• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Driving Railtours

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a non-driver, I've always wondered how Railtours are driven. Obviously, someone who knows the route needs to be in the cab, but how do drivers get or retain knowlege for heritage traction? I'm sure that while driving a class 45 isn't a totally different experience from, say, a 57, it would require extra training. Anyone know how it's done?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

theblackwatch

Established Member
They are trained up - I know a couple of years back, several DBS staff from Warrington visited the ELR to undertake some 'Deltic' training.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I've always thought it must be a novel experience to go from driving a 66 on Friday to the likes of an A4 Pacific on Saturday. I assume that there are no longer any drivers of mainline steam railtours that drove when steam was still in service so they've all had to learn it on top of their usual locomotives?

scotsman

Established Member
I've always thought it must be a novel experience to go from driving a 66 on Friday to the likes of an A4 Pacific on Saturday. I assume that there are no longer any drivers of mainline steam railtours that drove when steam was still in service so they've all had to learn it on top of their usual locomotives?

There may be a few still

34D

Established Member

Several years ago, EWS did steam driver/fireman training for some staff.

So, whilst remote, driving a pair of 50's through the lakes isn't totally impossible.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
And in order to have driven steam on BR, a driver would have to be well into his 60's, and have made driver grade before the age of 21. Would that have been possible?

wolfman

So, whilst remote, driving a pair of 50's through the lakes isn't totally impossible.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
And in order to have driven steam on BR, a driver would have to be well into his 60's, and have made driver grade before the age of 21. Would that have been possible?
they maybe a few drivers left with steam experience as firemen but the majority of us have retired.all crews on steam hauled trains will have been trained and have passed the relevant exams.in resonse to your earlier post all drivers have to learn a route and must sign a route card that they are competant to operate over that route,as with traction drivers must be trained and passed by an inspector as competant to drive that traction.

wensley

Established Member
There are a few mainline drivers who worked on steam, not many and I don't know how many are passed to drive for charter operations modern day!

Status
Not open for further replies.