• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Dumbarton Central Original Platform 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ginge8991

Hi all, was just curious as to when the track was lifted at Dumbarton Central station and the original platform 1 was closed, was it as late as the early 2000s or earlier? Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Strathclyder

Established Member
A quick search of both RailScot and Flickr suggest that the track and canteries/overhead wires on that platform were still in situ in 1990 (how frequently it was actually used by then I couldn't say), being removed altogether by 1994. A precise date to their removal I can't seem to find however.

https://www.railscot.co.uk/img/8/727/ (the wires/canteries and points for the original Platform 1 can plainly be seen in this 1990 image)

The absence of wires/canteries and pointwork in the latter two images dating from May 1994 indicates that the platform had been taken out of use by that point.

(all images copyright of their original owners)

Last edited:

Railsigns

Established Member
It was numbered as Platform 4, and it was taken out of use with the resignalling on 23 February 1992.

Ex-controller

I don't think the current Platform 3 has any booked passenger calls?
No, but until relatively recently was used by terminating/orginatinh Springburn services which had been introduced around the time of the Commonwealth games, and remained in order to provide Dumbarton Central with a 6tph service.

It can be used during disruption though. The removal of the opposite loop was fairly short sighted as it provides some useful capacity during disruption.

Dr Hoo

Established Member
No, but until relatively recently was used by terminating/orginatinh Springburn services which had been introduced around the time of the Commonwealth games, and remained in order to provide Dumbarton Central with a 6tph service.

It can be used during disruption though. The removal of the opposite loop was fairly short sighted as it provides some useful capacity during disruption.
I was working in Scotland in the period before and after the removal of the Up Loop. Have to say that I was never aware of it being very useful during disruption. There was no facing crossover to allow a train from the east (Glasgow) to run into the loop/P1 and turn back from there. There was no trailing crossover to allow a train from the west (Helensburgh/Balloch) to terminate there and return either.

The remaining loop on the Down side is bi-directional and allows termination and return from any/either direction.

As an Ex-controller were you often busted by the loss of the loop?

Given the overall track rationalisation across the entire Glasgow/Strathclyde area under BR and the PTE, I have always felt that Dumbarton was well down the list of any short sightednesses.

In the current more expansive environment do Transport Scotland have any plans to fund reinstatement of the loop?

Strathclyder

Established Member
I believe the platform closed at resignalling in 1992.
It was numbered as Platform 4, and it was taken out of use with the resignalling on 23 February 1992.
Cheers to you both for providing those dates. :)

I don't think the current Platform 3 has any booked passenger calls?

Those services were, at one time fairly recently, extended by four stops either end (Dalmuir-Dumbarton Central & Springburn-Cumbernauld); the latter section when the Springburn-Cumbernauld via Gartcosh section was electrified in May 2014. These services latterly took over the Airdrie-Balloch services' stops at Kilpatrick and Bowling during this period, the latter services running non-stop between Dalmuir and Dumbarton East (IIRC; they may have ran non-stop to/from Central).

In the end, this service was cut back to it's original terminus at Springburn when the Cumbernauld - Falkirk Grahamston section was electrified in December 2018. Can't recall precisely when the Dumbarton Central-Dalmuir section was dropped - was most likely a victim of COVID - but I do clearly recall changing (read: dashing down and up the passageways like a scalded rat lol) onto a 318/320 waiting at Platform 3 with such a service from a ex-Helensburgh 334 sometime in the latter half of 2019.

Given the overall track rationalisation across the entire Glasgow/Strathclyde area under BR and the PTE, I have always felt that Dumbarton was well down the list of any short sightednesses.
I would have thought so too, but given that Craigendoran - Helensburgh Central, Dalreoch - Balloch and Westerton - Milngavie all were rationalized in one way or another, I'm not surprised Dumbarton didn't escape completely unscathed. But as you say, it's usefulness was hamstrung by the lack of facing/trailing crossovers allowing trains from either direction to use it in the event of disruption, the surviving Down Loop on the current Platform 3 being far more versatile in this respect.

In the current more expansive environment do Transport Scotland have any plans to fund reinstatement of the loop?
I don't think any such plans for reinstating the eastbound loop/platform 4 at Dumbarton Central are or ever have been seriously proposed by Transport Scotland. On a hypothetical wishlist of infrastructure improvements/upgrades for the North Clyde Line west of Dalmuir, the full redoubling of both Craigendoran - Helensburgh Central & Dalreoch - Balloch sections would likely place quite a bit higher. That's not to say that it's a completely bad idea, as it would add a welcome bit of resilience to the network both generally and in the event of severe disruption.

Cheshire Scot

Established Member
Prior to the closure of the Glasgow Central Low Level lines there used to be a steam hauled Balloch to Rutherglen train which was overtaken at Dumbarton Central by a Helensburgh to Airdrie (or possibly Bridgeton Central as a peak extra) EMU. I recall once making that connection and the subsequent atmospheric run through the smoke filled low level tunnels in a coach without lights!
The westbound loop platform used to see quite frequent use when Control would despatch the evening Fort William or Oban train on time from Queen St to then be looped at Dumbarton to await passengers who came out by EMU having missed their connection at Queen St. with the bi-di capability It was also the terminating point of the 1960s Sunday twice hourly Balloch to Dumbarton shuttles which connected to/from Glasgow with Helensburgh trains, and the reversing point for the summer TThO Balloch Pier to Craigendoran Pier train which was an essential part of the Three Lochs Tour (paddle steamers conveying the tour passengers on Loch Long, Loch Goil and Loch Lomond).

Status
Not open for further replies.