• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

DRS to sell heritage locomotives

Wyrleybart

Established Member
Yeah, so I’ve seen the 20 hours quote twice today. But one source claimed it had gone to York Thrall to be prepped for RHTT work so no idea what to believe.
Probably standby if it still has 20 TOPS hours. That is three days work, and would save three circuits from cancellation. It is doomed after the 20 hours anyway unless they have a change of heart so may has well use it down to zero hours doing something worthwhile, than being switched off in December with 20 hours still in the bank

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MattyJames

I understand this may be edging on the side of speculation but will 37s be used on the East Yorkshire RHTT next year? Albeit not with DRS?.

The_Train

Established Member
I understand this may be edging on the side of speculation but will 37s be used on the East Yorkshire RHTT next year? Albeit not with DRS?.
It's anybody's guess at the moment - didn't we spend years saying this will be the final year of the 20s and then they kept reappearing? :lol:

ExRes

Established Member
Info on WNXX shows the 37s were purchased as follows

37069 - Europhoenix
37218 - Europhoenix
37401 - Locomotive Services
37402 - Ardania Engineering
37423 - Europhoenix

37424 remains unsold

And no, I've no idea who Ardania are nor do they come up on google other than as a group of master engineer dwarves .......

The_Train

Established Member
Info on WNXX shows the 37s were purchased as follows

37069 - Europhoenix
37218 - Europhoenix
37401 - Locomotive Services
37402 - Ardania Engineering
37423 - Europhoenix

37424 remains unsold

And no, I've no idea who Ardania are nor do they come up on google other than as a group of master engineer dwarves .......
Interesting that Europhoenix have purchased more. Possibly to help out with the ROG contract considering their reliability issues of late?

Always good to see LSL boosting their fleet but yeah, no idea on that Ardania Engineering. No doubt it will turn out to be a new company who are looking to revolutionise railways by converting an old loco to run on fresh air :D

Slug1

Interesting that Europhoenix have purchased more. Possibly to help out with the ROG contract considering their reliability issues of late?

Always good to see LSL boosting their fleet but yeah, no idea on that Ardania Engineering. No doubt it will turn out to be a new company who are looking to revolutionise railways by converting an old loco to run on fresh air :D
Or could Europhoenix be purchasing for a source of spares to keep the current pool afloat?

No doubt all of those locos need work to return to the mainline, wheelsets being required etc etc and even 401 is due a big exam iirc.

Last edited:

The_Train

Established Member
Or could Europhoenix be purchasing for a source of spares to keep the current pool afloat?

No doubt all of those locos need work to return to the mainline, no doubt wheelsets being required and even 401 is due a big exam iirc.
It's always possible that any purchase of heritage traction is for a source of parts, although would Europhoenix purchase 3 for this purpose considering they only own a small amount at the moment? Could always be possible that they have other organisations away from ROG interested - Loram, maybe?

meld3

402 could be a typo as there is no company registered/on google by that name.
Maybe its Andania Engineering Ltd in Rotherham planning to add some wheels and make a new 40....

The_Train

Established Member
402 could be a typo as there is no company registered/on google by that name.
Maybe its Andania Engineering Ltd in Rotherham planning to add some wheels and make a new 40....
It is being suggested elsewhere that it is likely to be a typo and meant to read Andania Engineering - apparently they own 40013 (hence the name) which is operated by LSL at the moment.

D365

Veteran Member
Some oddball OTMRs (On-Train Monitoring Recorders) in this vehicle list; all I can say is good luck!

alexl92

Established Member
It is my understanding that 407 had the most recent B exam of all of them, so will probably be the last one standing… whether or not that means it’ll stay for a while or not I don’t know.

ExRes

Established Member
Europhoenix purchases 37069, 37218 & 37423 are due to be moved TnT by 37611 & 37901 on todays 1145 0M59 Crewe Gresty Bridge to Leicester LIP

D365

Veteran Member
Does Leicester have space for more 37s? What with the ongoing construction work.

ScotRail158725

Established Member
What stock remains with DRS and has all of it been sold on or have some went for scrap?

D365

Veteran Member
What stock remains with DRS and has all of it been sold on or have some went for scrap?
I can’t confirm vehicle numbers, but I’d be surprised if any of the 37/4s are scrapped anytime soon. The ETH (electric train heat) facility is still valuable.

fgwrich

Established Member
I can’t confirm vehicle numbers, but I’d be surprised if any of the 37/4s are scrapped anytime soon. The ETH (electric train heat) facility is still valuable.
Indeed, and some of those have had a lot, and I mean a lot, of money spent on rebuilding and overhauling them less than a decade ago.

When/if they are scrapped could any of their parts be used on other services, so long as they're not in terrible condition? Does this violate any ORR or some other body's rules?

D365

Veteran Member
As I've written before, I would be surprised if 37/4s are scrapped anytime soon. The ETH (electric train heat) facility is very useful - so much so that locos like 403, 407, 424 were pulled "back from the dead".

DarloRich

Veteran Member
As I've written before, I would be surprised if 37/4s are scrapped anytime soon. The ETH (electric train heat) facility is very useful - so much so that locos like 403, 407, 424 were pulled "back from the dead".
absolutely - someone in the spot hire market will take them on.

aem7ac

Fingers crossed the 401, 419, and 425 find new homes. The liveries on those 3 are amazing.