• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Driverless trains report

Status
Not open for further replies.

LowLevel

Established Member
I didn't comment about whether I thought the world would be a better place with driverless trains or not, I was just commenting about whether it was technically possible and desirable from the point of view of the decision makers (who are not drivers).

Whether endless automation is a good thing for society is a much harder question, but one better answered on an economics forum (where I'm sure you still wouldn't get agreement).

Indeed - apologies for the slightly snappy tone - I just find as time goes by the mere mention of decision makers and bosses and their motivation for discharging their responsibilities gets my back up. I'm a bit of an idealist in that I want the best for everyone and struggle to cope with shaftings on financial grounds, and that there are people somehow justifying becoming very rich indeed in this manner.

As you say, not a topic for here really, we have enough of them, so I'll shut up :p

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DownSouth

Established Member
If the ATO on the Underground is meant to be a better 'driver' than a human, then I don't hold out much hope. It was certainly one of the roughest rides that I've ever experienced! … Certainly on LU it seems to be a case of full power - no power - full brake.
Poorly implemented ATO systems (whether driver-supervised or fully autonomous) do not present a case for abandoning ATO completely, they present a case for doing it better the next time around.

If this argument against a better form of ATO had been applied consistently, there would be no option other than going full driverless because the various shortcomings would have seen human drivers banned on safety grounds many years ago. But that's obviously not the case, when a human train driver stuffs up there is just an investigation started to find out what improvements to procedures and training are needed to stop it happening again.
I accept that it might make better use of capacity where things are tight, but is it really more efficient than a real driver who knows where he's got time to shut off and coast for a bit and where he needs to push it a bit?
Can't see why a more current iteration of the computer control technology shouldn't be able to do a far better job, and get it right every time without any risk of it being compromised by complacency, distraction or different drivers having different incorrect views on driving technique. With the correct "route knowledge" loaded into the system, the computer should need only a fraction of a second to calculate the most efficient power usage strategy for getting to the next objective in the required time, and then to recalculate multiple times every second.

If motor racing teams can have computers work out the optimum strategy for balancing lap times and energy usage (including lifting and coasting) then it should be a few orders of magnitude easier for the much simpler case of a railway line which is essentially a two-dimensional system.

O L Leigh

Established Member
Personally I can't see how rail (1 dimensional) is harder than driving (which is a 2 dimensional problem), or flying (which is 3d). In the case of driving you don't even have control of the network - you're surrounded by people doing random things *all* the time. There's limited control in both rail (due to rails and restricted access) and flying (Air traffic controllers etc).

I disagree for the reasons I outlined earlier (and in the previous thread on driverless trains).

All a car or airplane has to do is maintain a safe distance from other vehicles operating around it and react to anything that comes within a certain distance to it. As I have been at pains to point out, a driverless train does not have that option. If it detects an obstacle in the track it will hit it and, having done so, it will need to be able to identify what the obstacle was so that it can formulate it's next step.

Besides, simply driving the train is just one of a range of tasks that train drivers do.

O L Leigh

Kneedown

Established Member
A train with one or two crew members is not going to be significantly easier to evacuate than one without crew.
The passengers will detrain themselves and will be impossible to control, as we have seen elsewhere.

And police helicopters and ground units would arrive relatively quickly on the vast majority of the network.

Police Helicopters? Outside London there is normally one Police helicopter shared between two whole Counties, and up my way it seems to spend most of it's time hovering over Bulwell looking for ne'r do well's. Unless every County gets two or more helicopters on stand by at any one time (The Council Taxpayers will LOVE that!) it's not a certainty they'll be able to attend a train failure any time soon. It's hard enough to get the Police out at the best of times these days, and with all due respect to the boys in blue, they don't know much about PTS and railway procedures. Let's hope for clear weather if an incident happens so the helicopter can actually take off, let alone land in poor visibility.

You would use cameras on other trains that were nearby on our rather intensively operated network or were positioned around the network for other purposes.
(This is the era of big data, we can access any IP enabled camera anywhere on the system at the touch of a few keys).
If no units were available to look you would just send someone to look, be they railway personnel or the police - since it will be a fairly rare occasion.

There is an optical device out there that identifies things that the most modern digital cameras out there cannot. It comes with a wide field of view. It also has the ability to decide whether something is relevant or not, and immediately decide on the best course of action. It's called the Mk 1 Human Eyeball and is widely available.
I've a feeling our, already stretched and reduced Police will be kept rather busy.

The control centre will presumably be told where the track staff are.
The train would report that it had detected people sized moving objects on the track - not that they were trespassers.
Since control knows where the people authorised to be on the track are it knows that people found at position x can't possibly be authorised.

There may well be people who are known about and authorised to be in a given area, but that doesn't mean there are not people close by who are not supposed to be there!

Are you proposing to keep all old trains in service forever? :lol:

It often seems like there are plenty who do advocate this yes... unless we're talking about London and the SE of course! :)

Last edited:

DarloRich

Veteran Member
@olleigh/kneedown: You are banging your head against a wall I am afraid.

The big issue for me with driver “lite” operation in the open environment (as opposed to a closed/secure/segregated metro system) is as you say. The variables in the live environment are almost endless. While merely controlling propulsion/breaking is seemingly an “easy” operation responding to challenges is the key.

I also wonder how the driverless train will respond to say, degraded working or poor adhesion. It will not have the knowledge of the traction or route and the “human touch” to fall back on to understand what is happening and react accordingly. (See ABS in cars)

It is worth noting that ECTS does not envisage a driverless train for these reasons. It is further worth noting that under ECTS the system has to release full control to the driver on approach to stations, buffer stops etc as it can not get the braking curves right at this stage.

AngusH

@olleigh/kneedown: You are banging your head against a wall I am afraid.

The big issue for me with driver “lite” operation in the open environment (as opposed to a closed/secure/segregated metro system) is as you say. The variables in the live environment are almost endless. While merely controlling propulsion/breaking is seemingly an “easy” operation responding to challenges is the key.

I also wonder how the driverless train will respond to say, degraded working or poor adhesion. It will not have the knowledge of the traction or route and the “human touch” to fall back on to understand what is happening and react accordingly. (See ABS in cars)

It is worth noting that ECTS does not envisage a driverless train for these reasons. It is further worth noting that under ECTS the system has to release full control to the driver on approach to stations, buffer stops etc as it can not get the braking curves right at this stage.

I agree with the concerns raised, definitely.

I think if a true driverless train was deployed, it would have to be given full details of the route, and programmed how to react to bad track, poor adhesion and all other technical issues of driving. Not to mention how to observe, identify and handle other trains, objects on the track, track workers and anything else it might come across.

(Object observation is a really active area of research for use by driverless cars and is fairly plausible)

If it couldn't perform the driving tasks to the minimum standard demanded of a human driver I can't see how it could be approved.

I think, with enough time and money spent in development, that a train could be built that would be able to drive adequately well and react to most ordinary conditions.
The non-ordinary conditions are going to be the problem.

But, how much development effort would be needed? Given the difficulties of deploying ERTMS, which by comparison is an easier problem, I'm doubtful that driverless trains could be either cheap or easy to develop. Retrofitting existing vehicles will probably be impossible. :)

However, as a question, is anyone in the rail engineering industry actually working on fully autonomous open network trains? I haven't heard of anything except simple automatic train operation, closed-network metros and a few closed network freight operations like the Australian Rio Tinto freight trains.

carriageline

Established Member
I love how HSTED has actually disappeared in to the ether with this thread, after having his (in theory, good) ideas being picked apart and being unable to answer questions from rail staff who know how it works.

The general public don't really know how stretched the "ground teams" are these days. Some cover huge areas, with only one person on duty (look at the MOMs) So when a driver can jump down and sort something neglible, it can save thousands of delay minutes, and needless headaches.

By the time this all comes to fruition, (if the 2050 timeline is to be believed) I'll be close to retirement age (that's a scary thought!) so aslong as I stay into a job until then, I'm happy

AngusH

I'm not sure that the idea has been invalidated by the fact that various problems may exist currently. The rail network on which such trains operate will surely be different in many ways from the network of today. There may be specific changes that might be required in order to implement them at all.

I suspect that only some parts of the future network will support this type of train, at least at first.

In the end though, surely it will come down either to money or government order.

If some senior railway executive gets told by a seller of automated trains, "we can reduce your costs by 15%" or 20% or 100% or whatever, "just buy our new driverless trains". I suspect that this will get pushed through.

Similarly, if a civil servant or politician gets told, "look how efficient these new trains will be, no drivers, 24 hours a day, cheaper to run" etc.

It might also be used as an argument to keeping a branch line somewhere open, which if the only other option is closure, would definitely be correct.

The other possibility that occurs to me is that there might be some horrendous accident and some group takes advantage of the situation with a line like "but if we remove the driver it will be safer". I think this argument is incorrect, and should be generally resisted.

(Finally, for the avoidance of doubt, I'm not in favour of anyone losing their job)

orpine

I disagree for the reasons I outlined earlier (and in the previous thread on driverless trains).

All a car or airplane has to do is maintain a safe distance from other vehicles operating around it and react to anything that comes within a certain distance to it. As I have been at pains to point out, a driverless train does not have that option. If it detects an obstacle in the track it will hit it and, having done so, it will need to be able to identify what the obstacle was so that it can formulate it's next step.

Besides, simply driving the train is just one of a range of tasks that train drivers do.

O L Leigh
You raise a good point - avoidance is impossible with trains. But if you think about it, you'll realise that that makes the decision tree easier.

Consider:

Car:
There's something in front of me.
Will I get damaged if I hit it?
Will I damage it?
Is it human?

Can I avoid it?
Can I go left?
There's something to the left.
Can I go right?
There's something to the right.
Will I stop in time?
No.

Which item should I hit?
How much breaking do I need to do?
etc, etc.

And this entire process will take less time than it would take the human driver to even consciously realise there is something there. For bonus points the computer's reaction will also be predictable. Can you honestly tell me that every human will always make the optimum decision and action? Because all humans are really quite rubbish at tons of things they think they're awesome at. But we're especially bad at judging risk.

The items in bold are ones that would apply with a train.
You see that the train in this scenario is a subset of the car? There are guaranteed to be scenarios where a car will also be unable to manoeuvre and so will have the same decision tree that a train would need.

Don't get me wrong, I know there are plenty of difficulties (and this is one), but I have no illusions that humans will one day be replaceable and that statistically, the system will be safer for it. It's years away, it'll happen a few trains at a time (not the entire network at once) but it'll happen eventually.

thelem

The general public don't really know how stretched the "ground teams" are these days. Some cover huge areas, with only one person on duty (look at the MOMs) So when a driver can jump down and sort something neglible, it can save thousands of delay minutes, and needless headaches.

Driverless doesn't necessarily mean staffless. If staffless trains ever were introduced, I'm sure it would be after a long period of experience with driverless trains.

The more immediate question is what is likely to happen in the next five to ten years. Will we see ATO extended on Thameslink or Crossrail (perhaps as a way of increasing capacity on the Brighton mail line)? What role will ATO have in HS2?

21C101

Established Member
Driverless doesn't necessarily mean staffless.

Indeed, if you replace the drivers with train captains as per DLR you have the same number of staff per train.

The difference is you don't need to train them for a year or have route learning taking weeks for each new route, so you can get away with paying them less and they have much less leverage in industrial relations matters, because if push comes to shove they can be replaced with others much more easily than drivers can (think Ronald Reagan and his solution to industrial action by the USA air traffic controllers).

carriageline

Established Member
Sigh.

If people read the posts, I was argueing with the HSTGUY that completely staffless trains wouldn't work.

21C101

Established Member
Sigh.

If people read the posts, I was argueing with the HSTGUY that completely staffless trains wouldn't work.

I agree that it is unlikely ever to be acceptable in the UK - athough it has been done on certain metro lines in France so it is quite possible technically.

The major problem with it is that with no one on board passengers don't feel safe so don't use it, so its a commercial non starter

Of course originally all lifts were staffed and there were probably similar arguments when automatic staffless ones came in!

Kneedown

Established Member
And this entire process will take less time than it would take the human driver to even consciously realise there is something there. For bonus points the computer's reaction will also be predictable. Can you honestly tell me that every human will always make the optimum decision and action? Because all humans are really quite rubbish at tons of things they think they're awesome at. But we're especially bad at judging risk.

Yes indeed. A computer can make the wrong decision in a fraction of the time it takes the human brain!
Consider the Automatic Route Setting (ARS) introduced with the new East Midlands Signalling. Since it was switched on i've never known so many services wrong routed. Good job our Drivers were on the ball to spot them.

Dave1987

On Moderation
Indeed, if you replace the drivers with train captains as per DLR you have the same number of staff per train.

The difference is you don't need to train them for a year or have route learning taking weeks for each new route, so you can get away with paying them less and they have much less leverage in industrial relations matters, because if push comes to shove they can be replaced with others much more easily than drivers can (think Ronald Reagan and his solution to industrial action by the USA air traffic controllers).

Right so your automated train fails and your "train captain" needs to drive it manually. If that person isn't trained in how to drive a train manually properly how can they possibly drive a train safely. You can't just shove another person with a couple of weeks training in. Your train captain would still have to have all the training that a full driver does so what is the point in having completely driverless trains in the first place?

21C101

Established Member
Right so your automated train fails and your "train captain" needs to drive it manually. If that person isn't trained in how to drive a train manually properly how can they possibly drive a train safely. You can't just shove another person with a couple of weeks training in. Your train captain would still have to have all the training that a full driver does so what is the point in having completely driverless trains in the first place?

He would need some training to drive at low speed to the nearest station where everyone could be detrained then empty to a depot or the nearest cripple siding (again at low speed), obviously more than a couple of weeks, but nowhere near the amount of training/route knowledge needed for a driver. I would guess the level of training a guard had pre 60s (when they were required to check signals).

I suspect the major savings would be the ending of the need for specific route learning, along with lower pay than a driver would get (which has risen massively since privatisation as the unions have skilfully exploited the long qualification periods and need for specific route knowledge to raise drivers pay). Plus the train captain can act as a revenue protection inspector/fare collector, just as a guard can, which obviously a driver cannot.

In 2002 docklands train captains were paid 29% less than drivers. Don't know what the differential is now.

Last edited:

Dave1987

On Moderation
He would need some training to drive at low speed to the nearest station where everyone could be detrained then empty to a depot or the nearest cripple siding (again at low speed), obviously more than a couple of weeks, but nowhere near the amount of training/route knowledge needed for a driver. I would guess the level of training a guard had pre 60s (when they were required to check signals).

I suspect the major savings would be the ending of the need for specific route learning, along with lower pay than a driver would get (which has risen massively since privatisation as the unions have skilfully exploited the long qualification periods and need for specific route knowledge to raise drivers pay). Plus the train captain can act as a revenue protection inspector/fare collector, just as a guard can, which obviously a driver cannot.

In 2002 docklands train captains were paid 29% less than drivers. Don't know what the differential is now.

Sorry but I totally disagree, they would still be required to have full route knowledge, along with rules knowledge etc. the DLR is a small enclosed environment than runs at a fraction of the speed on the mainline. There are numerous scenarios where your Train Captain would need to take full control and drive manually at full speed, and for that they would need full route and rules knowledge and so they would need to be trained to the same level as a full driver.

carriageline

Established Member
Sorry but I totally disagree, they would still be required to have full route knowledge, along with rules knowledge etc. the DLR is a small enclosed environment than runs at a fraction of the speed on the mainline. There are numerous scenarios where your Train Captain would need to take full control and drive manually at full speed, and for that they would need full route and rules knowledge and so they would need to be trained to the same level as a full driver.

Now they do yes, but in 50 or so years time, who even knows.

carriageline

Established Member
I fail to see what will change significantly in the next 50 yrs to make it so.

I don't know, maybe the fact that in 50 or so years time the railway will be a completely different working environment (of course, if all these plans do happen) for staff and operating trains.
Well, if it goes the way HSTED wants it to, there won't be anyone left to adhere to the rule book!! If the railway want to save money with all this ATO business, I'm sure they will find a way of using an on board captain to shunt a train into a station. After all, what's the point of paying someone to hold driver competences, but they do customer service duties, and a very small percentage of that time is spent driving trains.

Unless they run it like the tube, and have an operator (or whatever you want to call him/her) in the cab supervising it.

How much do the operators on the ATO part of the tube network earn in comparison to their drivers?

Clip

Established Member
Simply saying it can not be done for this, that or another reason is totally false. It may not happen in my or your lifetime but we have overcome technoligical issues in the past and the issues many have raised in this thread can be overcome the same.

As Ive said before, motion detectors both on trains and using the catenary already in place would easily deal with the object on the track issue and the slowing of trains in the vicinity.

As for route knowledge should there be a need for someone to drive it then thats not a real issue either - especially if the train itself was only limited to a certain speed should it fail to speak to its control, staff on the train would know what route they are on. Yes it would slow down the services behind it and that but its not an insurmountable problem is it against what we currently have when a train fails?

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I agree that at present the technology is not advanced enougth to operate in the "open" environment. Perhaps in the future it will be (likely to be?) but i cant see that day being within the next few years!

thelem

Sigh.

Sorry for assuming that your post (that didn't quote the posts it was replying to) was on the topic of the thread, rather than a related issue.

I'm not familiar with the arguments of HSTGUY, and don't ususally need to dig back through previous pages to understand each new post that people make.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
There are numerous scenarios where your Train Captain would need to take full control and drive manually at full speed, and for that they would need full route and rules knowledge and so they would need to be trained to the same level as a full driver.

What are these scenarios?

I can see two basic categories:
1. There's an easily fixable problem, such as light debris blocking the line. The train captain can fix the problem and then allow train to continue driving itself.
2. There's a problem that can't be fixed. The train can be driven slowly to the next station and then taken out of service. Yes, this will cause disruption, but should be a rare occurrence.

What happens at the moment if a driver is incapacitated on a non-DOO service?

21C101

Established Member
I agree that at present the technology is not advanced enougth to operate in the "open" environment. Perhaps in the future it will be (likely to be?) but i cant see that day being within the next few years!

Given that the law is currently being changed to allow driverless vehicles on the roads with driverless cars expected to be the norm within 20 years, its unlikely that the rather simpler task of making guided vehicles such as trains driverless wont happen.

quarella

I do not see why they were need to drive at full speed. In the same way that certain on board system failures requires a train to be moved at reduced speed to the next suitable location so the Train Captains could have a maximum limit to clear the line.

Tomnick

Established Member
What are these scenarios?

I can see two basic categories:
1. There's an easily fixable problem, such as light debris blocking the line. The train captain can fix the problem and then allow train to continue driving itself.
2. There's a problem that can't be fixed. The train can be driven slowly to the next station and then taken out of service. Yes, this will cause disruption, but should be a rare occurrence.

What happens at the moment if a driver is incapacitated on a non-DOO service?
How about the failure or other inability of the signalling system to issue a movement authority? If the interlocking won't allow a route to be set (and thus can't issue a movement authority), it's likely that you'd still be reliant on a driver acting on verbal instructions - proceeding with caution, checking that the route's set correctly and so on. That sort of thing happens fairly regularly, for all sorts of reasons, and would still require a fully trained driver - route knowledge and thorough rules knowledge - to deal with it.

Examining the line - again, requires thorough route knowledge (where exactly to examine?).

Even a very low speed move into the nearest station (how far might that be?) isn't that simple. How does the driver know which signals (or block markers, or whatever we'd end up with) apply to him, and how far his authority to move can take him? Speeds through crossovers? Other local instructions?

At present, if the driver is incapacitated or needs to be immediately relieved of duty, DOO or otherwise, the train stays exactly where it is until another fully competent driver arrives to take it forward.

O L Leigh

Established Member
Car:
There's something in front of me.
Will I get damaged if I hit it?
Will I damage it?
Is it human?
Can I avoid it?
Can I go left?
There's something to the left.
Can I go right?
There's something to the right.
Will I stop in time?
No.
Which item should I hit?
How much breaking do I need to do?
etc, etc.

The items in bold are ones that would apply with a train.
You see that the train in this scenario is a subset of the car? There are guaranteed to be scenarios where a car will also be unable to manoeuvre and so will have the same decision tree that a train would need.

*Sigh*

Sorry, but if you think that's all it is then you have entirely failed to grasp the differences between automating cars and trains. Automating trains is not about taking a subset of tasks from automating cars but about an entirely different set of tasks, ones that require far greater skills of visual recognition and judgement. As I said in the earlier thread on this topic, there are multi-billion dollar global corporations and research institutes who are struggling with these very issues and not making an awful lot of progress on finding solutions that work in the real world.

O L Leigh

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Given that the law is currently being changed to allow driverless vehicles on the roads with driverless cars expected to be the norm within 20 years, its unlikely that the rather simpler task of making guided vehicles such as trains driverless wont happen.

Whilst I am sure you know best, I wonder if the complexities of the operational environment within which the "simple.... guided vehicle..." runs may have escaped you. It is not quite as simple as a car. Tomnick and O L Leigh have suggested pertinent reasons why it is more complex than that.

I will say again that ECTS does not envisage a driverless train in the open environment.

21C101

Established Member
How about the failure or other inability of the signalling system to issue a movement authority? If the interlocking won't allow a route to be set (and thus can't issue a movement authority), it's likely that you'd still be reliant on a driver acting on verbal instructions - proceeding with caution, checking that the route's set correctly and so on. That sort of thing happens fairly regularly, for all sorts of reasons, and would still require a fully trained driver - route knowledge and thorough rules knowledge - to deal with it.

Examining the line - again, requires thorough route knowledge (where exactly to examine?).

Even a very low speed move into the nearest station (how far might that be?) isn't that simple. How does the driver know which signals (or block markers, or whatever we'd end up with) apply to him, and how far his authority to move can take him? Speeds through crossovers? Other local instructions?

It may be possible for the train captain to drive by sight and be prepared to stop short of any obstruction at low speeds eg 15mph max. This has already been permitted on the Thameslink inner core and east london line under certain signal failure conditions.

We already have driverless trains at 80kph on the Docklands light railway which is now quite a complex network. I would imagine that it would happen on intercity routes last if at all and initially on fairly self contained lines like merseyrail or Thameslink inner core and between St Pancras and Bedford.

Also, when a train was being driven manually under auto driver failure conditions, a control supervisor could montor the route ahead via cameras mounted on the front of the train and be in constant radio contact with the train captain acting as a "second man"

I don't think it is likely to happen on any wide scale in a timeframe that threatens many current drivers jobs, which I suspect is the principal unstated fear.
Whilst I am sure you know best, I wonder if the complexities of the operational environment within which the "simple.... guided vehicle..." runs may have escaped you. It is not quite as simple as a car. Tomnick and O L Leigh have suggested pertinent reasons why it is more complex than that.

I'm not convinced, trains do not have to share a road with pedestrians, bicyles and 40 tonne artics all at the same time and cope with constant unprofessional and downright dangerous driving by assorted numpties.

I will say again that ECTS does not envisage a driverless train in the open environment.

Indeed, but it is the logical next step, and has already happened on the now quite complex 50mph Docklands Light Railway. As above I would imagine fairly self contained lines with frequent services like Merseyrail as the first to see train captains replace drivers. I would imagine a prerequsite would be full grade separation, ie closure of all pedestrian, vehicle and occupation level crossings and possibly platform edge doors, with high speed mixed traffic lines like the WCML many years off from consideration if ever.

The economics also favour short lines with frequent services as they have lots of trains (so lots of drivers) and comparatively low fares. Long distance has fewer trains with much higher fares so the drivers are a much smaller part of the overall cost and the longer distance means installing the technology along the track costs far more.

As above I think some of the "it can't be done" can be translated "it mustn't be done as it would put me out of a job" which is not a realistic fear for the vast majority of current drivers.

One thing that might threaten drivers jobs would be if the road network went over to driverless vehicles and the rail network didn't; because the road network will inevitably go over from people owning vehicles to people summoning driverless vehicles on a mobile phone app at short notice, at a fraction of the rail fare.

This will decimate rail travel unless rail costs can be heavily cut, especially as if all road vehicles were driverless a significant increase in permitted speeds on motorways and high quality dual carriageways would be likely; with vehicles formed into rolling convoys ie virtual trains, joining and splitting as needed on the move. Such automated roads/motorways would also have massively more capacity than current roads (in the same way that moving block signalling gives railways more capacity) and could result in a rail network that makes the serpell report look generous in 20-30 years time.

Be careful what you wish for ;)
I'm sure I dealt with this point adequately well in a previous thread some months back. Click.

A driverless car only has to recognise when there is something in it's path in order to take evasive action. A driverless train will not be able to take avoiding action and, in most cases, will hit whatever the obstruction is. Therefore it needs to know exactly what it's hit in order to formulate it's next response.

Whatever you believe about the levels of advancement in computer technology the human brain is incredibly good at quickly identifying objects. We can easily tell the difference between a person and, say, a deer because we have the experience and ability to discern between the entire subset of "person" objects. Therefore we can tell that we're looking at a person whether they are large or small, standing, crouching, running, partially obscured, etc, etc, etc. We can also apply judgement based on experience. A person lurking at the side of the track could simply be waiting to cross or they could be a potential suicide. By judging their demeanour and attitude from their behaviour and facial expressions we can assess their state and calculate the risk. These are all tasks that computers are incredibly poor at doing.

O L Leigh

I really cant see that being a problem. Any such driverless train will have an on board camera. This will use image recognition to assess what the obstruction is and decide on course of action. Image recognition is getting scarily clever. Also the picture will be sent back to control who would be alerted to an incident and can view and take action.
It is widely thought that increased automation means less work for humans. Despite how much technology has moved on in the last 30 years, and how much automation has increased, it hasn't caused a corresponding increase in unemployment. The people previously doing tedious jobs that have been replaced by automation are now doing other things. So two jobs are now being done instead of one, which means increased productivity, and therefore growth in the economy.

Rich business owners do not want mass unemployment as they want people to be able to afford their products.

The problem is that low skill manual jobs are increasingly replaced with high skill technical jobs repairing and maintaining the robot.

This would be fine but for the fact that there are many people who only have the aptitude for low skill manual jobs and they are being thrown on the scrapheap ekeing a miserable existence on benefits

Last edited:

Tomnick

Established Member
It may be possible for the train captain to drive by sight and be prepared to stop short of any obstruction at low speeds eg 15mph max. This has already been permitted on the Thameslink inner core and east london line under certain signal failure conditions.

We already have driverless trains at 80kph on the Docklands light railway which is now quite a complex network. I would imagine that it would happen on intercity routes last if at all and initially on fairly self contained lines like merseyrail or Thameslink inner core and between St Pancras and Bedford.

I don't think it is likely to happen on any wide scale in a timeframe that threatens many current drivers jobs, which I suspect is the principal unstated fear.
The POSA indications on Thameslink (and elsewhere?) can only be used if the route can be set and proved though, which doesn't cover many failure scenarios. There are rather more pitfalls if you've got points wound and clipped in the route and the interlocking is objecting because it thinks that something else is going on! As we already know, even the wonderful DLR needs intervention occasionally, and that's my point - even if the thing drives itself, you still need someone fully trained to take over if necessary - so, unless there are particular capacity concerns, what's the point?

[/quote]I'm not convinced, trains do not have to share a road with pedestrians, bicyles and 40 tonne artics all at the same time and cope with constant unprofessional and downright dangerous driving by assorted numpties.[/quote]
Equally, though, road vehicles get to choose their own path within the constraints of the obstacles they encounter and lane markings. Rail vehicles have their path chosen for them and have to differentiate between a track worker standing in a tight position of safety and a member of the public who's trapped and in immediate danger, rather than simply steering around it. Maybe not the strongest example, but it shows that the challenges faced are rather different.

As above I think some of the "it can't be done" can be translated "it mustn't be done as it would put me out of a job" which is not a realistic fear for the vast majority of current drivers.
Not really the case for me! I do find it frustrating that the experience of those of us who deal with the challenges of operating a railway, in rather less than ideal conditions usually, often seem to be ignored by others (HSTEd ;) ) who have a wonderful vision of how it should all work in their perfect world!

One thing that might threaten drivers jobs would be if the road network went over to driverless vehicles and the rail network didn't; because the road network will inevitably go over from people owning vehicles to people summoning driverless vehicles on a mobile phone app at short notice, at a fraction of the rail fare.

This will decimate rail travel unless rail costs can be heavily cut, especially as if all road vehicles were driverless a significant increase in permitted speeds on motorways and high quality dual carriageways would be likely; with vehicles formed into rolling convoys ie virtual trains, joining and splitting as needed on the move. Such automated roads/motorways would also have massively more capacity than current roads (in the same way that moving block signalling gives railways more capacity) and could result in a rail network that makes the serpell report look generous in 20-30 years time.

Be careful what you wish for ;)
Until these driverless vehicles can all communicate with each other (even further away, especially whilst any 'human-operated' vehicles remain, I can't see any great increase in capacity. Even if and when that happens, it surely won't release much more capacity in the most congested conditions that are currently one of the limited factors. Where do they all park anyway, or do they all have to fight to get back out of the city after the morning peak and back in (at an exactly specified time?) in the evening? All seems far-fetched to me!

Status
Not open for further replies.