's economic climate, there are a lot more people with school and university qualifications that will be applying for on board/driving jobs.

reapz

Very few, although in today's economic climate, there are a lot more people with school and university qualifications that will be applying for on board/driving jobs.

Life skills over crappy uni qualifications ever since village idiots started going to uni to do degrees in crap

TDK

Established Member

The trouble about univercity students in my experience is that when the leave Uni they know a lot about one suject and I feel it is a lot better to know a little about a lot of subjects

Silv1983

Life skills over crappy uni qualifications ever since village idiots started going to uni to do degrees in crap

Some poor folk have neither.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
The trouble about univercity students in my experience is that when the leave Uni they know a lot about one suject and I feel it is a lot better to know a little about a lot of subjects

So people who go to university know a lot about one subject... and those who go to work with dad in his workshop at 18 (for example) - somehow managed to gather loads of other life experience despite working longer hours than students study?

People at university face all the same challenges as those who go straight into work you know... they just delay the start of their working life by 3 years.

A-driver

Established Member
Whilst I'm not getting drawn into this debate, I feel that why a degree may not be as useful now as it once was Uni still is. Take a Uni leaver over a school leaver-a Uni leaver often shows to any employer that they have lived away from home, can get out of bed in the morning without needing mum to wake them up, does their own cooking/washing/shopping, can budget to a certain extent, can organise their diary/life without needing mum & dad to do it for them.

All things that put someone who has gone to Uni at an advantage over someone who is the same age but hasn't left home yet.

GB

Established Member
That's a bit of a somewhat patronising comment. Not everyone who lives/lived at home is/was a lazy waste of space who can't do anything for themselves.

Red18

I think if you get the opportunity to go to university then you should. Education is no bad thing.
However, I am always amazed at the number of graduates who leave uni with no idea what they want to do next. I am sure some do have a preferred career option and choose a course accordingly but there are many that do not.
Media Studies seems to be a favourite at the moment.

reapz

A-driver

Established Member
That's a bit of a somewhat patronising comment. Not everyone who lives/lived at home is/was a lazy waste of space who can't do anything for themselves.

Read what I wrote again as you have skimmed it and drawn your own (incorrect) conclusion.

Can you quote where I said people who lived at home are lazy, a waste of space or can't do anything by themselves please?

I said employers see the life skills Uni brings, something which you won't always get in the same way when living with parents.

reapz

Read what I wrote again as you have skimmed it and drawn your own (incorrect) conclusion.

Can you quote where I said people who lived at home are lazy, a waste of space or can't do anything by themselves please?

I said employers see the life skills Uni brings, something which you won't always get in the same way when living with parents.

uni life skills getting ****ed up, running up debt and partys

A-driver

Established Member

Same as train driving is being vastly overpaid to sit about all day pulling a leaver marked 'go' & 'stop' whilst striking every other day if the company don't agree to huge pay rises and basically doing a job a trained chimp could do?...

Funnily enough there is a bit more to going to Uni than the tabaloids report.

reapz

Same as train driving is being vastly overpaid to sit about all day pulling a leaver marked 'go' & 'stop' whilst striking every other day if the company don't agree to huge pay rises and basically doing a job a trained chimp could do?...

Funnily enough there is a bit more to going to Uni than the tabaloids report.

I dont read the crappy uk papers sounds like you do though, this is based on friends that have gone to uni

A-driver

Established Member
I dont read the crappy uk papers sounds like you do though, this is based on friends that have gone to uni

Ah, so not based on first hand experience then? Well ill bow to your superior knowledge. I only went to Uni for 3 years so I doubt I know what I'm talking about-I'm probably still stoned and hung over...

As I say, there is a bit more to Uni than drinking and going to parties.

CC 72100

Established Member

Go walk round a top university for yourself and we'll see whether you think this is still true. There hasn't been a single day when I didn't sit down to a piece of revision from April to end of exams a fortnight ago. Most weekends would be exactly the same as the week but with just no lectures to go to ie. still doing work.

Your comment shows the naivety that I have only seen before in the daily mail comments section.

reapz

Go walk round a top university for yourself and we'll see whether you think this is still true. There hasn't been a single day when I didn't sit down to a piece of revision from April to end of exams a fortnight ago. Most weekends would be exactly the same as the week but with just no lectures to go to ie. still doing work.

Your comment shows the naivety that I have only seen before in the daily mail comments section.

The original post was in regards to someone who said people who go to uni have more life skills than those that stay at home. My comments were in reaction to this.

Status
Not open for further replies.