• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Duty Solicitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Egg Centric

Apparently magistrates courts have duty solicitors. This makes me wonder - when a TOC takes you to court (let's assume that attempts to avoid that have failed) I would have thought you should ask to see the duty solicitor for free legal advice. Particularly if you have a defence in law but Merseyrail (or whoever, I just get the impression they're particularly incompetent) is ignoring it. But I've never seen that suggested here.

Is that because railway offences/private prosecutions/??? aren't eligible for the duty solicitor? My interpretation from Google is that broadly speaking RORA ones would be as they're technically imprisonable while bylaws wouldn't be, but I can't find the actual rules just summaries of them.

Or would the duty solicitor just not be helpful anyway?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Haven't most of the people attending court for railway matters already made a plea, and therefore not eligible for such advice under the scheme?

Cortado

You might be able to use a duty solicitor, but it depends how busy they are on the day and I've little doubt they'd prioritise "juicier" cases if at all possible.

Puffing Devil

Established Member
Duty solicitors are only officially available for offences with a potential for imprisonment or loss of licence. They may assist others in court on the day, though that's down to capacity and need; fare evasion will be low on the list.

RPI

Established Member
Duty solicitors are only officially available for offences with a potential for imprisonment or loss of licence. They may assist others in court on the day, though that's down to capacity and need; fare evasion will be low on the list.
Fare evasion for a second time is technically imprisonable though.

island

Veteran Member
Regardless of the probability, which I agree is extremely low, the offence under Section 5 (3) of the RRA 1889 is "an imprisonable offence" and anyone charged with it, including for the first time, is entitled to the assistance of the duty solicitor.

The same is not true for byelaw offences.

Status
Not open for further replies.